Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone here wear a helmet when they are out sailing? I know this is funny coming from one of the youngest members of this forum but I think they are kind of cool. I know I'd probably be made fun of without end but I still think they look hardcore.

Just thought I'd open up the discussion. I did some searching around the web the general consensus is that they are only for sissies and people who already have prior brain injuries.

Last edited by PurdueZach on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also some links to people talking about them:
An Incomplete and Non-Scientific Guide to Finding Yourself a Sailing Helmet Part 1
An Incomplete and Non-Scientific Guide to Finding Yourself a Sailing Helmet Part 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't, but there was one occasion I wish I did. I got clobbered by the boomlet of my H17Sport on an unplanned jibe. It was just after switching from my old H16 to a H17Sport. On the H16 you would hear an unscheduled jibe with the noise the boom connection to the mast made and could duck to avoid. The H17Sport, with the boomlet, is much more quiet (silent death)and can sneek up on you :o

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a number of racers that wear them - Mark Ashburn, Raul Hevia and John Hauser from Division 2 and Morgan Miller from Division 11 (although she wears it because she had a concussion from being thrown by a horse).

Here's Raul:

Here's Morgan:

And, no - the thing that Chris Bradshaw is wearing is not a helmet. :roll:
(photos by Ellie Martin)

I got bonked on the head pretty good at the 17 NAs this year - right as I was jibing into starting position. Too much mast rake / not enough duck. I'm too old school to wear a helmet, though. I like to feel the wind on my face/ears/back of my neck. Best wind indicator there is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you think they look cool get one, maybe you will help start a trend. When I was younger I thought no way would I wear a helmet, now after over 35 stiches in my head I have a motorcycle, snowmobile, hockey, bike, kayaking skiing helmet and a hard hat for work. I never got stiches while wearing a hemlet but have broken two of them . I dont use one saling, with my luck maybe I should

98 H18
1979 H16 sold
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lot of guys that I use to jetskiing with (standups - FREESTYLE) use to use the Gath helmets like Raul is wearing Believe they started life as a water polo helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With what we're not learning about concussions and head injuries, I'd be happy to see more helmets on sailors. If I had a larger boat with a boom, I would definitely consider it! It would probably be overkill on my Bravo!

I don't think it's strange that a "younger member" of the forum brings this up. I think helmets are often brought in by younger members of any sport. The traditional way to do sports was without helmets, as time goes on, we know more about the dangers of head injuries. The younger people aren't bound by their traditions, so it only makes sense that we introduce them.

Nobody is saying that we have to wear helmets, but I think kids should see that it's cool to protect your melon! It should never be uncool to be more safe! Especially on the water!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to go the helmet route, they make several good/light helmets for windsurfing/water.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not just wear a hockey helmet? Not that expensive and readily available. You might have to re-glue the foam every year.. but that shouldn't be a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ok, so i can add a current event to this discussion...... right CB?!

at the H18 NA\'s at Mohave we were t-boned at the gate, travelling at good speed, both boats, which caused my boat to stop very suddenly. My crew, a young lady of 15, was thrown forward and hit her head on the crossbar. With tears in her eyes she complained of the bang on the head so we sent her off directly back to the Cove where she was attended by the local physician. He felt there was nothing serious, but they sent her off to Las Vegas via Medivac Helicopter where they deemed it a mild concussion. She was fine, in the long run, but it could have been alot more serious. She was given a helmet that was donated by steve murray from murrays marine at the awards banquet. Not the momento she was hoping for... but....

Anyway, never having seen the need for one before, i would strongly recommend helmets especially for our youth sailors ( us old guys have less to damage with a head injury) especially if the conditions warrent caution. We had a couple of days that the winds were 20+ and the waves quite lumpy, making moving around on the boat requiring a little more effort than usual. When the crew is moving about, head low, they are more at risk than the skipper for a bonk on the head.

I don't think image or appearance should matter, and as more people use them, it would become the norm.

I don't expect i would ever wear one, but i can see recommending it's use for younger crew members in high wind conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think helmets are a good idea, especially for kids. One of my daughters got a nice lump on the head last summer which made me take them seriously. I was not a big deal, but easily could have been.

So, after seeing the guys on the AC45's with Helmets, and reading the comments above about young folks being used to them for other sports, I decided to go for it. This is what I got...

..."Dad, l love your boat, but if you EVER want me to go on it again, then you need to stop this right now. I'd rather have a concussion." and she walked out of the room.

Lesson learned: You'd better get those little tots in helmets long before they are teenagers! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I need a mouthguard. Twice, I've just about knocked out my front teeth with the boom. Its never when I'm out, its always just off the beach. The wind is funky, and I'm trying to get to deeper water to get the boards down.

My head would be fine with the boom, aluminum is pretty soft, and my head has been work hardened from more concussions than I can remember. Plus I've had more concussions than I can remember. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PurdueZach wrote:
Does anyone here wear a helmet when they are out sailing? I know this is funny coming from one of the youngest members of this forum but I think they are kind of cool. I know I'd probably be made fun of without end but I still think they look hardcore.

I do wear helmet whenever I am out to sail. It's the only protection we have for our heads which can bump into anything aside from the water of course. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As long as its not interfering with your line of sight why not. I personally have never worn, or felt the need to wear a helmet sailing. 90% of the injuries I've gotten came from getting sliced up by shroud extenders and boom hardware during a crash. I find a wetsuit and gloves are the best common injury preventions. I would just worry about headgear getting hung up on something...

Home

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My crew now wears a helmet after receiving a concussion while sailing at the H16 NA's in 2011. Find one that's made for in water use and try a lot of them on to get the right fit. After wearing it a few times she doesn't even realize it's there anymore.