Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After reading the threads on this forum about the Hobie Wave Spinnaker and the comments on using a Gennaker as an alternative, I contacted my local sailmaker to see if he could make a Gennaker for my Hobie Wave. He said it would not be a problem. He suggested I try to get the measurements for the Hobie Wave Spinnaker which he would then take and modify. Failing that he asked for the "I" measurement (bottom of the mast to the spinnaker tang) which appears to be 16' and the "J" measurement which I need the length of the Spinnaker Pole for. I can calculate my Maximum Luff easily enough (high school math). What are people's recommendations on the foot as I know for a Spinnaker it can range from 160% to 200% of the "J" dimension. I assuming a Gennaker will have a smaller foot as it is a flatter sail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some discussion here about 8' and 10' poles and other stuff.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthre ... Post247491

An elderly curmudgeon thinks that this is twice the complication for a 10% increase in speed. But that's just me .....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your information. Re the 10% difference in performance, I am sure you are right, it is the quest for finding more speed that makes the whole adventure fun. Up in Canada right now our boats are put away for winter so now is the time to come up with ways to make them faster for next season. Ideally I would still like to know what the stock Hobie Spinnaker pole length is so I can get my sail ordered - this seems to be quite a challenege as I have called stores and posted emails everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will measure my hobie spinnaker pole the next time I go out to the lake . It is hobie equipment. And yes we also have put our boats away except one club member who thinks he is getting a December sail in. Our lakes aren't frozen yet. Haveing very warm weather.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Clark - I have been searching all over the internet for this measurment and can not find it anywhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I measured and wrote the numbers down and then lost the piece of paper.

What I remembered was the Hobie spinnaker pole was 56.5 inches from mast to the end. the pully on the end sits back approx. 1 inch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Clark for getting back to me

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am 
Hi blaira.

How does your Gennaker work? Do you see a better performance? Could you post some pictures?
Thank you