Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, when I retracted my centerboards for trailoring this weekend (I leave them down when parked at home, to deload the springs) I found one was sticking when fully retracted. On inspection I found the hook broken, but inplace. This is my second broken hook (the first was on the other centerboard), so I have rebuilt it before.. The first hook I broke several years ago and rebuild is still holding, so I plan to rebuild this one the same using a 3/4 fiberglass rod as the backbone. Anyone interested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Send me lots of pictures (high-res, please) and you may find yourself the author of a "This Old Hobie" article in the Hotline . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been working with a broken one all summer. I have re-built it at least 3 times with poor success. One time I put a 3'' stainless pin in as a back bone and that lasted the longest. I think the placement of the actual hook part needs to be exact or it binds too much no matter how strong you re-build it.
This last time I just cut it off drilled a hole and epoxied a 6" stainless hook (lag bolt) inside. Its still working after one weekend regatta but I have new/Used boards on the way. Just tired of messing with it...
Good luck I hope it goes better for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rebuilt one on my first used boat. I made a rough mold of the hook using masking tape, then poured in resin. After it cured, I filed and sanded it to the shape of the hook and laminated a couple layers of glass around it to provide reinforcement. It worked fine for the two years I owned the boat.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, it looks like there is enough interest so I will picture document the process with notes. Is there a good web site to post the pictures so I can link to it from here?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK - I posted the pictures of my hook repair.
http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=100823
This technique has worked for me on a couple rebuilds. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'm finishing up a board w/a broken hook that I bought on eBay for a "This Old Hobie" article in the Hotline.

My repair was a little more involved since I dissected the board to get a good look at the interior structure:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6lJMbws33A&feature=plcp[/youtube]
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mbounds - ja I did the disecting thing also to another board that I shattered hitting an underwater boulder at speed. I concluded it would be easier to build a new one than to try and fix the shattered board.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Despite all the (intentional) damage to the board, it has been fairly easy to put back together. It helps when there are two clean edges to join. Jagged, shattered edges, not so much.

The board is all back together now, just doing some final fairing. Gel spray will have to wait until we have warmer weather in Michigan. For some reason, my wife gets cranky when I spray gel coat in the house.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello
I am digging this old thread to talk pivoting centerboards.
I have recently picked up an old beat up Hobie 18 "raid" version with said pivoting boards and while trying to remove them I found that they weren't only hooked as shown on this thread but fixed more permanently.
a couple of pictures here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... lder%2cjpg
does anybody know how i can remove the boards ?
there is an inspection port on the top of the hull close to the centerboard case, but it only gives access to a waterproof casing with no acess to the centerboard case.

any ideas ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
My repair was a little more involved since I dissected the board to get a good look at the interior structure:

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a bit surprised at the absence of structural reinforcements at highly stressed points such as this on our Hobies. In the centerboard, it would have been fairly easy to mold in a piece of metal and prevent the hook from breaking away.

Another example is the mast base. There isn't enough material to prevent to cast aluminum from breaking when lowering the mast slightly off center.

Small quibbles, yet good to keep in mind when using or maintaining the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

french do it better wrote:
Hello
I am digging this old thread to talk pivoting centerboards.
I have recently picked up an old beat up Hobie 18 "raid" version with said pivoting boards and while trying to remove them I found that they weren't only hooked as shown on this thread but fixed more permanently.
a couple of pictures here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... lder%2cjpg
does anybody know how i can remove the boards ?
there is an inspection port on the top of the hull close to the centerboard case, but it only gives access to a waterproof casing with no acess to the centerboard case.

any ideas ?

I can't see the image showing how it's locked in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk