Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ocean Scupper Valves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Earlier I mentioned that Ocean Kayak is offering push in one-way valves for their kayaks now. I ordered a few to see if they'd fit the Hobie scupper holes. Unfortunately, they turn out to be too large to fit.

However, the guts can be removed and fitted to the Hobie scuppers with a little imagination. One thing to remember, however, water isn't going to drain out of your kayak if the level of the scupper is below the waterline to begin with (i.e. Adventure Island). It will, however drain somewhat when you're underway. The AI was the reason I (and many others) have tried to find a solution for the water tub seat. The Ocean valve's guts work decently in this capacity. I'll try to take some photos later and post them.

Otherwise, I'd just as soon keep my scuppers fully open for quick draining.

Post subject: Re: Ocean Scupper Valves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I have found with the el cheapo valves from a $4.47 syphon, is that while underway, the valves actively suck water out, and even waves coming over the side disappear quick smart.

As you said, of course they cannot defy the laws of physics which sees water find its own level while you are stationery, but a recent passenger told me that it was a huge improvement, even without anything other than the standard Hobie seat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice to know that there is a noticeable improvement, and a passenger is certainly going to be more objective than us "owners."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
One thing to remember, however, water isn't going to drain out of your kayak if the level of the scupper is below the waterline to begin with (i.e. Adventure Island).

Hey Tom, I have also been experimenting with this idea.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=45380

I did find that the circular silicone valve fitted to the top of the scupper seems to still drain with only a little water above as it has very low opening resistance (see the last photo in my post).

You may find that using your valve above the Hobie scupper hole is best.

It also seems that a valve like Tony has used, being a flat flap and facing backwards makes the best use of the suction from forward motion.

Maybee a combination of both would be the perfect valve solution.

Post subject: Matt...scupper valves?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any of your parts suppliers willing to manufacture some silicon scupper valves?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The type valve I've been pondering is a bit different, but perhaps simpler to make. It's a check-ball type arrangement.

A straight, non-tapered tube containing a top and bottom collar trapping a check ball, with the ball sealing against the top by means of a thick O-ring. The bottom collar has no )-ring and is slotted to allow water to pass and exit by the ball. The tube is then Gooped in place in the hull's scupper openings.

Parts would be available off-the-shelf and very little work would be required to make them. It's just a matter of sourcing the right sized stuff, although I doubt it would be very hard to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom,
yes I think your ball valve is probably the simplest idea.

I did try a ball in tube type one way check valve from Whale products (see the white tube type thing in this photo).

But this was $10 and is designed as an inline check-valve for a bilge pump. It has a small spring to keep it closed and hence has far more opening resistance than required for a drain valve.

Your ball valve would be great, if the ball is a floating ball, it will open if the water drops and close when it rises. So great if you can find the right size parts to fit the narrow seat scupper nole.