Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dolphins
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just had a day with no wind, but Dolphins were playing!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPdBbnbFoc&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Dolphins
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of the best dolphin footage I've seen Larry. Jumping completely out of the water multiple times that close to your TI was amazing.

A tip: You should trim the first minute and half of the video so you get right to the good part right away. You can do that in the youtube settings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

About a year ago I was out in my Oasis (prior to buying my TI) when a adult and baby dolphin came up from behind me and looked over the edge of the kayak like they were trying to see what was inside. The adult then took off like a rocket. We were only in three feed of water and the dolphin was moving so fast that it's surface wake made this incredible ripping sound. It went out about 50 yards then circled back and was coming at me head on at incredible speed. Not knowing what was going on I grabbed my camera and started filming. About 10 feet from the front of the kayak a large redfish shot out of the water followed by the adult which nabbed the redfish and disappeared for a moment. It then resurfaced and tossed the redfish about 10 feet and appeared to wait for the baby to chase it. The stunned redfish suddenly tried to make a break for it but the adult was so fast and grabbed it again and tossed it about 30 feet. The footage I got was amazing when played in slow motion. I thought about putting it on youtube but seeing how often cool stuff gets stolen and then the true owner gets accused of copyright violation I decided against it. Attached is a single frame from the video showing the dolphin tossing the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakmaster, I saw a mom and pup out at East beach Fort DeSoto last year and the pup was very small and the mom took it to the shallows. Mom left the pup and made a big fast circle and had mullet jumping right at the pup. She did this about 3 time and the last time the pup caught one and they went out and gone, I didn't have my camera with me that day but sure wish I did.

That is a great picture. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw the news story on CNN today about the Dolphin murders and mutilations near Gulfport today. Man I think if I came upon something like that I would go freaking berserk. Just another reason why I always carry a marine radio, cell phone, and video camera with me whenever I kayak open water.