Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wing Pin Problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After installing the wing seats on my new Getaway, the starboard side pin holes are perfect; however, on the port side I really have to push/sit down hard on the aft end to pin it outward and push in real hard on the fore end to pin it inward. I've tried looseneing and readjusting both sets of bolts a couple of times, but I still have an alignment issue. Any ideas? I really don't want to drill any extra holes. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Wing Pin Problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

This from a similar post:

Quote:
I gave it some thought, and I think if I loosen up the adjustable leg, pin both legs, then tighten the adjustable leg again, it'll be OK.

I'm told by our engineers that there is no real adjustment. Maybe loosen attachment bolts, pin the wing and then tighten in place.

Reality is... one end pinned will hold the wing from folding in. That is the only real purpose of the pins when in use.

Sitting on one end ... if it works to get both ends pinned in is a good solution as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt: I tried to loosen and retighten; however, the same issue remained. If I drill a second hole next to the existing holes and then ream them out to create a larger oblong/oval hole, is that going to create any other problems? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

The only function of the pin (other than transport position) is to keep the wings from folding in while sailing. One pin is enough to do that especially if you don't use trapeze.

The ball lock pin will not lock in an over sized hole. Maybe another hole all together?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm leary of drilling any new holes. I guess I'll just live with it for now... Maybe after sailing awhile (and hulls/crossbeams flex a bit?), the holes will line up a little better.
Thanks.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problem, and it turned out that one of the shafts had not been drilled properly at the factory. Read my post here, see if it is the same problem you are having:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42758

In the end, I took a drill and a bit, and drilled new holes in the arm. Haven't had any problems since then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why can't you just drill the hole out slightly bigger and then just get a bigger ball pin. You would only have to go a few thousands bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's probably just off 1/8" to 1/4", so I can insert and remove the pins. It just means either pulling down real hard on one and pushing up real hard on the other. It may loosen up with time. I'd rather not have to drill any other holes (or ream out existing holes and get new pins). I think I can live with it for now... It would just be nice if the port holes lined up as nicely as the starboard holes do. Thanks for the input.