Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast base replacement
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new owner of a 1977 H16. I have sailed it twice now and have an issue with the mast base. When rasing using the step up the mast the base caught up on the outside edge and ripped out on the mast itself (rivets and all) It looks as if a previous owner may have cut the mast down at one point. I have another mast base from a H16 I am using for parts. Can the mast be cut down ? it seems like the only way logically to fix this but I have not seen anyone else have this problem on the forum?

Thank you,

Jamie

Post subject: Torn?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Rivets tore the extrusion? You could just place rivets in a different position. Worth a try if you are considering cutting the mast anyway.

Cutting the mast lowers the tang and makes the wires (seem) longer. This may effect the rigging, lower the boom. Probably not a huge problem, but I would try the other option first.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: mast base replacement
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried adding more rivets the first time but probablu used too small of rivets. I would be cutting about a 1/2 inch just to get past the ripped out rivet holes. Thanks for your help on this and your many other posts I feel like I have already learned a ton in a very short time on this forum

Thank you

Jamie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dude, this option may be more expensive but will be the right way to do it. The most imp issue here is mast lenght!

Have the welder guy at the local marina to weld a 1/2" or 3/4" strip of aluminum around the mast...covering ripped out holes and restoring the edge...U will have double the material to drill/rivet and get a great joint with the base casting. Without cutting the mast.

At least that is what I would do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Cutting off 1/4" to a 1/2" will not greatly affect the mast and should give you good metal to set new rivets into.

As Matt M. said, the shrouds and forestay will seem longer after that, so some adjustment will be necessary.

Welding metal on the bottom of the mast is not a good idea. Heating extruded aluminum (to the point of welding) weakens the metal significantly. It's not at all like welding steel. You would be creating a weak zone at the bottom of the mast where it is subjected to significant stresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well my guess is that double the material at the base will still be stronger than a single layer of extrusion...
Even if the welding actualy weakens the area as u say (which I doubt), the base will be stronger than what u suggest.

If u decide to cut, the thought of knowing ure mast is not exactly up to spec will be a nightmare, and then having to look at ure shroud adjusters a hole lower....uff

Man I would do all possible to keep ure rigging as close to original dimensions in every aspect.

My idea is not only a fix but actualy an upgrade to having it fail again!

1/4" to 1/2"...compare that to having our private member 1/2" shorter....how would u feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jamieb, In our second post you said you may have used the wrong size rivets. Did you use the wrong type of rivets? If you go to the hardware store and buy rivets, then you may have gotten aluminum rivets instead of stainless. I see this all the time. The aluminum rivets are not strong enough! Get some stainless 3/16X1/2 (I think) and do as Matt suggested--should work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same issue on my recently purchased 16. Base is just barely hanging onto mast, one rivet has cracked out the mast, the other is almost ready to do so (hairline cracks present).

If I understand Matt's suggestion, I can drill new holes the same distance from the bottom of the mast a couple of inches away from the existing rivets and into the mast base? I've ordered replacement rivets from Hobie. Then simply set the rivets in these new holes? Will an ordinary hand rivet tool work? I've only used it on aluminum rivets before, not stainless steel.

Does the mast base have a collar or flange all the way around so hole position doesn't matter?

[quote="mmiller"]Rivets tore the extrusion? You could just place rivets in a different position. Worth a try if you are considering cutting the mast anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just took a 6" strip of galvinized duct metal and some JB weild, glued the strip to the bottom of the mast, seems to have worked great.

Sam