Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Action Cams
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's already available, but not from GoPro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the video at the top of this "Sailing" forum - "speed record broken".
Incredible video of the new speed record. You'll see the GoPro camera mounted on the bow of the boat, and another GoPro camera mounted on the helmet of the skipper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gopro's are everywhere these days. Pretty much any reality tv show uses em it seems like. I think gopro pretty much owns the market.
I have had my hero 2 for a couple years and have 0 complaints. I have a Hero 3 Black on my christmas list. Having 2 cams, control-able from the same remote will be sweet!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock - that is what I have also found webbing, the GoPro appears to lead the pack, if a bit pricy. I started to put a package together at the GoPro site and quickly got up to over $600.00 (Hero3 Black, 64G microSD, external battery pack, external LCD, extra battery, HDMI cable, rollbar mount, etc). GO BIG or go home. I think I'll wait till after New Years and see if there are any discounts (unlikely), but I won't need it till early March. I too love the multiple simultaneous camera control feature (I have a friend with a Hero2 and another planning to get a Hero3) so we could rig the boat with multi-vision. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I made the jump and ordered a GoPro Hero 3 Black for my birthday. I don't know who coined the term 'self-gifting', but I'm good with it. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully with some video posts :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQVU1XvUXdw
gopros are worth the money this video was filmed with a hero 3 black on the bow and a hero2 on the mast. the wifi is amazing for the hero 3!

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Video optikid!

I gota find some time to edit/compile some of my stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

People keep talking about these wifi capabilities and remotes, can someone explain what good that exactly does? Or is it more like bluetooth? I am fairly certain most of you don't have wireless routers on your cat so it doesn't make sense to me.

I feel like an old man for asking this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You have a wireless remote that connects to the gopro so you can turn it on and off at a distance. Also they have a app that you can control it with and see what the camera sees. The hero 2 you have to.buy a accessory to have wifi the 3 it's built in.

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nevek - I understand your concern. Optikid is absolutely right. I have an older GoPro camera and I mount it on my 10 hole adjuster (forestay & Bridle wires). Thereore, it's virtually inaccessable to me once I'm on the tramp and out sailing. The battery, when fully charged, is only good for about 2½ hours. The wireless remote allows you to turn the camera on and off while you're on the boat. I can't do that with my camera and I can't see what I'm shooting. Both are very nice features, but also more expensive. You get what you pay for. I have to start and stop my camera from recording while I'm on shore. For shorter trips across Mission Bay I shoot videos; for much longer trips in the ocean I set the camera to shoot 1 photo every 60 seconds. Since I'm shooting at wide angle (170°) all my videos and photos come out great, even when we're trapped out on either side of the boat.
I hope this helps.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the Drift Stealth or Ghost, the remote feature is built in. You turn the camera on and let it go to "stand by" (6-7 hours worth on a single charge) and then you have a remote that allows you to start and stop recording from up to maybe 25 feet away.

The new Drift Ghost also allows you to switch modes (video, stills, burst, etc) from the remote. It will also take still shots while you're recording. The remote has a multi-colored LED light to let you know which mode the camera is in and/or what it's doing at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

you can switch modes on the gopro remote
gopro remote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqGYtKRiXs
gopro app
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj55JAaGWXQ

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid wrote:
You have a wireless remote that connects to the gopro so you can turn it on and off at a distance. Also they have a app that you can control it with and see what the camera sees. The hero 2 you have to.buy a accessory to have wifi the 3 it's built in.

That makes sense, I was getting the impression that you had to be connected to a wireless network which didn't make much sense considering where you normally are using one of these.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That being said, next sale that comes along I will be getting a H3 Silver as a bday present to myself...looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I got it. A Hero 3 Black with lots of bells and whistles. I'm looking into designing a trolly for it on my H17 Sport bow spreader bar. There is a slot along the aft side of the bar that I can build a track car to slide in. I can then mount the camera on the car and with a coutinious loop pully system allowing me to move the camera port & starboard (and anywhere between) from the trampoline. I'm also thinking of getting a Hero 2 (from Costco) and mounting it facing forward on a pole attached to and angling back from the center of the rear crossbar. That way I would have 2 prospectives (fore and aft).

Question: Has anyone tried to control 2 Hero cameras using the Wi-Fi controller or iphone app? If so how difficult was it.