Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link to the St Francis YC who will be hosting this years event. You'll find info on accomodations, etc. Hope to see you there!

http://www.stfyc.com/default.aspx?p=Dyn ... 051&b=1&sl

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Well, today I made lots of new friends. I now have friends in the Coast Guard, friends in the San Francisco Police and especially friends at the St. Francis Yacht Club. I also found out that the waves get really big outside the Golden Gate bridge. But I digress.

Today started out innocently enough. We're literally in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge at Crissy Field, just west of the St. Francis YC. The morning was spent unloading boats, putting them together, fixing them up - it seems like everyone is on a charter boat. For sure, Phil Collins (OK), Steve Leo (CA), Jake Sailer (CA), and I are all on borrowed boats. It was nice to see a good portion of the Northwest contingent here, too - Dave Wilder, Graham McGlashan, Scott Ruggles and Jan Christensen had driven down for the big breeze. Bruce Fields (AR) and Wayne Mooneyham (CA) are here, too.

We were watching the big boat races as we worked on the boats and marvelled as they tacked yards from the shore, avoiding the current as they worked upwind against it. The wind was building - it was blowing a good 15-20 by the time we were ready to go out and play at about 2 PM.

Phil Collins, Wayne Mooheyham and I went out to shake the bugs out. It was certainly windy, but not out of control. Phil and I worked upwind about a mile towards the Golden Gate bridge. I was determined to sail under it, since I had sailed under the Verrazano Narrows bridge earlier this year during the Statue of Liberty Race and wanted to add the Golden Gate to my sailing resume this year.

Phil turned back before we got to the bridge, but I sailed on, underneath the bridge, then turned back and headed downwind. I hadn't gone very far before I stuffed it into the back of a wave, buried the bows back the front crossbars, and did a very slow capsize.

"No problem," I thought, "with this wind, I'll have this thing up in a jiffy." The boat went immediately turtle and stayed there. Nothing I tried could free it from its determination to have the pointy end down. It wasn't too long before I realized that I wasn't drifting down wind. I was being carried upwind - towards the bridge again - by the current. "This is not a good situation," I said to myself as I drifted precariously close to the south bridge pier. As I drifted slowly under the bridge, I thought that this is not how I wanted to see it.

It wasn't too long before a couple of Coast Guard RIB's showed up, followed by another one and a really cool, all black RIB from the San Francisco Police. They were all very nice, but they weren't really prepared to assist me in righting the boat. After some serious negotiation, they called the St. Francis YC who sent their harbor master and a helper out. Those guys were great! Three tries and the boat finally came up. They tailed me back to the beach (I had drifted nearly a mile outside the Golden Gate Bridge).

I had had enough excitement for one day. Tomorrow, the races start at noon - the wind should be up and the excitement starts all over again.

I'm going to work on sealing my mast tomorrow morning.

Last edited by MBounds on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Matt - You're Lucky
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Matt,

Sorry to hear that your first sail ended up "IN" the bay. You're lucky. Division 3 had (or has) a regatta up the coast in Bodega Bay called "Shark Feed". The area is a breeding ground for great whites. Keep your appendages out of the water! Have fun and kick A$$.

JB

PS: Rochester was good. Little wind on Sat - no racing. 4 races on Sun in shifty double wire wind. Ended up second out of eleven, one point behind Bob O. and Wicked Steph. Everyone sends their best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had a phone report from Jeremy from Surf City on the course (chase boat) at 2pm it was 15kts and sunny... sounded like a nice day - 16 boats on the race course.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The marine layer was thick this AM and didn't burn off until well after noon. The first race started promptly at noon, though. About 10 kts. and a nearly slack tide (which means at any particular point on the course, the current could be running upwind or downwind).

Steve Leo (CA) had a great start (he rolled me) and everybody headed for the shore and shallower water, since the tide appeared to still be coming in (against us). Steve was first around "A" and everybody hung in the middle of he course, hoping to hitch up with the current. Somehow, Steve Aquart (TX) ended up rounding the gate first (I hit the mark because the current was running upwind now). Steve A. ended up winning the race.

Race two, the current was in full flood - I headed out and tacked way early for the mark. I laid the mark, rounded first and led the rest of the way. Wayne Mooneyham was right there most of the way, but Steve Aquart (again!) managed to run him down and come in second to Wayne's 3rd. The sky had cleared, the sun was out and the wind was building.

Race three, the wind was up, but the "Sucker" had yet to make an full appearance. A very nice 15 kts prevailed for most of the race, but it was very streaky. Scott Ruggles (WA) led around the first mark, but jibed away and dropped back. I led around the gate and again around the weather mark, but Dave Wilder was relentless and ground me down towards the finish. I'm still not sure who won that race. Whoever did, did it by inches.

Tomorrow promises more of the same - the marine layer is supposed to burn off earlier and the "Sucker" is supposed to be in full force.

Post subject: Results and WebCam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can get results on the St Francis Yatch club site:

http://www.stfyc.com/Files/2006%20Hobie ... %20Mon.pdf

There is a WebCam that points to part of the course, but is far away.
http://www.crissyfield.org/crissy/webcam.html

You see a little tower on the lower left, that is 100 yards in the water and they will sometimes run inside of it. A mark is off to the left and Start line way to the right, none visible on the picture. So you get to see bots go by.

Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dave....

On the Crissy Field webcam...is the gate to the left? Just trying to get my bearings.

John Bauldry 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the Crissy Field site, click on weather, and real time wind directions. Click again on area by the bridge. Great data on wind direction and speed.

Way to go Dave Wilder on scoring the bullet. Wish I was there to keep Graham company. :P
Caleb

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: WebCam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TigerBoy, Left of the picture is the gate (West).

Post subject: Monday's wind
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let see if this works, I got this from the WWW.Iwindsurf.com site, membership required, but you can get a free trial for 10 days. The reporting station is actually in the tower you see in the web cam, basically right on the midle of the course.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... +Yesterday

I tried posting a JPG, but could not. I don't know if the URL will work.

dave

PS At 10:15 AM Tuesday wind in .5Knts

Post subject: Report from Jeremy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Report from Jeremy

Hobie 17 NAs Daily Report Day 1- Monday August 7, 2006

The day started with a quick skippers meeting in the Golden Gate Room of the StFYC by PRO John Craig. Race 1 started noon sharp, in an 8 knots of breeze and a gradual clearing sky. The flood was on and short tacking the city front looked like the call. The sun made a solid appearance by 1pm right as the firs trace finished with Stephen Acquart taking the first shot. Mooneyham, Pettit, and Wrinkly mixed it up for the next positions.

By race 2 the ebb had started at the signal boat and our first general recall ooops. I flag showed and off they went. Matt Bounds figured it all out and went wire to wire. Acquart, Mooneyham and Bagley got in there.

Race 3 went off, the boys had figured out the ebb and we got started in 10-12kn, 14 at the top end. The elevator seemed to work on the outside in the bigger ebb. Again, Matt Bounds lead the whole thing, but it was Dave Wilder who prevailed with Matt taking the 2 spot. Phil Collins showed up, and Mooneyham with the consistency.

It was one of the most beautiful sailing days I have ever seen in the bay! The maximum wind was 15 knots at A-mark. The City Front is very photogenic and we got a few great pix with the Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz, Marin Headlands, and the entire city of San Francisco.

There were a few stars of the day!! Matt Bounds got the current and conditions wired early on. He got several bullets! There were a few Tiger sailors on 17s that didn't do too badly either.

The Saint Francis Yacht club is amazing! Those of you that have volunteered for Hobie regattas in the past would appreciate the professionalism that this YC exhibits for regattas. At least here in Div 3 we always have to hustle to get working boats, drivers and jumpers. The chase boats and hardware are all top notch, they have too many volunteers that we had to turn a few people away, and the race committee is outstanding! I hope that they let us come back and do more regattas here! Enjoy the pix. Absolutely perfect sailing, wish you were here!!

Jeremy and Adam

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: SF sailing!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'd be hard pressed to get a better day on the bay than this. It's about 75 degrees and sunny. The AP went up around 10am and we are waiting for the breeze to fill. Looks like it might be another light day like yesterday, but who knows. The currents will be a more substantial factor today. It was great to be on the chaseboat with some real St Francis locals. I learned about all of the little micro currents along Crissy field.
I don't even know how to take photos here, the Gate, Alcatraz, the Cityfront, Marin Headlands---I'm not sure what I like better for a backdrop. I'll post more as the info comes in.

Post subject: Sf Wind
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still waiting!

[img]http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/~wind/Tmp/wind20065298.gif[/img]

Post subject: SF sailing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AP is down. Races are off. Course A 11-12 kts at the committee. Collins flipped at start. First to A Pettit, Bounds, Mooneyham.

*Race 1 finishers: Pettit, Bounds, Mooneyham.

* Race 2 is off in 14.5kts.