Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have any of you mounted a Lehr 2.5 propane outboard and given it a go? Been researching them and find it quite appealing versus electric.

http://golehr.com/

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Link won't load, but, :o :shock: if you're going to put a motor on a kayak, why not just buy a boat!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats pretty slick but its kind of heavy at 38 pounds. The honda 2hp is under 30 and those old sears gamefisher 2.5 hp are only 25 pounds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Neat option over gasoline, though.

Cheers.
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

>>> if you're going to put a motor on a kayak, why not just buy a boat!?

You may not have noticed that Hobie Cat's website actually calls 4 kayaks "MirageDrive Boats"... Ha ha. But the desire is one of safety of life. In the event of equipment failure, fatique, injury... especially while offshore, I would like the option of an easy button solution to get home. There are several members of this forum who use electric motors (including the rebranded one Hobie sells), gas outboards, and even one with a propane conversion outboard.

>>> Thats pretty slick but its kind of heavy

Yeah, can't tell if some of the outboard weights are overly optimistic for some of the other gas engines or if the Lehr is really heavier. Propane itself actually has fewer parts in the fuel system so should be slightly lighter. Some forums claim this model is based on a last gen Yamaha block so may not have latest weight saving features. I would expect fuel to be lighter (1 pound of propane = 1 gallon or 6 pounds of gas). Though it is not that heavy compared to an electric with deep cycle battery.

>>> Neat option over gasoline

Since usage would likely be infrequent, I much prefer propane over gasoline (messy and issues with water plus fuel storage and fouling problems due to ethanol) and electric (battery durability).

---

If plans work out should be picking one up in the Spring for an Island Tandem. Will report if nobody does so before then.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Id be nice if the propane pressure would also start it too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Which would you be likely to use more, pedals, paddles or motor? If pedals or paddles, why, since you have a motor? My guess is that it would just be too easy to motor along and enjoy the ride....... :P :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fish it:
I'm one of the guys who has a gas emergency motor on my tandem island. The motor weighs 20 lbs and is a 2 hp 4stroke island hopper outboard. I have a propane conversion installed so I can run on either propane or gas. I always take the motor along ( for safety) but have seldom used it. I will give some real world examples of when I really needed it.
First off a good sailing day for me can cover 50 miles of water, we often scuba dive from our ti and island hop down in and around key west fl and the gulf coast.

One time we were sailing from key west (kw) to Cotrell key ( about 15 mi nw of kw ( about 90 minutes sailing normally) to go snorkeling, the wind was from the east at steady 15 mph. We got about 5 miles west of kw when we ran aground and broke the rudder. We simply couldn't sail directly into the 15 mph winds with no rudder. We peddeled for quite some time into the wnd making very little headway slowly being swept out to sea. We ended up firing up the emergency motor and drove back to kw. Another time we were hit by a sudden storm from the north and ended up south of the island in 30 mph winds. Without the motor we would have ended up in Cuba. Yet another time I got caught in a sudden storm with 35 mph winds and 4 ft waves, my motor got me home.
I don't take the boat out in open ocean without the motor, though it is seldom used, I feel it to be a necessary piece of equipment.
There however have been a couple times where the wind has died completely, yet I still wanted to sail. The ti is pretty good at creating it's own wind with the sails ( apparent wind), where you 'motor sail'. Basically with no wind and the motor alone ( no sails) I go around 5mph, if I raise all the sails the boat speeds up to maybe 6-7 mph ( in almost no wind). I always carry at least 50 miles of fuel on board ( about 1 gallon). In the 2 1/2 yrs I've had the motor I have used around 5-6 gallons of gas total ( and 1 small propane bottle).
Both my wife and I are perfectly capable of peddling for ten hrs straight and then get up and do it again the next day. But once in a while you need more.
Hopefully sharing our experience can help keep others safe.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Makes sense in the circumstances you relate. Thanks for sharing and have a happy holiday season!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Buyer beware.. I have a Lehr propane-powered trimmer from Sears. IMO, they are garbage. When propane bottle reaches 1/2 or less, the engine doesn't start.. Good luck with your decision...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Florida Outboards 2HP 4-stroke (19.5 inch shaft) that I'd love to sell. Used less than 1 hour. Works fine, just didn't pan out for what we were going to do with it.

http://www.ioutboardmotors.com/20hp-4-cycle.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sold?????

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Peter.
I have a 3HP outboard which I too only use when I have to.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-3-0HP-In ... 3145744745
We intend to TI the length of the River Murray, 1,476 miles, in 2015.
The Murray is not wide enough to tack in most parts and I aint pedalling that length.

If you do go for the motor, here is the mount I fabricated out of aluminium with blind rivets and epoxy. The aluminium 1" tubes, reinforced with wooden dowelling, go in the rear scupper holes, right through to the bottom. I tie those poles to the cleats where the rear elastic ties. This gives some movement to the mount so I have rubber glued to the pads that sit on the transome. Even though I car top, I don't bother to remove the mount as it is very light.
The motor works well hanging off the side and easily controlled from the rear seat.

I had the motor fitted last week when we did the upper reaches where there is some rapids. Only used the motor to test in the deeper water. The 3 HP is plenty of grunt and maximum speed is obtained at just over half throttle. It uses 1 litre per hour and you are right, it is messy compared to propane, especially when filling under way. That frame on the back takes additional fuel giving me about 5 hours. And no battery to recharge at the end.

Of course the best time is when you shut down the motor and enjoy the peace of sailing. :wink:

Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keep in mind many lakes are motorless, meaning you can't operate a gas (or propane) powered motor where an electric is acceptable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ChangeMan wrote:
Hi Peter.
I have a 3HP outboard which I too only use when I have to.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-3-0HP-In ... 3145744745
We intend to TI the length of the River Murray, 1,476 miles, in 2015.
The Murray is not wide enough to tack in most parts and I aint pedalling that length.

If you do go for the motor, here is the mount I fabricated out of aluminium with blind rivets and epoxy. The aluminium 1" tubes, reinforced with wooden dowelling, go in the rear scupper holes, right through to the bottom. I tie those poles to the cleats where the rear elastic ties. This gives some movement to the mount so I have rubber glued to the pads that sit on the transome. Even though I car top, I don't bother to remove the mount as it is very light.
The motor works well hanging off the side and easily controlled from the rear seat.

I had the motor fitted last week when we did the upper reaches where there is some rapids. Only used the motor to test in the deeper water. The 3 HP is plenty of grunt and maximum speed is obtained at just over half throttle. It uses 1 litre per hour and you are right, it is messy compared to propane, especially when filling under way. That frame on the back takes additional fuel giving me about 5 hours. And no battery to recharge at the end.

Of course the best time is when you shut down the motor and enjoy the peace of sailing. :wink:

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Hi,

I have a new Mercury 5HP 4stroke I intend fitting to my TI. I like the look of your mount. I was going to have an stainless steel mount fabricated and be bolted thru the hull in same location as yours. However I like your the idea of not drilling holes thru the hull. My mount will have to be in s/steel due to the power of the engine. The feet which rest on the hull would of course have to be longer to take/spread the additional load of a 5HP engine (just been running it in in a tub in the back garden!). By the way where do you store your wheels when at sea?
Reason I now want/need an engine is I have had two rudder failures last year. Trust me if anyone ain't had one yet your in for a fright esp. being blown downwind and with the tide pushing at (2 knots) towards rocks solo in a TI, not a chance in hell of peddling even in a light wind. I just managed (peddling like ##### ) to run it up a beach packed with holiday makers 100 feet before the rocks. There was a good swell running which turned the boat slightly side-ways at the last moment causing the aka safety pin to pop. Sunny day in a dry suit ensured I was soaking in sweat! Got out the boat trying to look cool as if I had done it all on purpose :oops:
The first break was due to the plastic rudder pin breaking (whilst at sea!). The second break (thankfully I had a co-pilot this time he was able to paddle steer from the rear seat) again happened at sea, and was due to one of the two s/steel bolts which hold the rudder assembly to the boat shearing :shock:
I have since mounted (behind the rear seat port side) a back up rudder from a small dingy using a Hobie sidekicker mount cut down (engine will be on the starboard side).
I go out in the English Channel near Dover (the narrowest point and tide can reach up to 3 knots (4 knots on the French side) so your soon swept away when things go wrong hence the need for an engine. Also one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world link shows shipping traffic in near real time http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Ron
ps I sail out of Folkestone