Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Works For You?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone i was wanting to increase my tackle selection with stuff that works... so i ask what works for you mainly on Palegics?

This is what i have been using all year with good results...

Tabers

http://youtu.be/mOQgHStwpkI

Post subject: Re: What Works For You?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dusters with stinger rigs definitely work.
I also find Yozuris and Rapala magnums with the diving lip work pretty well.
Also around mackerel season, its hard to beat the good old fashioned feather lures or small spoon with a strong treble hook.

Speed jigging is also popular in areas where you can fish wrecks or ledges, I have good luck on 5-7oz speed jigs from Williamson or Shimano Butterfly Jigs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PLINE Squid Skirts. I like the 4.5" size and shove a 3/8oz egg sinker into the head cavity. I use a 4/0 Premium J Hook with a number 2 1X Strong trebble for the stinger. I use dusters but I think you will love how streamlined the squid skirt is and in our clear water.....you have a better selection of colors for fish other than kings.

I like your rig with the weight on the hook but i prefer the weight as a slide with the squid skirt for a couple reasons. The skirt slides down and completely conceals your hardware. It wont ride up like a duster. You cant see the J hook and you cant see the connection to the stinger. It hides it all and is very streamlined which is great for trolling.

Secondly for my earlier point, we are fortunate in this part of the world to have some jumping species around here. Sailfish and Dorado will nail these things with a cigar minnow trailing. That weight on the hook in your rig acts like a pendulum when they jump and can help free the hook when they start shaking their head. (I used to throw big swimbaits for bass on another coast and the weight of the lure was always a problem when they jumped). Same scenario here. The weight in the squid skirts rises up the line when the fish jumps and is not directly connected to the hook and we have less missed fish in my opinion. Especially the jumpy ones. You will see similar tactics with charter boats. If they attach a weight to anything, it is usually copper wire so it can fall off and not affect the fight and hook up ratio. Just something to try.

For colors....kingfish love the pink. I also use alot of flying fish colors since there were alot of them around this year when targeting other species other than kings. Blue and silver mackerel patterns worked will this year as well as translucent purple/pink. Live or dead cigar minnow and go to town. Did you find anything that worked well over down the beach in your neck of the woods?

Regards

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys .. looks like i have a shopping list!!! Cant wait until spring to try everything out!

Tabers