Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting my Bravo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am having difficulty righting my Bravo. I'm 69 and a little overweight. My sailing partner rights it quite easily. I find I try to reach over the hull to grab the hiking strap; I can't reach it. Even the videos I see show people trying to reach over the hull. I have been thinking I could go to the A-frame and climb over. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a video showing how to do it?

Post subject: Re: Righting my Bravo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi JM

I have pretty long arms so I don't have the same problem. However, I do remember feeling quiet awkward in trying to reach for it on my first dumping. However after thinking about it a little bit, I wonder if you rigged up a line that goes from the middle of the righting line and the other end ties off on the forward section of the tripod somewhere. It should be easy to grab and unhook this line from still in the water. Then fling it up over the hull and use it to pull the righting line to you instead of having to reach for it. It might also aid in that awkward climb onto the hull to complete the procedure.

It could possibly be made wholly or partially of thick bungee to keep it from flapping around when not in use. It would take some measuring and experimentation to perfect the length needed.

Disclaimer. Obviously, I have never tried this but in my mind, it seems like it should work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

There should be a righting line on the bottom of your boat. They are blue/white striped and tensioned toward the rear with a bungee. I can't find an image, but here's the diagram. The righting line goes up the forward scupper holes and ties off to the A frame.

You can see where the righting line ties off to the A frame in this photo:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you.

Unhook and fling are two things I did not know to try. We do have the righting line tied to the A-frame. As I recall, I would pull (not unhook) on the righting line, and it would provide no resistance.

Now I have to think about this all winter :(

Anyone else reading this that may have a video would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Perhaps I misread but I thought he knew where the righting line was, he was just having trouble reaching over the top hull to grab it while standing on the bottom hull.

The righting line works best when it is pulled from the deck side over the top hull. I suppose you could try to use it from the underside but in watching my wife try to do this, the result was that the line was too long for an easy grip and your leverage would be weaker.

My concept was assuming that he was having trouble reaching over the top hull to get at the righting line. I really don't think this should be a problem at all once you are in a standing position but I didn't want to make any assumptions about his arm length or comfort in standing/balancing in this position so thus I suggested a 2nd line that could be tied off at the very bow of the boat where it could be reached before even climbing up on the bottom hull.

I don't know of a video and this morning was the first day I saw ice along the edges of my bay so I'm not making one :) , but if you have the assembly manual for your bravo, there are some good photos of the process on page 14. If you do not have a copy, it can be downloaded or viewed here.
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/BravoManual.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, again.

Page 14, #3, 2nd picture, "stand up", is where I have trouble. You will notice the man in the picture is holding onto the underside of the hiking strap to stand. It is that hiking strap that does not provide enough resistance for me to stand. In other words, as I pull on the strap it stretches so I can't keep my center of gravity over my feet. My sailing partner is younger and stronger, a hockey player, and does it easily.

My plan is to attach a short rope to the front of the A-frame I can throw over the pontoon, grab, and stand up. From there, I am confident to succeed.

Alternatively, the righting rope comes through the hull where I can use it to stand instead of the hiking strap.

Now all I can do is wait 'til spring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oops, I completely misread your dilemma. I had righting line on the brain and you were talking about the hiking strap. Ironically, my idea still had some merit. LOL.

Sorry, was just trying to be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it possible your hiking straps are too lose? When sailing, I can get both feet under one strap, but not one a foot under each strap - its too tight.
After I flip, I use the 'upper' strap to pull myself up as well; it does not pull out very far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I find it easiest to to grab the blue/white righting line on the bottom of the boat up where it goes through the scuppers. I put my feet on the lower part of the hull and pull the line and push my feet. Very easy to right the boat this way. Be sure to release your mainsheet before righting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Earlier in these posts I realized I was not using the blue and white line. Usually my sailing partner is forward (you should now be able to guess who is at the tiller when we go for a swim); the righting line was not right in front of me.

Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Someting you may want to look at

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=37519