Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to get my wife an inflatable life vest for Christmas, but I don't have time to do the research on my own. Do any of you have any advice you can share?

She would like a vest that is not bulky, allows her more movement, and also makes it easier for her to get a tan when she desires.

She's currently using a traditional life vest, so we have absolutely no experience or knowledge on the type that automatically inflate as needed.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hard to go wrong with the Hobie inflatables.

Cheers.
Drew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just stop by West Marine or shop their online store. They have several models from basic ripcord style to the more expensive hydrostatic deployment. I picked up This one for my dad last year.

The basic models should be fine for regular hobie use, the hydrostatic ones are good for heavier sailing and larger boats

Home

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have fished with the inflatable vest for the past 8 years and love it. Minimal coverage of the body and find they are great for summer. They also make an inflatable waist lifejacket. Might wish to check that out also.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't get an automatic one - they can get wet enough to inflate from just spray alone on a kayak.

I cannot vouch for this but I learned from my local dealer just the other day that he does not recommend, to ladies, the newer trendy type of inflatable jacket that is in the form of a loop (looking like a horse collar) that goes over the head - apparently these tend not to fit ladies comfortably so he always recommends the 'normal' type of inflatable where the material part of the vest is in the shape of a horseshoe with a strap that clips at waist level.

If you are serious about safety in the event of needing a lifejacket then a crotch strap is a must... and every person on board should carry a sharp and easily deployable knife at all times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are 3 different types of self-inflatable life vests.

Manual only inflates when you pull the cord. Not exactly the safest if you get knocked out. Self-inflating will inflate when it gets wet. Yes, a strong rain storm will do it. The hydrostatic version which inflates only when submerged.

The hydrostatic version WILL NOT inflate due to rain/etc. It requires that the vest be submerged 6-8 inches below the surface of the water.

Dependent upon the type of water you are paddling, here is another popular version of a life vest that can be worn around the waist. I would only consider this if you are fishing rather calm waters.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... SHOP_96882

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fair comment - I wasn't aware of Hydrostatic - all I know is that mine popped open while I was sitting in the cockpit :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
Fair comment - I wasn't aware of Hydrostatic - all I know is that mine popped open while I was sitting in the cockpit :?

My buddy decided to rinse all the mud off his with a water hose :mrgreen:

The best part was that I was there to witness the whole thing :!:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It would have almost been worth the cost of the recharge to see how high he jumped.

Cheers.
Drew