Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geordie...
I believe that I misread the listings for kayak valves...you were correct...
the only manufacturer of scupper valves appears to be Ocean Kayak.
They have a patent on the design which probably has discouraged everyone else from making a scupper valve.
And they only make the too-large medium valve.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes it is a pity that there is not a valve in about the right size. Hopefully someone mught start making one soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am really surprised that this has not been addressed by Hobie and we are still having to McGuyver our own. Wet butt seems like one of the more popular complaints about the AI and TI.

Have you seen/tried this?
http://hobieai.blogspot.com.au/
Another forum member here has used a syphon to apparent success. I cannot find his original post so do not remember his name here. Perhaps he can chime in if he sees this post.

His blog states the syphon is easily found in Australia, but does not give any info that would allow one to find the exact part online. Since he states the one he uses is a snug fit and only takes a tap with a mallet, I would think it adventageous to find exactly what he used. I can't imagine I would be lucky enough to find a different syphon with the exact same dimensions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like his idea. Looks like the basic plastic hand siphon pump, I picked one up @ Home Depot, about $3. Cut out the 2 check valves & trim the surrounding plastic. Silicone into seat drain holes from bottom of hull, valve facing towards back.

I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but for $3, it's worth a shot!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bjb,

I'm eager to hear how your fix worked! Yesterday the temperature broke over 60 degrees after hovering in the 30s for weeks. I'd have gone out except for the thought of sitting in a puddle of 40 degree water ...

ray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was hoping to get out, but lately something always comes up! May not be till spring now.

They sound like they work well for Spook, they certainly can't make my ride any wetter! :lol:
Actually, I never minded the wet ride that much!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They definitely do work, exactly as you would hope. My rear seat crew on my TI basically only gets soaked by water coming over the sides, nit from beneath, and there is no residual puddle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Idea. I was able to buy somewhat similar siphons but with a one-way valve on each end of the squeeze bulb. I had to use an Exacto knife to cut the valve pipes. Which left a 'flange' above the valve. The valves slide down into the scupper holes snuggly but don't extend below the hull. The wider flanges fit over the top of the holes giving me more attachment when I smeared on Marine Goop. The total cost was $2 for two siphons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

TIDALWAVE wrote:
Great Idea. I was able to buy somewhat similar siphons but with a one-way valve on each end of the squeeze bulb. I had to use an Exacto knife to cut the valve pipes. Which left a 'flange' above the valve. The valves slide down into the scupper holes snuggly but don't extend below the hull. The wider flanges fit over the top of the holes giving me more attachment when I smeared on Marine Goop. The total cost was $2 for two siphons.

Tidalwave can you let us know where you bought yours or the brand name?

Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ah...as usual, genius abounds amongst Island owners. Although, would just the one 'self drain' plug be sufficient?

Okay Mr Miller, the owners have raised the problem, and...offered varying solutions. Is it a project for the HOBIE 'Skunk Works' team to beaver away at?
Cheers, Vintagereplica
If it works ok...Modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to do both. As the valves reduce the bore of the drains, the water flow rate is reduced, and visibly slows water exit during testing, so closing the other one will result in water hanging about. Leaving it open will allow water back up, defeating the purpose.

The downside of the non-return valves is that they offer potential to trap stuff like leaves etc, which can be hard to dislodge as you cannot blow out the garbage from below due to the valves.

I only fitted a pair to the bottom of the rear seat scuppers on my TI, and I think I will fit the valves at the very top of the front seat scuppers to make cleaning easier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vintagereplica wrote:
Ah...as usual, genius abounds amongst Island owners. Although, would just the one 'self drain' plug be sufficient?

Okay Mr Miller, the owners have raised the problem, and...offered varying solutions. Is it a project for the HOBIE 'Skunk Works' team to beaver away at?
Cheers, Vintagereplica

I sure agree that this is an opportunity for Hobie to improve the Owners' experience! We went out on our TI yesterday for the first time this year and, although the air temperature was in the high 70s F, my butt was soaking in water that felt like the high 40s!

Sure, I could (and eventually will) do the modification. But that means a trip to Home Depot, cutting out the little flapper drains, disassembling the TI and flipping it over, installing the drain valves, righting the hull and reassembling the boat. That's the better part of an afternoon that I otherwise could spend on the water. Heck, I'd happily pay $25 each.

How about it, Hobie?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found the 'white' poly siphons in the automobile parts section at Walmart...they didn't have a manufacturers label on them. I brought a small ruler with to check on the valve diameters. They had several sizes. The siphons had two one-way valves. The largest diameter was just right. I believe that I paid less than $2 for each siphon. I bought three. The first one I sliced up and didn't leave enough 'flange' to seat correctly in the scupper hole. The next valve had just enough flange to seat correctly and I applied a little Marine Goop to the flange to hold the valve in place. The Goop allows me to easily pull out the valve for cleaning or replacement. As mentioned by others...the valves do slow down draining. But even slow draining is better than sitting in water that is pumping into and out of the scuppers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sparrowe wrote:
Vintagereplica wrote:

Cheers, Vintagereplica

I sure agree that this is an opportunity for Hobie to improve the Owners' experience! We went out on our TI yesterday for the first time this year and, although the air temperature was in the high 70s F, my butt was soaking in water that felt like the high 40s!

Sure, I could (and eventually will) do the modification. But that means a trip to Home Depot, cutting out the little flapper drains, disassembling the TI and flipping it over, installing the drain valves, righting the hull and reassembling the boat. That's the better part of an afternoon that I otherwise could spend on the water. Heck, I'd happily pay $25 each.

How about it, Hobie?

Sparrowe, I can send you a couple of pairs for your TI immediately if you want @$25 a pair. I remove all the surrounding plastic from the valves and embed them in clear tubing, to make a nicer fit in the scupper, and to protect the flap from any goop used in insulation
Just PM me for payment details.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[/quote]
Sparrowe, I can send you a couple of pairs for your TI immediately if you want @$25 a pair. I remove all the surrounding plastic from the valves and embed them in clear tubing, to make a nicer fit in the scupper, and to protect the flap from any goop used in insulation

Just PM me for payment details.
Tony[/quote]

Tony, thanks - I sent you a PM.