Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H-bar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the 1st generation H-bar is too high--almost hits me in the neck :lol: not really but is above my waist. my dealer can't seem to get the latest with the shorter rear supports. can the legs on the 1st one be cut and not lose stability when reassembled? can both front and rear supports be shortened? searched for h-bar and didn't get any hits. TIA.

Post subject: Re: H-bar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. I shortened mine by an inch in order to get the spacing and height I required.

As far as "not losing stability" I'm afraid I don't really know what you mean by that. The bar doesn't make the boat more stable and the lower the bar the less it will help with your personal balance. However, dropping it a little lower isn't likely to really hurt anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Yes. I shortened mine by an inch in order to get the spacing and height I required.

As far as "not losing stability" I'm afraid I don't really know what you mean by that. The bar doesn't make the boat more stable and the lower the bar the less it will help with your personal balance. However, dropping it a little lower isn't likely to really hurt anything.

yeah, my statement confusing. at the bottom of the supports there's something that connects it to the boat. is it easy to remove this, cut the support, and reattach and still have the h-bar as stable as before doing all this? can the front supports be cut as well?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a matter of drilling out two rivets, one on each bar.

Shortening the front (main) bars or the rear (support) bars, or both, will result in the same thing - the leaning bar will be lower for the same mounting footprint. A little goes a long way, so remember that you can always cut more, but it'll be a pain to add any back on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, captured image. couldn't tell if there was a screw or rivet above the black end. now I know. just picked up riveting tool today, so will be all set. THANKS Tom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You don't necessarily have to rivet it back - a SS screw and nylon lock nut works equally well and precludes you from having to remove another rivet should you ever decide to go even lower.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

having more problems trying to install the H-bar onto my PA12. the video shows installing it on PA14. of course, the 12 is much narrower. want to attach the front supports as far forward as possible but will drill into the hull if I go right to the front of the black starboards. any idea the farthest forward I can position them without drilling the hull? TIA.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, just talked to Kevin @Hobie and I think I've got this figured out. will be posting pix of the solution. think it will be awesome :D