Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

When I was around 12 I started sailing at Boy Scout camp on a Laser, after that my grandfather had a sabot that I would sail in the summers. So basically I had little to no sailing experience.

Last summer I got a 16. I'll admit the first few times I went out were a bit hairy. Set up was a pain in the @$$, but it got easier. I now mainly set up, and sail solo. Setup is quite a bit faster now, handling the boat is a piece of cake in light wind, and it is getting easier in moderate wind. It was my second time out solo when I flew a hull successfully. I by no means am a pro racer guy, maybe someday. That doesn't mean that you still can't have fun. What I like best is that with each sail I use more of my boat's potential, and I know it won't run out of that potential any time soon. From my own experience I think a 16 is a great first boat because it's mechanically simple to learn on, but has the power to keep you excited later on, unlike a sabot or laser.

I say get the boat, take it slow and have some fun,

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lesson will help, but there is nothing like tiller time and more tiller time.

Afer having bought a new 16, it was time for the first sail. Anticpation and excitment was high. I arrived at the lake found a couple of 18 sailors and asked them if they thought I could go out alone, they said sure. Well I made one tack successfully and it came time to make the next, when the boat capsized. Being alone and never having capsized before, I was lucky enough that a motor boat came by and tossed me a line. I attached it, the motor boat pulled the boat upright and the next thing I know I was being dragged behind my boat holding onto the line. As luck would have it, the water was turning into a shore line and I let the line go. Guess what? The boat capsized again. Another motor boater came by and asked what they could do to help. This time I asked them to go and get some sailors to help me. After 15 mins they came back and told me "the sailors say it too rough they won't come out".

After a few choice thoughts, I decided to take the sails done while capsized. We righted the boat and they towed me in. As I walked on the dock one of the sailors looked at me and said something to the effect "New hobie 16 for sale!". I told him it wasn't for sale. The dealer was glad to hear I still wanted the boat. This was in 1984.

So when you do go out, make sure other boaters are around. Understand the weather conditions, know how to right the boat, wear you pfd and most important have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Funny story.
Good to here that this experience did not deter you. I don't like to give up on things either.
I will not go out alone until I am very comfortable if at all. I know a couple people who have a little experience sailing and they will be my crew (or I theirs) until I get the hang of it.

Thanks for all the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It sounds like u will atleast have to have the tramp fixed but i learned how to sail by my self on a hobie 16 and im still sailing the boat just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently purchased an '82 Hobie 16 to learn on and I can't wait to get it on the water!

I got the bug from my Uncle who has a 37' Tartan (monohaul) kept on the East Coast. I spent a week on it in May and I was sold... I had to have a sailboat of my own. Since I live on an inland lake and don't plan on doing more than day sails, I looked for something that was really fun, relatively easy to learn on and still something that will challenge me for years. All my research pointed to the H16! I happened to run across a business associate who happened to have one for sale that he hadn't sailed in ten years. It needs/needed a little work and some replacement rigging but it will hit the lake later this month. I have another trip to the East Coast that is slowing me down a little.

My boss grew up sailing a prindl 18, so I have an instructor all set up!

I picked up Catamaran sailing: from start to finish from Amazon.com for a great price and read that a couple of times.

I think that the H16 is well worth the money for a used one, even if it requires some replacement parts, provided the hulls and mast are in good order. I needed to get a new tramp and new lines for the rigging, but my sails are in great shape.

I'm so excited about getting my cat on the water!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my 79 about 6 weeks ago for $800 and I'm having a blast! I had zero sailing experience, and no one to teach me so I bought a book and started on a small lake with very light winds.

Basic sailing is not rocket science.

Just get a the hobie and try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jf wrote:
Basic sailing is not rocket science.

Just get a the hobie and try it out.

AMEN Brother!!!

There's a learning curve with any new endeavor. You can pick much more difficult boats to sail and rig than the Hobie 16. The most daunting thing about the 16 is how it looks derigged on the trailer. Three or four trips to the lake and you're an expert in set up.

It's a great beginers' boat. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought it.
I have sailed it a little bit, but only for a couple hours in a secluded part of a reservior with high rock walls. Not a lot of consistent wind, but just enough to get a bit of a feel for what to expect with more wind. There was not a lot of room, so I had to tack and jibe alot. It was fun, though, and I was able to make my way out and back and around where I wanted to.

This weekend I am taking it camping to a lake where people are known to hold regattas, so there should be much more wind. It is a lot bigger than where I was at before, so I should be able to go on long reaches and get a better feel for changes in trim and boat direction with consistent wind.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll let you know if I fly a hull or something after this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bullsnake,

Where are you going? If you know they've held Hobie regattas, I'll bet we can find you a link to the fleets' website and you can probably hook up with some member. The learning curve goes up exponentialy with help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cascade Lake in Idaho is where I am going this weekend. I live in Boise.

It is the Southern Idaho Sailing Association that holds the regattas there. I think a few of the members have Hobies and some have monohulls.

I have sent them emails and they have not responded to me. I agree it would be nice to learn hands on from someone who knows. Oh well, I'll get it figured out anyway.

Here is the link to their website.

http://www.idahosailing.com/sisa/home.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bullsnake,
I am new to this myself, and really know where you are coming from. :D
My son and I just got back from Fiesta Island Boy Scout camp in San Diego. While there, he took the 'Flying Hull' course, where they teach the boys to sail Hobie16's in just a few days. By the 3rd day, the four Hobies, with their crews of 3 boys (ages 14-17) set sail out of Mission Bay and out into the open ocean. I must state at this point that there were NO adults on the Hobie Cats. The adults were trying to keep up in a motorboat, and not having much luck. :wink:
The boys sailed 28 miles down the coast, camped in San Diego Bay, and sailed back to Mission Bay in the morning. These boys, some who have never sailed before, managed to sail 56 miles in the Pacific. WOW! I was so impressed that I checked ebay to see what a used hobie would go for (big mistake). :roll:
Found (and bought) one for only $330, complete with trailer, sails, and all the stuff that goes with it. I already know that I will have to fix some delamination on the top of the hulls, but the rest of the boat is sound.
I cant wait to get it going and get out on one of our local lakes!!
My advice is..... GO FOR IT!!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are worried about too much power at first, just take out the jib battens and you can then wind the jib around the forstay untill you reduce the area about 25% you can also run the main down to the reef point. This will make the boat fairly docile in most winds and you wouldn't have to worry about blowing it over to start with. As you gain confidence you can start letting out the jib and main. Just take the bull by the horns and take the leap. :D :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bullsnake,
How did your weekend go? Did you get out to Cascade lake? Were you able to hook up with other hobies?

Mostly, did you have fun with your hobie?! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was fun.
The first day we got there the winds seemed a little strong, but my friend and I went out anyway. There were small whitecaps from a steady wind from a consistent direction. I am not sure how fast it was blowing; maybe someone could tell me how fast the wind usually is given the size of waves present.
We did fine, but were a little uneasy as this was the fastest that we had gone on the Hobie thus far. It was only our second time out. We did not fly a hull or anything like that and never felt out of control.
We got back to shore and were going to take a couple others out, but by this time the wind had picked up significantly and we did not feel comfortable.
There was another Hobie 16 that went out at this time, but they looked like they were having a lot of trouble tacking.
About a half hour later when I went to take down my sails, one of the batten-holders for the jib broke off against my mast from being whipped around so violently.

The next day the wind was much lighter, in fact light enough to desire more, but we were able to take out the others and practice a little on our own. We can get where we want to go, but are not comfortable in too strong of wind.
Practice, practice, practice. I want to be flying a hull before this season is over.

Post subject: Re: OK for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first experience was at age 15 in the gulf of mexico, with now my husband of 25 years. The boat turtled and as we turned over, I ripped off my toe nail in the salt water. A large shark came up and circled around the boat. We were not far off the second sandbar, and the sun was going down. Luckily it was a south breeze and we washing in close enough to the sand bar that we were able to drag the boat the remainder way to shore. I said "If I make it to shore alive, I will never get on one of these again". That was a big lie! I got back out a few weekends later on a bright new boat he had purchased. Ended up falling in love with sailing and started racing. By 18 I sailed and placed 9th in the Women's Nationals in Traverse City Michigan sponsored by Absolute Vodka. : ) Memories I will always cherish. Now hoping to get my kids hooked on sailing. : )