Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie outback warranty?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been an outback owner for about 5 years and love it and the customer support...unfortunately i'm on my 3rd hull due to cracks near the drive well. I was told that if i get another crack in this one that the original warranty may not cover another new hull. I also have a friend who bought a used outback and after a year in it he discovered multiple cracks in the scuppers behind the seat and its looking like hobie may not send him a new hull because of an expired warranty. Like i said its a great product but hobies resail value is going to go down the tubes if they don't honor there customers...he bought it from a well known dealer and he is trying his best to get him a new hull. But if he doesnt and this starts happening a lot than who will ever buy a used hobie when they are known town suffer cracks and they will not be able to have the hull replaced? Or even a new one knowing that down the line you may be stuck with a cracked hull...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is the same person who bashed Hobie on his only other post on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=29422

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2005 Outback is still going strong. No cracks. No problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thats a real helpful reply there man...i did bash them i am not denying that it is a great product but there is on going issues with the hulls and now my friend might be out a lot of $ and thats not fair and its not fair to anyone else who buys a used hobie. And i love all the people who pop up and say mine is going strong!!! Well good for you but i know tons of loyal hobie owners who have gone through multiple hulls over the years. Like i said im on my 3rd. So i was wondering if there is a rep or someone that has more insight into the problem other than oooooo this guy bashed hobie you act like i kicked your dog or pissed in you cornflakes or something...sorry i hurt your poor wittle feelings there tough guy...you kind of remind me of my 4 year old telling on his little sister lol hey this guy posted a perfectly normal question let me look him up and tell the world he once posted a few negative comments about a hobie 2 years ago gasp the horror!!! Lol but seriously any REAL insight would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:01 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The warranty on a new kayak is two years from the day it was originally sold from a dealer. Beyond the two years, we will still honor the warranty for a while, and then prorate it beyond that for known issues that we've had. Older Outbacks and Adventures from the 2005 range or so had a retrofit sent out to all registered owners that would extend warranty to four years. Warranty does not start over with a replacement hull and still dates from the original date of sale. We extend coverage a lot, but we have to draw lines eventually as kayaks age. One of the easiest ways to prevent damage to a drivewell is to not push on both pedals at once. People do this to slide back in the seat or when fighting a fish. Brace yourself with the foot wells on the side instead. There have been some significant changes since the 2005 issues. We have reinforced the forward end of the drivewell, we have changed the locking mechanism to a much mroe robust design, and we have increased the quality of the plastic both with new materials and more precise processing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply i now have a 2013 hull and hope i have it mamy years...mine was passed the original warranty but hobie sent me the new hull and all i had to do is pay shipping. All i was saying was resale value may go down my last hull was a 2010 and i know a bunch of guys who have cracks in that model. I hope my friend lucks out he has multiple cracks and he takes good care of his stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While the HobieTech/Moderator stated that the Outback model was beefed up in the hull area he didn't state when these improvements were first incorporated. I have a 2011 Outback and haven't had any issues, in it's first full year of use with the non turbo fins and many runs with the Evolve drive, I hope that continues for years to come!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie's not worried about resale value, they know their yaks sell as soon as their put on the market. When you buy something used your taking a big chance. If going by Hobie's response above, it seems that they replaced two hulls that were out of warranty.

A truly grateful customer who received not one but two replacement hulls should be humbled and keep his already well advertised disgust as demonstarted here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29422 in check.

A two year warranty is a two year warranty so i would advise your friend he's sh_ _ out of luck and you might be also if another claim is made.

The member who posted your history made a wise move, no need for you to be a wise a_ _ to him. He may not be a tough guy but i am so pick on me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ohhh i see so no one is allowed to say anything negative about hobie on here...ok well i am very grateful for the customer service that hobie has and an update hobie oulled through for my friend and he is getting a new hull...when i made that other post i was pretty pissed off after spending all that $ and than having it crack aaaand in that post i apologized for ranting and being a bit harsh so i will not do it again. As for this post it was just an honest and just question. And as for you being a tough guy?? Well everyone is tough behind a key board so say waht u will. I again thank the oeople who posted information and as for the "winey how dare you say anything negative people" well you know where to go ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So Hobie went way beyond the call of duty again, good for your friend and lets hope he doesn't appreciate it as much as you do by posting how crappy Hobie kayaks are.

Everyone heard you loud and clear the first time you mentioned it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Say goodnight Gracie!!.