Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to share the first mod to my PA.

I got the idea for the battery box from another thread on this forum and I couldn't be happier with it so far. I opted for the 1.5" Ram with the long 9" arm. It puts the sounder almost in my face without being in my way. Now if I could only get satellite to watch the game on this thing while I'm fishing...

Hobie, I gotta hand it to you with the built in transducer mount and the waterproof through-hulls. Installation was an absolute breeze. Hats off!

Untitled by jaymkania, on Flickr

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice clean setup! I use the rear waterproof storage for my fishfinder battery the same way. It makes it simple to unhook and charge when needed. Enjoy the new PA!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great idea! I have been looking at waterproof cases (Otterbox) to put the battery in and trying to figure out how to mount it inside the kayak. Seems the cases are too large to fit with the front liner and to large to fit through the rear hatch. You have just provided me with the answer to my problem!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks SRAces! I promise you I have been enjoying the heck out of it, and you are right it makes charging a breeze.

Islandspeed,

I had an outback and was using a plano waterproof box. I live in florida and do a lot of saltwater fishing. It lasted about a year and then all of latch pins started rusting and the plastic latches just started breaking. I couldn't justify the cost or added weight of a pelican case. This is basically all tupperware and it has its own place to sit elevated off the bottom of the hull. May not be watertight if I somehow submerged the hull or turtled the boat, but both are unlikely and that 9ah battery is only $26 from batterymart.com. Not to mention it is in the rear hatch and I never even use that hatch.

Glad it will work for your application also.

Cheers!

Like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really like your setup. Where did you get the wiring and connections? What size fuse did you use?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yaknrugger: Great setup, I'm going to plagiarize you.

I am looking everywhere for a connector like the one you have in the picture for the entrance into the box.

Where did you get yours?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

sorry for the delay. here are the links to the parts used for the battery box. they are west marine parts and may already be in your local store. i did wrap the end of the connector wires in electrical tape.

btw, this setup is the BEST way hands down. I had a custom box that i had velcro'd to the bottom of the hull for my outback, and its constantly getting beat up. i've had zero issues with this setup.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35103&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50566&classNum=50567#.UAcumrT8tX8

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=109505&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50566&classNum=50570#.UAcuw7T8tX8

also make sure to check out my mods video. i will look forward to seeing what you guys have done with your PA's!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwecNTyupk[/youtube]

Like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I suppose I should patent my idea, lol, but I wonder if the new deep buckets would hold 2 batteries?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thealaskan wrote:
I suppose I should patent my idea, lol, but I wonder if the new deep buckets would hold 2 batteries?

haha, i like the patent idea a lot. not sure if you could stack 2 but i'm sure something like this would fit:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-14ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html

I had one in my outback, it ran a sounder and a livewell pump...FOREVER. I just didn't want anything that heavy this time around.

Like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice install on the Lowrance. Picked up the Elite 4 DSI and am trying to determine the best place to put the Ram mount. I left the space on the board where you mounted yours, and placed a rod holder forward of that position. The problem I am finding is that when I try to paddle, I keep banging into the rodholder. I am rethinking where to place the FF/GPS. We fish a few miles out on the ocean, and worry about how I can get back in if the Mirage Drive fails for some reason. Seems I am banging into the chair, steering handle, or side of the kayak. It is very wide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
What a great idea! I have been looking at waterproof cases (Otterbox) to put the battery in

Make sure you understand, the hobie container is not waterproof. It is more like water resistant. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to do this same install and am wondering if you could get me a list of everything I'll need? Can i get the battery at west marine too?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Thinwater skinner wrote:
islandspeed2001 wrote:
What a great idea! I have been looking at waterproof cases (Otterbox) to put the battery in

Make sure you understand, the hobie container is not waterproof. It is more like water resistant. Good luck.

And... the Hobie batteries, plus their connections, are waterproof. We have the connections potted in a waterproof material.

Correct. Gear buckets are water resistant as are the hatches. Typically a small amount of water will drop into the hull when the hatches are opened, so anything needing to be "dry" inside the hull should be sealed in a proper dry bag or other.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt - I looked in the Spring 2012 catalog on the website and could only find the 6V live well battery listed. What is the list price and P/N for the 12V offering from Hobie?

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

copterchief wrote:
Matt - I looked in the Spring 2012 catalog on the website and could only find the 6V live well battery listed. What is the list price and P/N for the 12V offering from Hobie?

72025001 BATTERY - 12v FISHFINDER

$53.99 (USD/USA 11/2012)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)