Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revo seating
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey folks, I know many of you are not in love with the Revo seating. I love the yak, but the seat is uncomfortable and the peg system doesn't work very well. I have the 2011 model with 'improved' pegs, but still have issues and the back can't take more than about 4 hours of use....I have been looking at the Surf to Summit Pro seat and wonder has anyone tried this seat on the Revo or any other seat that you find works great and is comfortable. Any help would be appreciated. Don

Post subject: Re: Revo seating
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Revo11 owner here, and also curious about the aftermarket seat. I dont have so much problem with the pegs that you do, perhaps i'm just fat and have sufficient padding there :lol:
What I DO have a problem is that the adjustment straps on the sides always loosen and I end up reclining in the kayak which is annoying. I've taken to adjusting the straps and then putting a knot in them afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put my Sport seats on my Revo a lot as they are way more comfy ... more of a back support issue. Just bought a new Revo seat to try to make better some how.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm always pulling on my straps too. I thought about adding on of those i-comfort seats, but usually those type seats eventually burst and fill up with water. And that won't fix the problem of loose fitting straps....I'm think I'm better served finding an alternative seat that will be comfortable and long lasting. Surely someone has done this. Help!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie needs to come up with some type of retro fit for the pro-angler 12 seat. That seat needs to be in most of the kayaks they make. I own 2 revos and when fishing the flats I have taken to sitting on top of a small cooler I put behind the seat. It is more comfortable to cast from and I can see the fish much better. Also the boat is still pretty stable and I have no fear of flipping it. I am thinking about trying to make a small beach chair fit in it in some way. I love my revos but need better seating. Come on Hobie, you can do it, we know you can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alway$umthin' wrote:
I'm always pulling on my straps too. I thought about adding on of those i-comfort seats, but usually those type seats eventually burst and fill up with water. And that won't fix the problem of loose fitting straps....I'm think I'm better served finding an alternative seat that will be comfortable and long lasting. Surely someone has done this. Help!

sEs reports success fitting a Surf to Summit seat on his TI:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=43500

Personally I wouldn't be without the iComfort seat pad. We had problems with the first version valves leaking after a year but Hobie replaced them. We have had no problems in the last 2+ years of use (at least twice weekly). I use them with the original seat pad. A must have accessory IMHO!

As far as the seat back slipping issue, adding a camlock buckle solved it for us:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34440&p=139471

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a cushioned boat seat in my Outback. I had to heavily modify it but it worked great and was comfy. Surprisingly it was really stable.

I saw someone install the bracket to a boat seat in their kayak. I will see if i can post pics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

stringy wrote:
Personally I wouldn't be without the iComfort seat pad.
Ditto! I use it in place of the standard bottom for a lower CG/better stability and partially deflate it for maximum comfort. HUGE improvement over the standard seat pad! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the seat pad and it does make a big difference but I still would like to get my hands on the pro12 seat. Anyone know if a person can order a replacement seat with the 2 front brackets? I looked through the on line catalog but did not see one listed. Could I get my dealer to order me one do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just upgraded to the 2011 Revolution due to a hull replacement for my 2008 model. First time out the new seat pegs were brutal. My scrawny tail side got dimpled from the pegs through the velcro strap and hurt for 4 days (I was pedaling for 7 hours straight). I had a Skwoosh seat pad and added that atop the seat pad and it helped. The seat still is not the most comfortable.

The Hobie seat side straps you do need to add a knot to keep them from slipping.

For comfort I had a Skwoosh seat from my first non-Hobie Kayak. That seat is high back and awesome. They are not blowing smoke when they say they have the BEST seatback on the market. I now use that seat in both of my Hobie revolutions.

The rear straps have two point connection at the top of the seat and the seat pad itself. Add a new padeye by the well bungee hook on each side behind the seat and you have ultimate comfort in a high back seat and there is no need for seat pegs at all. The straps are adjustable to tighten the tension to the seat pad.
Rigid battens keep the seat back vertical.
Prices range from 79.00 to 169.00 and with or without lumbar support.

http://www.skwoosh.com/category/kayak-fishing.html

I have spent over 8 hours in that seat in a single outing and no back ache at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mr Revo...which model did you get?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kramster wrote:
Mr Revo...which model did you get?

I have the expedition older model without lumbar (same as high back seat but with an expedition backpack).
Right now I share the expedition between two revos. Wife has disk issues and when we take both out she gets the Skwoosh high back and I use the Hobie seat.
She cannot use a Hobie seat with her back. When I am fishing alone I use the Skwoosh high back. It is too comfortable to share now and I want one all for myself. I am ordering a big catch for me since I do a lot of kayak fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Think I will try a couple thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In addition to a good seat, the Big Catch looks like a compact way, out of the way place to get convenient extra tackle storage. The rod holders might be a good place for a net.

How accessable is the Big Catch on a Revo 11? Looks like you will have to turn around to get at it. The safest way would be to hang your feet over the side with your butt in the seat. Will the seat straps interfere? Based on my capsize/recovery tests, gotta be careful turning and reaching back because my big butt might get out of the CG stability envelope and "Blip", over I go!

If the sidekick AMAs deployed, you can do anything you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chaz wrote:
How accessable is the Big Catch on a Revo 11? Looks like you will have to turn around to get at it. The safest way would be to hang your feet over the side with your butt in the seat.

Yes the best way to reach anything in the rear well is to sit side saddle. I use the Skwoosh seat all the time and have no problem swinging side saddle to get anything from my crate & rod holders or cooler behind it not to mention the expedition pack on the back of the seat.

Fortunately you do learn in time and from experience just how far you can turn without going over. I can twist and reach all my rod holders (5 - 3 on crate and 2 in hull) and poles from the seat. I do like the idea of the big catch rod holder for a net. My net takes up one of the rod holders.

I had taken the pegs from my old 2008 Hobie seat and added them to the Skwoosh seat for use in the 2008 hull but only a pan head screw was above the webbing between the seat back and seat pad. The new twist pegs would not work they project too much above the webbing. I put the seat in the new 2011 hull and found the pegs were not needed anyway.

Revo