Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm 
Hi everyone I have been planning this trip for a long time. I am proposing we start our trip at Indian Island County Park, and end up Cedar Island County Park. I have spent many nights at each park and they are perfect. I have done day sails and kayak trips in the area over the last 20 years. I used to trailer in my 28 foot sailboat from New Jersey and sail around Shelter Island and sleep on the water. The area is beautiful and its a sailors playground

We will talk among ourselves once we have a group committed as to what is comfortable and achievable in one day sailing. We will make the trip comfortable for all!

Link for Park - http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departme ... yPark.aspx

Lets get some interest then we can work out details with the group

Last edited by sailman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 am 
some more information about the trip is going to be updated on this forum and on Kayak Sailing Magazine - http://kayaksailingmagazine.com/index.php/kayak-sailing-forums/kayak-sailing-voyage-3-day-camping-trip-long-island-ny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

25 miles in a day sounds like a lot. Probably depends on how favorable the winds are. Definitely interested in this expedition. It looks like a nice route. Hmmm, I wonder if any of the North Fork wineries have a boat landing. :twisted:

We did manage to get our new TI out a couple of times before packing it in for the winter. Can't wait for Spring.

We are trying to plan out a trip from Great Egg Harbor bay up the Egg Harbor River to Mays Landing. Overnight at the Sugar Hill Inn and back downriver the next day. Its slightly under 18 miles one way. We'll have to take some test runs into the river to get an idea of the feasibility. It's pretty wide, so tacking upriver is doable. Just have to see how the winds hold up on the river. I hate the thought of peddling that far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:56 am 
There are plenty of options. I think we sail the first day and see how far we get, if we get all the way great if not we will find a beach to sleep on.

The idea is to get to Shelter Island area and have nice full day sailing and fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Im IN LIKE FLYNN

... depending on dates

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 pm 
PASSWIND

I am ready whenever you are. I thought we would get the interest then talk about the date that works for all of us

I can do it anytime as long as I have some notice to plan with family

Any suggestions from a Long Islander are welcome

my email [email protected]

I am so looking forward to this trip! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

well, I'm packed up for the winter and unless I get a good dry suit I'd say we're in a holding pattern until late spring at least.

... Im not as diehard as I used to be - but then again, maybe I just need to meet the right lunatic to re-awaken the crazzies :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:52 pm 
you have found that crazy person. I have drysuit but don't venture out in the winter, just too cold

Lets shoot for the spring or late summer? I am flexible. I do have about 3 others that are joining us

KayakCarl - Adventure with Pacific Action Sail
Pinney - Wilderness SIT with Falcon Sail
USBlue - Adventure with Kayak Sailor System

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Al, I might be in for this one too. I can get A demo AI to use.

Erick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 am 
Erick

I have some other boats for you to use with different sail systems on them. Its going to be a good time and everyone will be at different levels, so we will take it slow, learn together and have some great memories

where do you live?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI - I'm in Northport and my usual sail is in Northport / Huntington bay leaving from Asharoken beach. If its a nice day and I leave early enough I'll venture into the sound ...

... but Im getting bored with it and need to venture out more. While Im not what I'd call a "fisherman" I do enjoy fishing and eating my catch.

I have an SUV that can easily rooftop my AI plus another ... and a jetski trailer I use for local put-ins to save the SUV from the salt water bath.

So ... If someone is needing a way to get their rig out I can prolly help with at least one / possibly two setups

I think it would be great if we all go for a day sail (or a couple) well before 5 day voyage to meet and play together

... perhaps we should set up one of those Hobie Clubs ? The Island Adventurers :?:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:12 pm 
BTW we started a face book page for Hobie-Island-Club-Tri-State-NJ-NY-and-PA to try and connect Hobie Adventure Island Owners in the area so we can meet and plan trips

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobie-Island-Club-Tri-State-NJ-NY-and-PA/249454725182501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I might be interested ....

I'm in CT , so it might be faster to cross the sound with the AI instead of driving :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
[quote="dougc405"]\I wonder if any of the North Fork wineries have a boat landing. :twisted: /quote]

now its getting interesting, lets look into that, maybe we can spend a night next to the grapes

Last edited by sailman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 pm 
joef wrote:
I'm in CT , so it might be faster to cross the sound with the AI instead of driving :shock:

you know it will be faster and much more enjoyable