Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: surfing a TI
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

just wondering if anyone has surfed a TI at all yet, intentionally or unintentionally? i had the bright idea to surf mines yesterday when we had some fairly big looking waves breaking at our reef spot about 500m out. i had a newbie with me and it was her first time on a TI but she said she didn't mind trying it. :D

so we sailed out there and it seemed fairly relaxed when we got to the wave area so i just spun it around and waited. then this wave started to form so we peddled real quick to catch it and just as it got to us i realized it was about 7-8' tall and we were set perfectly. the wind really picked up as soon as we got in the middle of the wave and it really pushed us quickly (almost too quickly) towards the side, but just as i realized we weren't straight anymore the wave started going sideways too so we were good. we rode that wave for about 30 seconds and then it go too strong and it pushed the back end up about 4-5' at which point i got a little nervous since the nose of the TI was at the bottom of the wave (still above water though) and me sitting the rear were at the top of the wave, but just then the wave pushed through us entirely and went on. we got completely submerged but damn if it wasn't an awesome feeling....

just wondering how close of a call if any this was? i mean the hatches aren't 100% water proof and supprisingly there wasn't much water inside the kayak when i parked it but just wondering if a wave of that size puts bad stress on the TI or all the water crashing inside of it??

i sorta wanna go do it again the next time the waves are like that.

BTW there were 2 surfers out there at first but one seemed a little overwhelemed and left and other was pretty far away by the time we got to where he had been surfing.

Post subject: Re: surfing a TI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rusty,
I have had a bit of experience in waves with my TI, and it certainly is exciting. The biggest concern is that the rudder can be out of the water and therefore ineffective, just at the critical moment when you need it most. I prefer long large swells which give you some time to react.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

They do track down a wave much straighter than the AI and do not seem to broach as easily. As Tony said a long large swell is better. Stay away from the beach surf zone.

I have some nice bruises across my hip from yesterday pushing out through the waves on a beach entry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Here's a video from Pt. Loma in San Diego.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zha8KL-W6M[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fishing, family, sea trekking, sailing ... ... and now also surf
great versatility hobie island :P :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeah i never thought about the rudder being out of the water bit, i will have to pay real close attention to this on smaller waves before jumping into another big one.

at 3.18 in the video is exactly what i experienced cept in about a 1 meter larger wave. thanks for the video, now i want to get out there and try it again. i used to wait for big boats to go by in the chesapeake bay but now i live on the real ocean so we have much bigger natural waves to ride.

how big of a wave can we safely sail/peddle into? because in the video it looks like he peddled/sailed into and over about a 3' wave so is 6' okay?

i'm about to get my wife a stand up paddle board and then i want to take it out and practice on some small waves to see if i get the surfing bug at all. i love snowboarding but really haven't tried surfing since i was like 9 growing up in melbourne beach florida with my cousins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The size of the wave you can ride is very much determined by the shape of the wave. A very mellow and more of a rolling wave can be ridden at six feet easily. Breaking waves that are steeper will be much more difficult and will result the the bow of the boat going down. The long and flat hulls of the Islands need waves that are longer and flatter to keep the bow out of the water. Either pull out of the wave before it gets steep or stay out far enough on the shoulder if possible. You can probably find a way to scoot to the back to keep it up, but it will be hard to steer that way. An SUP will be a good way to get a feel for the waves and is probably a better choice for nearly all wave riding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool video Bcastile! Nice longboard waves you have there...seems to be the perfect spot to catch some waves with the TI once your arms are sour from paddling the longboard.

Did you record your longboard rides with a gopro headmount? Just curious because am planning to get a Gopro for xmas :D and am wondering if the headmount will survive a wipeout...

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

This video is actually of Jim, our Director of Engineering. I was on one of the AI's you see in the back. He was wearing a GoPro camera on his head and it seemed to work pretty well. You will want to tie a line to it though because it can fall off if you wipeout (we used the wetsuit zipper line). The straps get pretty tight, but it's better to play it safe.