Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R&R Storage on new PAs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems to me that Hobie did away with some of the PAs best features in order to accommodate the new seat. Not sure I like the trade off but what can you do.

My question is what are you owners of new PAs doing to store your rods and reels above deck. If you put the rods into the forward tubes do you just let your reels lie on the deck and tangle up? Without the little stair things on each side I see no way to keep the rods separated. I thinking of maybe adding some sort of commercial rod butt storage base to each side of the hull but have not found exactly what I am looking for yet. Any ideas?

Also the side handles are now so short that if two people try to lift the boat by the side bars the thing just does a nosedive. Has anyone added additional handle length or grab bars further forward to help with this problem?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have only had my boat 2 months (approx.40 hrs. on the water)but I have not had any tangle problem with the storage tubes.I have used rod sleeves,but usually do not as they are somewhat troublesome to remove then store.Hope this helps.

A day on the water is better than anything else!

PA 12 Olive

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no issues with this problem. I usually transport my rods in the horizontal rod holders, then put them in a vertical holder just before I launch. When I do transport them, I just stagger them so the reels don't get tangled. However, I never carry more than 4 rods so there are usually just 2 rods on each side. I personally just can't see the need for more.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I usually bring out between 5-8 rods depending on where I'm going and what I'm looking for, haven't had any issue yet. I usually put 4 rods in the horizontal storage then by bait catching rod and jig rod in the two vertical rod holders. Any additional rods go in the holders on the bait tank. Still no tangles and all my rods are 7'10'' or longer with the longest around 9 ft.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What about just using a 90 degree elbow point downward to make for a rounded end?