Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What suggestions / recommendations do you have for waterproof socks?

Best, :)
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got some Evo socks I bought at a dive shop--designed to be worn under flippers but work well with my water shoes. expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look at the Seal Skin brand socks. They come in different lengths.

If your just wanting waterproof socks for launch purposes, I recently bought a neopreme boot that works great. I need to do a search and post a link on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm curious, why would you want waterproof socks?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

for skinny dipping with bowlegged women?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MrGreen wrote:

I was looking to purchase some waterproof socks for launching purposes. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Look at the Seal Skin brand socks. They come in different lengths.

If your just wanting waterproof socks for launch purposes, I recently bought a neopreme boot that works great. I need to do a search and post a link on it.

You are right on spot. I'm looking for waterproof socks for launching purposes. Let me know the link for the neoprene boot you speak of. That might be a good direction to take as well. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't know about you but I can't launch without getting wet at least up to my knees. Waterproof knee socks? :lol: I'm assuming you want them to protect your feet during launch and not to keep them dry. how about a pair of crocks? They work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Neosport boots. Have tried socks, crocks, etc. but have found these boots are great for cold water launches when you don't want to wear waders. Also very comfortable during the day.

http://www.campmor.com/neosport-explore ... pla&ci_kw={keyword}

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thomas1950 wrote:
MrGreen wrote:

I was looking to purchase some waterproof socks for launching purposes. :D

Oh ok, well not sure of what type of weather conditions you will be facing but I have tried waterproof socks and found my feet would sweat and made them feel really cold. If your feet are going to be staying in the water, then they work great but just sitting still my feet would sweat making them feel cold. But that was my experience. I would choose the boot option myself

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Over the last two winters I used Sealskinz Waterblocker socks with a Coolmax liner sock. This combination has worked well and kept my feet dry and warm in our mild downunder winters. The waterblockers are calf height and have a cuff seal so I can launch from the boat ramp even at low tide on the steep part of the ramp and still have dry feet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone used the sealskinz socks with a drysuit (ankle cuffs) to keep their feet dry with the drysuit? I am concerned that the latex seal on the drysuit will not seal well to the sealskinz socks. My other option is to change out the ankle cuffs for latex booties glued into the drysuit but that is expensive and takes more work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've used the Sealskinz Waterblocker (Submerge) socks over wool socks with generally good results. They have certainly made my kayaking WAY more comfortable over just wearing wetsuit boots and socks. If I am careful to let the water-sealing upper portion press against my bare skin, not against my socks, and especially if I roll the bottom of my wetsuit over the top of this waterproof seal, I can usually count on my feet staying remarkably dry and comfortable over a long, wet day. Sometimes they leak, but even then I am still way more comfortable than I would be with just wet feet in boots.

See: http://hanzusa.com/products/waterproof/socks/submerge/

and http://www.amazon.com/SealSkinz-Water-B ... B0048BOEPY

I bought mine one size larger than they recommend, and my wife went two sizes larger: they run small for their size. Also, getting larger allows you to wear insulating socks. (Yes, you still need insulation.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chet3,

Regarding using SealSkinz socks under your drysuit: I believe this would effectively ensure your feet would not get wet, however, it seems to me it greatly increases the possibility that your legs will get wet and your drysuit integrity will be compromised. The SealSkinz upper portion is porous, wrinkly fabric and your latex gasket will be unable to achieve an effective seal over it.

On the other hand, you might look at putting the SealSkinz on top of the latex gasket. This will leave your dry suit seals effective. The rubber drysuit gasket might be a good smooth, soft surface for the water-sealing portion of the socks to encompass. However, I suspect you'll find the heights don't match: the SealSkinz in normal use want to seal up around your calf, and your drysuit gasket wants to be down around the ankle.

The people I know who use drysuits swear by the Goretex booties. That's one less rubber gasket you have to worry about sealing and having to replace about every three years or so, so you win double. And they are comfortable, and they work.