Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took the AI down to Patonga to trial the Splitter at the weekend and the results were really encouraging.

The winds were still far too light to say it's been put through a full testing regime. Until I really nose dive the thing downwind, I can't yet verify what will happen. But up wind it certainly does everything expected of it so far. The splash was greatly reduced with hardly a drop on the camera lens. I would have definitely been soaked without it.

With the video, I hope I've been able to show whats going on. Please watch, be the judge and I'll appreciate you comments.

https://vimeo.com/55756693

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First let me congratulate you on the simplicity of your design. The way it attaches is very clever and very effective.

My concern about all these deflectors and splitters is that while they help when above, they can hurt from below.

It seems that a flat upright deflector might do the same job without creating a situation where you have something that might tend to hinder the bow from coming back up quickly after submarining.

But again, very nice design. Clean and effective. Good thinking on your part.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tom for your comments. Really appreciate them. When you talk about a flat upright deflector, are you thinking directly in front of the knuckle joint, or what were your thoughts ? Sorry, I just can’t picture it.

What I found in studying the footage is that the Splitter acts like a blade and cuts the wave like a knife. The bottom part of the wave is either deflected outwards or goes down. The top part of the wave, once cut, no longer has any upward force only momentum, so gravity kicks in sending it down as well. I still have to get my head around the physics of what is exactly happening and will confirm it with a couple of physicists here at work but if you look at 3:57 in the video, the last wave before the scene change just rolls across the top of the Splitter like a jellyfish so I’m suspecting that the water motion on top of the Splitter is disrupted as well as what’s underneath. A good campfire discussion topic I reckon.

I’m still waiting to ride some waves with the wind at my back and a sail belly full of wind. That will be the real test. ( it’s a big enough test without a Splitter ).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may have a great idea going there. My only concern, and it may not happen, is that when your splitter is submerged it could tend to slow the recovery of the bow.

But I'm just speculating on what I think might happen. If you've not experienced any difficulty in this area then it's not anything to worry over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agree Tom, I'm sure it will have some effect. The question is how much !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Works like a charm upwind. Very effective, no doubt - and a cool see-thru design.

Go chase some +4' ocean swell for a while and run the cameras again for us. The results should be fun to watch.

The only caution I would have is to NEVER get caught out on the Leeward Haka with the splitter attached. If you or your passenger does, I think you'll be in a pitchpole situation faster than you can say "Oh S***!". :shock:

Cheers Russ, enjoy your warm Christmas downunder!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Sounds like you’re speaking from experience. Is there a story there that you want to share with us ?

Thanks Richard. You have a great Christmas too mate. Is it still sailing season there or is it always sailing season there ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very impressive! 8)
It's interesting in the slomo you can see how the surface tension binds the water all together when it's on the perspex and stops the drops from flying.
I could have done with your splitter on the return trip as the wind picked up. I would have been soaked if I wasn't out on the haka!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
You may have a great idea going there. My only concern, and it may not happen, is that when your splitter is submerged it could tend to slow the recovery of the bow..

I think the flexibility of splitter helps a lot water disposal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
:lol: Sounds like you’re speaking from experience. Is there a story there that you want to share with us ?
I have! Both upwind and down. TI and AI. Happens pretty quickly in big wind when you there is an unanticipated (or announced) gybe. In all cases it was without a skirt or bow deflector out front, so with your new hydraulic power brakes you might want to install some seat belts. ;-)

Slaughter wrote:
Thanks Richard. You have a great Christmas too mate. Is it still sailing season there or is it always sailing season there ?
All year. I just had my son in law out on a 25knot day and we nearly pearled the AI while riding out on separate Hakas. I weigh 30lb more and was straining out on the windward side. While blazing offshore into the wind and waves, the nose buried into a wave and kept diving. Instant bronco ride!

Wish I had that great camera of yours, at the time,..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I just had my son in law out on a 25knot day and we nearly pearled the AI while riding out on separate Hakas. I weigh 30lb more and was straining out on the windward side. While blazing offshore into the wind and waves, the nose buried into a wave and kept diving. Instant bronco ride!

Video! Video! Video! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
Video! Video! Video! :lol:
I wish. My Fuji XP20 broke!! Two months out of warranty. $160 blown. :evil:

This one happened in the waves that wrap around the Mokulua Islands, right where we sailed. In maybe 10' of water. Didn't see it coming.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yo Slaughter I'm loving your idea man and will take the first one you produce.

The bow seemed to be recovering at the same rate to me as there is no radical down-angle on the Wings, they are at the same level and angle as the top Bow line and are not large enough to hold any volumes of water on top.

It seemed to me that by the time the Wings were just under the surface the Bow was already starting to lift and emerge on the other side of the swell/chop just like normal except it wasnt spraying water onto the AKA which then bounced into your face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there Max. Good to see you up and around. You had us worried.

Yeah, as I said I'm pretty pleased with it so far but still need to go a few steps further in the testing. It weighs in a 2.3Kg and another big bonus was that in popping the front hatch I found no water, none, not a drop. I know that it was perfectly dry inside before I left, but I was really surprised that nothing got in. At least now I know where all the water was getting in before.

I'll write your name on serial number 2. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A friend of mine who builds beautiful wooden kayaks has finally given in after watching me have so much fun and and is now the owner of a "Tupperware AI", he asked if you thought the Bowplane could be made from steamed/formed Plywood?