Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I have sports and are thinking about sails but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with them. Do you enjoy sailing the sport and how does it do in brisk wind and suddens gusts etc. Thanks for any replies.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I each have a Sport with sails and they are pretty fun to use. Don't expect huge performance gains by using them, but can make pedaling easier, especially down wind. The Sport is surprisingly stable even in gusty conditions. All you do is just throw your body to the opposite side and hang on. If the winds are too strong, it becomes impossible to steer, but probably wouldn't be out in weather like that anyway. Really, I think the best part about the sails are that they look cool, and speed boaters can see you better.

Post subject: sailing a sport
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scott,
Thanks for the input. I'm glad you guys enjoy the sports and it's good to have realistic expectations of the sport as a sailing kayak. Sounds like another fun thing to do.

jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Jack!

I've been sailing the Hobie Sport for two seasons, but not with the stock 20 sq ft sail. I'm using 32 sq ft of sail, including a jib, which were made by EZ-V Sails. (now no longer in business) I've had great fun making modifications to the rig, including an outrigger, larger rudder, bowsprite, and leeboard. And the sailing has been great! I'm so enthusiastic about the Hobie line that I've order the new Adventure Island. If you want to see pix of the Sport rig, go to www.KFS.com. and look for postings by Punchinello.

If you're going to use the Hobie sail, I might suggest you also buy the outriggers called the Sidekick. This will give you and your wife much more stability if the wind kicks up and make for a more relaxed and fun sailing adventure.

Punch

Post subject: sailing the sport
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Norman,

Thanks for the tips. We will probably get sails for the sports next year. If we get the hobie sails do you think we will need the out riggers? We love our sports and I am sold on hobie products too. Road some small waves yesterday off Plum Island and it was a blast. Just have to figure out how to keep her going straight when riding the wave as it has a tendency to turn into it and can flip over that way.

jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, Jack!

I have been sailing my Sport for a couple years now, and it is definitely worth the effort. Great fun!

I would recommend the Sidekick for stress free sailing. I don't have them yet, and if a gust of wind comes or the wind dies while you are hanging out over the edge, you will dump.

Regarding keeping straight while riding a wave, I noticed in a video by Matt that he used his paddle and dragged it on the side opposite the turn.