Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being a new member to this board I did a search but did not find the answer that I was seeking. I also have not had much luck searching on the internet. From the way it looks, does this system allow you to keep the forward tension on the mast and allow you to rasie and lower the jib separately? Does this system allow you to sail the 16 without the jib raised?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Works the same as the standard halyard, but moves the purchase up to the top. Does not change the the jib hoisting or mast tension routine. You only get mast and shroud tension when you hoist the jib.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, as long as he started it, I will ask a basic question that admittedly haven't researched at all, but have always wondered...

Are there any advantages to this system? Tension from the top, tension from the bottomw, what does it matter?

Or is it just 'different'.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Big advantage to the Aussie system (purchase at the top).

When you run the standard halyard wire down the side of the mast and do purchase at the mast base, the wire carries 100% of the forestay load. This compresses the mast and causes a pre-bend. Much worse as the tension increases and can cause the mast to be difficult to tack and possibly counter-rotate.

With the purchase at the top... the line running down the mast is just 1/4 of the load. The mast is more straight and not loaded. It rotates and tacks freely.

Fyi... Aussie is standard equipment on new Hobie 16s.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that really a "big" advantage if your mast otherwise rotates freely with the stock system? If one has no problem tacking is there another payoff? Just seems like anything that makes the H14-16 tack easier Hobie would have made it stock long ago.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sunvista wrote:
Is that really a "big" advantage if your mast otherwise rotates freely with the stock system? If one has no problem tacking is there another payoff? Just seems like anything that makes the H14-16 tack easier Hobie would have made it stock long ago.
The Aussie halyards became class legal about 1983. They've been stock on the boats since maybe early '90s? My '89 had a stock one, but it was a Nationals boat that had upgrades. My '98 boat had one stock as does my '07. The halyards used to be much more expensive before the advent of Dyneema / Spectra.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

You can also route the aussie halyard (less load on it) back away from the jib more easily. I use a small hook on the side of the mast. That brings the halyard down back by the main sail luff. That way the jib battens are less likely to catch on it.

Hey... if you have a standard jib halyard and are happy with it. What the heck?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing is a bit like golf or skiing. You can spend a lot of money for small advantages.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Hey... if you have a standard jib halyard and are happy with it. What the heck?

I like Matt Miller's response on this one. However, I learned to sail in Southern Cal (Long Beach) where the conditions are a bit stern (high winds/rough waters). The Ausie did enable me to tack much easier to starboard. Don't know what kind of conditions you sail in but I think it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Note: there had to be a reason that Hobie made the upgrade standard equipment on the H16.

I know you don't want to spend the money and you're trying to justify this expenditure but this is sailing. You're going to spend money. I made a couple of acquisitions for my boat that I thought I was going to have to seek therapy to get over it. In the end, I was glad that I made them. Take the advice of some of the more seasoned sailors on this forum like the Matt's (Bounds and Miller). They will save you a ton of money, in mistakes. Don't ask me how I know !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: But it's like M. Miller said, "if you have a standard jib halyard and are happy with it, what the heck ???"

David