Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just thought I would share an upgrade to the jib furling system that I have done. First pic is of course a cam cleat that is a vast improvement over that stock v jam. Second is to get a small block and run the furling line through it then back to a solid point on the drum ( I used where the bridals join the drum) and tie it off. Next tie a piece of line to the blocks Becket and run to your jam cleat. This makes a 1:2 setup that reduces a lot of the line on the tramp. Not that huge of a deal if you don't furl a lot but if you are like me and come in to the beach a lot this is really cool and lets the jib furl quite quickley.

Http://i.imgur.com/tyqgHh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GbIHKh.jpg

Sorry can embed the pics posting this from a kindle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did not think of using the furler with a 2:1 purchase. I think real neat and agree on reducing rope on the tramp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am doing the same thing on mine. I saw this setup online. It was on a Wave with a hooter. I replaced one of the pin/ring with a bow shackle.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea ! I 'll mount the "small block system". Thanks!
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Michel

You have a different spinny with furler system where it attatches to bow. How does it compare (performance and ease of use) to the typical standard with pole.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... G_0133.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pelican wrote:
I just thought I would share an upgrade to the jib furling system that I have done.
Thanks for the tip. I could have used this idea in a couple high wind events when furling on the water was difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Richard,
It sure looks like there is a spi but it is actually a Genakker. One of the reasons that a pole is not really necessary. The Genakker is to be used when sailing beam reach (a bit higher or a bit lower) So no broad reach...+ only to be used with max 2Bft. The main reason I installed the G. is to use it in very light wind conditions, our 18's sailing in +3Bft winds on beam reaches do very well. The other reason to NOT use it in high winds is structural : I have a high SX/Formula mast and the G. is fixed with a line to the top of my mast, there is no support for the mast that high up....
Another thing I changed last summer is adding a type Code Zero furler : to furl the whole thing up quickly when going through the wind (and unfurl when back on the beam reach of course) I tried the standard Hobie furler (same one as the jib system) but that did not go well. You do need to furl when going through the wind : the space between the jib and the Genakker's own forestay is just to narrow to pass/pull that much sail through it.
How does it perform : I did not really test this new (code zero) system on the water yet (it furled nicely on the beach though) Do not underestimate the needed mods to raise and lower the G.( no barrier but has to be thought through)
Michel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Love it. You can us a beefier line that will be shorter and less to deal with on the deck, and way faster.

H21SE
[email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

nasamedic wrote:
Love it. You can us a beefier line that will be shorter and less to deal with on the deck, and way faster.

That is exactly what I did. I believe I am running 1/4" at the moment. Makes it much easier to pull in