Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith - Is that your cell phone number? I have a different one in my contact list. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is my home phone. My cell is 305-979-3362.

I haven't been to Cape Romano for 4-5 years, so it will be interesting. It may be very different from the pictures I've posted above. Let the fish be biting!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our Cape Romano trip is set.

Launch: Parking lot with ramp across from Stan’s Restaurant in Goodland. We can use the parking lot on Monday-Thursday, but not on Sat-Sun. http://www.stansidlehour.net/Index.html
Stan’s is the place to be on Sundays if you live in the Naples-Marco Island-Goodland area.

Launch time: 10:00-10:30 am, Monday, Nov 12

Campsite on Cape Romano: Lat 25.853092° Long -81.686459°

Return to Goodland Wed (Nov 14) or Thurs (Nov 15): Launch from Cape Romano 9:00-10:00 am when water available on rising tide. Plan to have lunch at Stan's on our return.

Nancy and I drove over to Goodland yesterday from Pinecrest (SW of Miami) on Tamiami Trail (US 41). Because of construction it took us 30+ minutes longer than usual (2 hr 5 min total)—just a warning to expect delays if you use this route from the Miami area.

I will furnish Garmin GPS routes for paddlers/pedalers and sailors. Of course, if there are no winds, we sailors will be pedalers.

Please confirm that you will be doing this trip. Drop me a note or post here. Thanks

Right now, I think the lineup is
Jim Quinlan—Sarasota area
Terry Wilson—Anna Marie Island
Erika Fitzgerald—Ft Lauderdale
Gil & Yadira Companioni—Miami
Nancy & myself—SW of Miami

Others that may join us, if they can work it into their schedule:
Alex Oancea
Charlie Fast
Josh Morgan

Josh Bowers & Denise from around Orlando have canceled because of conflicts, but they plan to join us either around TK or Xmas.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith - Do you have a map with the route the paddlers/pedalers should take marked on it? I'd like to take a look.

btw - I've been out practicing catching our dinner this week, as well as pedaling into the wind at low, low tide over mud flats. I'm ready!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika,

:D Count me in Keith. It's a good trip and great camp site
Could you see any construction north of the turn off to Goodland :?:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Google Earth images for our trip to Cape Romano, Nov 12-14 or 15, 2012

As noted a few posts above, we will be able to use Stan’s Restaurant Parking Lot on weekdays. Here is the google image of Stan’s, the lot, and the ramp. This was taken on a Sunday—you can see why the lot is not available on weekends.

Here is an image showing the route from Stan’s Ramp in Goodland out to the Main Channel for Sailors or the more direct route for paddlers & pedalers.

The overview for paddlers/pedalers to Cape Romano Campsite. Boy, it is hard to pass by Helen Key without trying for a red. It is a most inviting shoreline.

Here is a little more detail for exiting Morgan River into Morgan Bay and navigating to our campsite.

Finally, here is the more open route for sailors from Goodland to our Cape Romano camp.

@Terry--that is a beautiful red! I hope we (especially you) can can catch a red or 2 on this trip.

@Polecat--no. The construction is about 10 mi west of Miami. It is elevating Tamiami Trail (US41) to permit more free-flow of fresh water into the east half of the Everglades & Florida Bay.

Personally, I haven’t been to Cape Romano for about 5 yrs. This ought to be fun!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just like to say Keith, and I think I speak for all of us, that I've really enjoyed this thread over the years. Great information and it's also given us a glimmer of hope that we might be able to get over that way and join you someday.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As Slaughter said. I am also enjoying reading what you guys are planning and seeing your Google maps. It is really interesting to see such a vastly different type of coastal area to where I am.

Cheers
Geordie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your generous comments, Slaughter & Geordie. You Ausies have a beautiful country that many of us in the States would love to visit. In any case, if you get to south Florida we will definitely schedule some trips with you in our winter months (Dec-March). Speaking of March, if you come during the first 10 days, you could get involved with the WaterTribe's Everglades Challenge--either as a participant or a close-up onlooker. Fun!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cape Romano—A Coastline in Transition

My last visit to Cape Romano was a solo trip about 3 yrs ago. That trip was memorable for 2 incidents: twice in one day, I managed to impale my hand on a lure’s barbed hook while having a very mad fish attached to the other end of the lure. I also learned the simplest way to remove that barbed hook (once the fish was under control): clench your teeth and use your pliers to pull it out the same way it went in. It is amazing how tough your skin is, so expect to use all your strength. For a moment, it hurts big time, but, when the job is done, you can go about enjoying the rest of the day. Hopefully, it won’t happen a second time.

This year we took advantage of the hospitality of Stan’s Restaurant parking lot and launch in Goodland, FL. Stan’s is a happening on weekends, so the parking is not available, but weekdays they are happy to accommodate kayakers. Just check with Steve, the owner. Their food is excellent, in case you’re hungry on your return.

Jim Quinlan (aka CaptnChaos) is launching while Josh Morgan (aka TideTraveller) and Terry Wilson (aka Terry) wait their turn.

Goodland is a sleepy little fishing village,

with a few retirees.

This is Jim underway, but he is heading to shore to make some kind of “adjustment” to his boat.

Cape Romano is only about 7 mi from Goodland by sail and a little shorter by paddle/pedal. Terry would be pedaling her Adventure. She is an avid fisherwoman, and she did plenty of that on this trip. Josh was paddling his new sit-on-top kayak—a 21” by 18’ boat he is customizing for his 2013 Everglades Challenge.

Google Earth overview showing routes and campsites.

All of us, except Terry, took the sailing route on a broad reach. Josh has a 1-meter Flat Earth sail for his kayak. He kept up with the AIs (Jim, Nancy—my wife, and myself). Upon rounding the southern tip of Cape Romano, you are confronted with a derelict structure, which is both a tourist attraction and an eyesore. At one time, the structure was on dry land, but the Gulf of Mexico has reclaimed the property. Now, the structure is in danger of collapsing into the surf. Thanks to Jim for this picture of the structure and his great hakas.

This Google image was taken on Jan 22, 2010. It shows my old campsite and the new.

Two years after that Google image was taken, this terrain has changed dramatically. Here, is my Photoshop rendition of what a newer Google image would look like. The old campsite has been partially taken over by mangroves. At the same time, a new cut through the shoreline into Morgan Bay has developed. Frankly, I was amazed. The place looked nothing like I remembered it 3 yrs earlier.

Here is Nancy standing in the cut at low tide.

A view of the cut confluence with the Gulf of Mexico.

Terry is enjoying the beauty of this rugged seashore. These are the remains some of the mangroves that were ripped out of the shoreline when the cut was formed.

As the Gulf of Mexico floods into Morgan Bay, the currents sculpt the cut.

The cut, sculpting, and Morgan Bay at low tide

The tide begins to fill the cut.

Day 1—camp begins to take shape. That is me seated. Terry has just finished setting up her Sierra Designs tent. Jim is taking the picture.

Bill Waller (aka Polecat) arrived after the rest of us and set up on the edge of the cut. It was Bill’s first AI camp trip in several years.

Nancy explaining something to the boys. Note, the Day 1 nighttime tide has eaten into our camping area.

Camp crew: Nancy, Terry, Jim, Bill, and Josh.

Josh’s digs—a camping hammock.

It seems like we just got here, but Josh will leave on Day 2. The first day after settling on a campsite, he went out and found Terry in Morgan Bay and brought her back. He is a fireman. He takes his job seriously and is in great shape. So, finding Terry was like a rescue mission. Of course, Terry was fishing when he found her.

On Day 2, Nancy looks over Josh’s gear. Josh is packing for his trip back. After loading his boat, he will pick it up and carry it to the water by himself. Josh is a terrific example of packing light and right. My goal, when I grow up, is to be like Josh.

Josh with his Flat Earth sail deployed is heading back to Goodland via Morgan Bay.

Sunset off Cape Romano

Each successive day brings a higher nighttime tide. This is Day 3. Tonight will have a 1-2” higher tide.

Bill said his Appalachian Trail tent had water running through it during the night.

Of course, Terry and I did some fishing. This is the coast line I fished for sea trout. Can you find the 2 osprey also looking for dinner?

After dinner on Day 3, Terry caught several snook. This is a 24” snook caught in the new cut as the tide was rising. She was catching a snook or ladyfish on every cast. Note, snook are still off-limits because they are recovering from the devastating hard freeze 2 yrs ago.

We expected a high tide the night of Day 4 and moved our boats as high as possible. Morning revealed the tide had easily reached the boats.

We are heading back to Goodland today. Terry is on her way. She will pass through Morgan Bay and Morgan River. I told her she should ask for an AI from Santa this year. She insists that she is not a sailor. Nancy and I are kayakers, but we manage to get around in our AIs.

Nancy arriving back at Stan’s ramp. Jim, literally, jumps in to help her.

Terry arrives, happy to be back. It was Terry’s first kayak camping trip. She is a trooper, and we were all proud of her.

Now, it was time to head over to Stan’s for some seafood.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve enjoyed watching Keith’s trip reports all of these years and was so glad I was able to get out there with this expert kayak camping group.

Getting started at the ramp. Yes, too much stuff but I wanted to see what the Adventure could hold…,good thing I didn’t run over a manatee and get flipped!

This trip provided some excellent sunset views and sunrises, too.

Looking across Morgan Bay early on Tuesday morning.

Jim contemplating his food. It truly was a beautiful campsite, although I think we would have all had wet tents and sleeping gear if the Gulf waves had even been normal for this time of year!

The AI’s lined up getting ready to leave camp with Nancy tending to hers. It was certainly a good thing that I didn't need the idler cable on my Mirage Drive since it broke before I left the campsite. It would have been a heck of a long PADDLE for yours truly.

Keith de-camping. I didn’t like that part and realized that I am not the type to want to pick up and paddle on to another campsite. Get me to one spot and let me stay at least a few days!

I again went solo back to the launch since I was the only paddler/pedaler. Here I am pointing the way home on the Morgan River. It was just me and some birds and some mullet and the occasional sound of a snook popping. Yes, of course I took time to fish!

Every day there were tons of ladyfish, jacks, and mackerel, along with a few trout and flounder. That and the last night’s tide turning the snook bite on means you won’t hear me complaining. Plus, the shelling was superb! Great trip. I’m hoping to do another one very soon as long as I can have such good fellow kayak campers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Planned Chokoloskee to Flamingo Trip, Jan 14-20, 2013

This year's 7-day, camping trip along the Gulf coast of the Everglades from Chokoloskee to Flamingo is being set up. The tentative schedule:

Jan 14, 2013 Chokoloskee to Pavilion (9 mi)
Jan 15 Fishing day/relaxing—Pavilion is justifiably referred to as the "Gem of the Everglades." Pavilion is a guaranteed “fish fry night.”
Jan 16 Pavilion Key to Highland Beach (20 mi)
Jan 17 Fishing/relaxing day—fish Broad River. Alternatively, relax and enjoy Highland Beach. HB is a wilderness paradise. We have seen deer, turkey, bobcat, Swallow Tail Kites, and, yes, raccoons here.
Jan 18 Highland Beach to Graveyard (8 mi)—this stretch of shoreline has some of the best fishing in Florida, but will probably be too shallow to get into this year. Fish Shark Point instead.
Jan 19 Graveyard to Middle Cape (16 mi)—Catch fish along way if you want.
Jan 20 Middle Cape Sable to Flamingo (15 mi)

I’ve posted several trip reports previously on this thread--the link to 2012 trip is http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180
Scroll down until you see the title: Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Jan 16-23, 2012

There are 2 ways to participate in this trip. (1) Do the whole, 7-day trip. This is a most relaxing trip and a great way to see coastal everglades. (2) Do the first 3 days of the trip. This part of the trip is simply a 3-day camp trip out of Chokoloskee to Pavilion Key. On the 3rd day, the through-trippers would continue south to Flamingo. The people who can't do that would return to Chokoloskee. A good time would be had by all. Pavilion Key is a great camping destination with a beautiful beach, good fishing, and lots marine life—even raccoons to entertain you at night.

I try to help people get their cars/boats to the right place for this trip, so let me know as early as possible if you are interested in participating.

If you have any questions, post them here or send an email to me at kwellma at bellsouth dot net.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a fun trip and I'd like to join you Keith. For now count me as tentative.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If there is anyone interested in just doing the Pavillion part of the trip for three nights or maybe adding another nearby island (New Turkey?) to the trip, please let me know. Since I don't have an AI, I cannot make the loooong trip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the outstanding trip report Keith and Terry. Magic photos. The area looks very similar to some local shoreline here. Fish look a bit different though. Just to let you know we really appreciate the time and effort you put into these reports down this way. One day I'll get over there........

One day :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 80  Next