Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI! New here with a question. Has anyone seen a relatively easy way to lift a Hobie Oasis to the roof of a Fifth Wheel trailer? I can visualize how it could be done but am hoping that someone has already invented the gizmo to do it. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My opinion... it may not be a good idea.

Even if you figure out a sky hook to lift the Hobie's 70 plus pounds (depending upon model) you'll then have to deal with some way to secure it so the boat and the trailer won't get damaged. That means you'll have to invent a roof rack mounting system that will accept a cradle for the Kayak such as the Hully Roller and Mako Saddle combination that mount on Yakima round bars. In my estimation, that would be just as difficult as the lifting phase.
You see... I'm still going through ideas and possibilities of how to properly secure a Hobie on my new Honda Civic coupe; I should have bought the four door sedan.

I also have a Ford F-250 with a lumber rack and an Arctic Fox Travel Trailer. To fit the Hobie on the gas guzzling Ford is pretty straight forward even though difficult to lift that high. The Kayak mounts on pipe insulation foam with the cockpit side down (like a Canoe) because I have no fifth wheel on the back to get in my way I can do that. I went trailer as opposed to fifth wheel so I can pack a quad.
Maybe you could rig a boat loader/rack like the Eide boat loader http://boatloader.com.
It may be the best solution to add a front hitch and load bar. Check that out on their website.

I cannot imagine how I would attach a rack to the top of the Fox Travel Trailer. I can visualize the forces that would cause all manner of damage to the rubber covered roof, at highway speed, plus the A/C, bathroom, living room and refrigerator vents would be directly in the way.

Pardon the length of my answer, I frequently get carried away and tell someone how to build a clock when all they asked is: "What time is it?"

Hope you get a solution...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bill, I guess the short answer is "no easy solution". I may switch to the inflatable Hobie. Oddly enough, I have a F250 and Arctic Fox Fiver.

Rogerracer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Put it inside the trailer!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have an answer, but I had to reply to say that your thread launched my eyebrows to low orbit. And I used to be a NASA launch commentator...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

could mount one end to the top of your truck, install a hitch receiver in the front of the truck and use a T-bar to support the other end of the yak. would make the overall length of the vehicle monstrous and would need to remember it's sticking out front. I would never do it but . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that we should be looking at the inflatable models for easier storage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why not just stand it up on end attached to the back.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/3343044390.html

This is not mine. Just an idea that answers the question. Have not seen this type before...

Bill in Spokane

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel