Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Ronstan Clear Start watch and the program button (PROG) recently stopped working. All the other buttons work fine. Any suggestions for how to fix the program button? Thanks,

Abraham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Abraham:
I don't own a ronstan but I wore my breitling chronomat out sailing. When using the buttons salt water intruded into the watch and destroyed the watch. Even though the watch was supposed to be good to 150 meters depth. I now have a $20,000 dollar boat anchor.
I don't recommend taking it apart yourself, take it to an authorized repair facility.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

fusioneng wrote:
Abraham:
I don't own a ronstan but I wore my breitling chronomat out sailing. When using the buttons salt water intruded into the watch and destroyed the watch. Even though the watch was supposed to be good to 150 meters depth. I now have a $20,000 dollar boat anchor.
I don't recommend taking it apart yourself, take it to an authorized repair facility.
Bob
You wore a $20,000 out sailing? :? That's nuts.

A Ronstan Clear Start is ~ $100 and all electronic, so there's not much that a repair shop could do that wouldn't cost more than the watch in the first place.
The first thing I would do is replace the battery. These watches get flaky when the battery gets low. If that doesn't work, contact Ronstan and see if they'll warrantee it. [email protected]

If Ronstan won't cover it, the watch is more than likely toast, so there's no real harm in pulling apart to see if you can figure out what's wrong. It may be something simple that you can fix - like a loose contact. Meanwhile, order a new one. I'm on my fourth one, but I haven't had the buttons go bad - the strap breaks and they don't float.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll try replacing the battery and see it that fixes it.

I tried sending an email to Ronstan on their web site and it bounced.

I've had the watch a number of years and I'm sure it's out of warranty.

What happened was we went over and back at the beach the watch was a mess. The display was scrambled and the buttons didn't work. I set it out to dry and the next day the display recovered and the start stop button worked. So, at least I had a timer for the starts.

At home I dunked it in rubbing alcohol and all the buttons except the (PROG) button started working.

I tried to replace the battery but I don't have a screw driver small enough to take the watch apart. I'm sure the local hardware store can help with that.

If a new battery doesn't fix it I'll grit my teeth and get another one. I really like the features like being able to synchronize the watch with the flags during a start.

I'm disappointed with the quality though. It wasn't cheap and getting the watch wet almost ruins it.

I'd like to hear if there are recommendations for other sailing watches.

Thanks,

Abraham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the RF4031, http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF4031, and have been very pleased with it. It's less expensive, not as bulky and is lighter weight than the big blue one and has all the features you need. It's been in the water on many occasions without issue, so it may be more durable too.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got this watch when they had free shipping from the UK. Based the decision on a recommendation from the Sailing Anarchy forums. Have not had it underwater yet so.... http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/optimum_time ... ith_strap/
It also has a "5, 4, 1, 0 ISAF start sequence pre-programmed with audible warning signals (can be silenced) " with synch feature.

Edit: Actually it looks a heck of a lot like MVDs Ronstan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the battery replaced and the watch is working :D

I thought I'd share this in light of it being Christmas Eve. This isn't the best present ever but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for all the advise and recommendations.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year