Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I posted this in the open kayak forum but probably should have put it here instead. sorry for the dup post.

-----------------
having more problems trying to install the H-bar onto my PA12. the video shows installing it on PA14. of course, the 12 is much narrower. want to attach the front supports as far forward as possible but will drill into the hull if I go right to the front of the black starboards. any idea the farthest forward I can position them without drilling the hull? TIA.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, just talked to Kevin @Hobie and I think I've got this figured out. will be posting pix of the solution. think it will be awesome :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you haven't already installed your H-bar you may want to re-consider? As far as I'm concerned they can be a hazard and don't do a whole lot more than get in the way! I would definitely practice turning your PA back over in deep water if you use an H-bar...it aint easy! I've heard of a number of people that have grabbed their H-bar when caught off balance and ended up flipping their PA over while falling in the drink! Another negative in regard to the H-bar is that it is pretty tough to fish and fight fish on the front end of your PA. I can't imagine trying to cast and strip line with a flyrod with a bar nor use crank baits with the bar in the way. Some guys may like them but not me! I've fished standing up in 2' waves in my PA without the bar and have yet to come close to falling in. I have even tried to roll my PA while standing and it was next to impossible...but with an H-bar it is a real possibility that you could not only fall in but roll your PA over!

If you do put an H-bar on your PA I would advise securing a rope to each of the side arms next to the seat. It is a lot easier flipping your PA back over if you throw the rope over your PA and use your legs as leverage holding the rope to turn it right-side-up. You may also want to practice rolling your PA back over in the summer when the water is warm!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

good thoughts, Jims. I'm in S. FL, so water temp not a concern. I am unable to stand up/sit back down in my PA without great difficulty. H-bar should help. I have major problems with blood clots in my legs, so doc told me I cannot sit for longer than 1 hr at a stretch. I'll probably leave the bar down except for those times I need to stand. also will use it when fishing flats and need to cast in front of the reds. if I tip there, no problem as water only couple feet deep. ropes are a good idea. appreciate your sharing your thoughts and observations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FINALLY got my H-bar installed on my PA12. turned out to be much easier that I thought it would be.

I needed to get the legs as far apart as possible because of my height, or lack thereof, but doing so on the PA12 would mean drilling into the hull because of the narrower width. but when I was lining it up I noticed the front hole of the front support was close to the outside bolt holding down the mounting board. figured I could use that for the front of the support but that meant the rear hole was still over the side of the hull. but then I thought why not remove the board and put the bolt in from the bottom.

I called Hobie and talked to Kevin about this idea. it was new to him but he said he had a boat right there and would try it out and call me back. within a half hr, he called and said go for it!

see results below:

I need to get a shorter bolt for the front but it fit perfectly. nut being visible is not ideal but don't think the fish will mind. I did have to drill out the front hole to fit a wider bolt. installed the rear support as far back as I could. thought I would have to cut the supports but it fit me PERFECTLY!

one lingering problem is when I collapse the H-bar, there's nothing in front to keep it out of the water. any suggestions?

again Hobie's customer service excelled. for Kevin to take my idea and give it a shot immediately is totally unique these days. also Tom Kirkman, active in the forums, was of great assistance.

watch out Reds, here we come!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are those the short bars which come with the new PA "H"-Bars?

Look kinda long to me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the bar is sitting beyond the bow when folded, you need to put some sort of tab on the front handle to catch it and keep it from dropping on down into the drink. Let me think on it for a few hours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Won't take that long. You might consider adding another bar, or even some sort of rope, if you can get it to stay in place, between the H-bar uprights just below the top of the unit. When you fold the bar forward, that bar or rope will catch on the bow and prevent the bar from continuing on down into the water.

I think the "catch" should be on the bar instead of the boat. I'll continue kicking it around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

havabass wrote:
Are those the short bars which come with the new PA "H"-Bars?

Look kinda long to me?

no, I bought the original H-bar with only one set of rear supports. have been waiting months for my dealer to get in the new one with 2 sets but NADA. then I found a dealer who will no longer be carrying Hobie and 'stole' the package from his clearance inventory.

Tom Kirkland gave me instructions for cutting the rear supports. but I was able to get the legs spread far enough apart that cutting wasn't necessary.

I clamped a 3-finger lab clamp to the front handle and the attached rod sticks out far enough to 'catch' the H-bar when it is lowered. not a very elegant solution. however, I've been thinking of sharpening the end of the rod and using it for a ram if someone gets too close to my fishin' hole :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I had an H-bar on my PA I'm not sure if I would want it mounted so close to the seat? In the photos it looks like you have no room to even turn and fish to the side? What happens when a fish makes a run behind your PA? How do you turn around while standing?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not have the H-bar and do not intend to install one but it appears there is a dark decal approximately 6" down from your hands in the picture. Why not install a flat 1" nylon web strap stretched from one decal to the other. You could wrap it around the bar tightly or screw into the bar on each side to keep the strap in place. It would provide minimal additional weight and be out of the way when not in use. You may even find that you can use it to hang things from it while standing.

As far as having sufficient space to turn around while standing, the base of the Vantage seat lifts into a vertical position giving you additional room to stand in the center of the Vantage seat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking about the web idea also - just a velcro strap placed just under the rear support mounts where the bars are parallel should do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lunker1 wrote:
I do not have the H-bar and do not intend to install one but it appears there is a dark decal approximately 6" down from your hands in the picture. Why not install a flat 1" nylon web strap stretched from one decal to the other.

good thought L1. I actually was debating about having a clothesline to hang a towel on to dry. would just have to see how much it would interfere with fishing. seems everything on a boat is snagged by a hook.

I probably would sit down to fight a fish. my balance is not good enough to keep standing to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FLProAngler

I know what you mean about sitting down. That is why I have no desire to stand in my PA so there is no need for me to install an H-bar. I wish I could stand but my knees say no to getting there from such a low seating position. I am not as young as I once thought I was. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

L1, I also am feeling my age. H-bar makes it so easy to get in/out of boat. also I need to stand regularly to help prevent blood clots from forming in my legs, so one of primary reasons I got the H-bar. gives me the needed assist to get up from the seat and then back down. kinda my walker on the water :lol: