Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The other day I met up with Tony who came a couple of hours down the coast to have a sail on Lake Macquarie. In true Hobie fashion, we met out in the middle, crossed paddles, and had a bit of a chat.

But I also wanted to use the day to test out my Splitter MkII. Is it good enough to get a gernsey every trip, dunno, the jury is still out. There just wasn't enough wind or waves to give it a decent run.

But it does have potential.

https://vimeo.com/54701645

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good video. Splitter looks great. I'm looking forward to your diving test results. Part of you problem is your sailing conditions. You need to get out on the ocean to amplify the diving test. You want to be out in 15+ knot following wind. Still, I'm anticipating a smashing (pardon the pun) result.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video of your meet!

The shape of your Splitter looks very good, but I think you may find it may need to be longer to the rear to stop the bow-wave from hitting the aka x-bar and knuckle joint. On the TI, that's the major cause of getting wet, starting at 6mph (5.2 knots). On the AI it starts at lower but varying speeds and contributes a lot to spray, but the AI also has so many other sources of getting wet. :)

I look forward to your further testing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks fellas for your feedback. I like the way you hedged your bets Keith. So, no matter if the Splitter works perfectly or I pitchpole, you can say, ‘I told you it would be a smashing result’. :lol: ( not related to Dennis Connor are you ? ) :lol:

That’s my concern also Bob. The video probably doesn’t show it well enough but I didn’t put too much of a bend on the wings as I wanted them to sit down lower than the knuckle joint. If I find that waves still hit the knuckle, I won’t change the angle, just the length. The size it currently is, with careful nesting, I can just get 2 out of a sheet. So I am a bit restricted on size.

But I can’t wait for a bit of weather, slip on the wet suit, press the play button on the camera, and really put it through its paces.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well... who would have thought that a video with no wind, waves or any 'real' action could be so entertaining?
Great storytelling once again mate. 8) I really enjoyed that and I'm sorry I couldn't make it. The Splitter Mk11 looks great and how good is that haka for rafting up, eh?
You know I've got a trip in mind that will give that shield a workout! :wink:
We just need those Nor'easters to kick in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
You know I've got a trip in mind that will give that shield a workout! :wink:
We just need those Nor'easters to kick in.

Thanks Stringy. Since you released the Tenors in SlowMo, us budding videographers have all had to lift our game.

Who knows when a Northerly will come this way ? And even if its predicted buy the so called weather gurus, the chances still seem to be 50/50.

I’m scratch’n to get mid week days off. What are you doing over the Christmas / New Year break ? If there is a spot in there somewhere, give us a ring.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Slaughter,

Now I think you're on the money!! I'll be watching the results of your trials with keen interest.

I'm moving back to Canberra in the new year & with relatives living in Newcastle, we'll be heading up that way for a visit or two. If I can convince my wife that we need to take the TI with us, I'd like to catch up with you on Lake Macquarie.

Regards,

Rob.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nicnrob wrote:
Hey Slaughter,

Now I think you're on the money!! I'll be watching the results of your trials with keen interest.

I'm moving back to Canberra in the new year & with relatives living in Newcastle, we'll be heading up that way for a visit or two. If I can convince my wife that we need to take the TI with us, I'd like to catch up with you on Lake Macquarie.

Regards,

Rob.

Crikey Rob are we related? :lol:

We live in Canberra, moved here a year ago, came from Alice Springs and Adelaide was our weekend getaway location.

We own a holiday house in Port Stephens.

We will hopefully have our TI by end of Feb.

Cheers

Mav

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Always welcome Rob. Look forward to catch'n up. Just email me when you think you may be up and I'll make time.

You too Mav. My Mum and Dad lived at Salamander Bay for 20 odd years so I know the area pretty well. Do you have any plans to get back up this way ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Slaughter wrote:
Always welcome Rob. Look forward to catch'n up. Just email me when you think you may be up and I'll make time.

You too Mav. My Mum and Dad lived at Salamander Bay for 20 odd years so I know the area pretty well. Do you have any plans to get back up this way ?

One day maybe we will get back to the bay. For now work dictates where we must live as it does for most people.

We will have to catch up once we get our Ti, I loved your NYE camping video. That is how we are, we loved to camp but since leaving the NT we have not been able to do any camping as we have been to busy getting our life back on track.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee Slaughter, you are a gun video master! I hardly noticed you touching the camera, yet you put together a top flick, especially with the major poetic licence regarding our natter LOL

After we went our separate ways, I had a play with the keelboats racing nearby, and was quite impressed to be more or less holding ground with quite a few of them... The unobtrusive tiller does a great job in aiding looking totally casual, despite eking every ounce of performance from the sail!

As it is looking highly likely that I will be moving from Forster to the Lake Macquarie area next year, I am very keen to begin comparison testing of my Kayakingbob design spray skirts and your nifty polycarbonate "Jet Jackson" alternative, and catching up with the growing island fleet.

Thanks for a great arvo.