Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2013 Regatta Dates
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spring Fever would be the event to attend. Many racers from the NE and SE attend this event but will not come for the other EMSA events.
I had my boat get damaged there several years ago and could not get any help from the race committee, not even a hearing. The other sailor tried to start on port, fouled the boat in front of me and fell back to port right in my path. He admitted fault but refused to provide insurance info and I had to eat a $1k repair.
As a result I will never attend that race again as long as Ernie and Nigel are the promoters. My boat was sinking and I got no help from anyone. Sailed it to the dock, loaded it on the trailer and left.
I know I would hunt the 16 sailor that damaged my boat if he were there. Probably try to nail him under spin and split his boat :x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Im down!

I will plan on attending Spring fever, and depending on attendance there plan on attending the other two in April/May.

In my crowd there would probably my 16 and my friend's 18. I had intentions of going last year but the regatta representative couldn't guarantee a hobie 16 class, just a Portsmouth class (barf).

So lets start planning now and try and get enough people for a hobie 16 and 18 class.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've done a little research on the Spring Fever Regatta on Lake Hartwell, GA, and looks like it will be an outstanding catamaran event. I'll jump on that band wagon. We should definitely try to coordinate a big H16 fleet there. One of my friends from Shreveport may even bring her boat.

NOTE: THE DATES ORGINALLY POSTED ABOVE FOR SPRING FEVER WERE LAST YEAR'S DATES. THE 2013 DATES ARE MARCH 29-31. RACING WILL BE HELD OVER THREE DAYS.

The NOR for Spring Fever won't be published until closer to the end of the month. This link, http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2012/12announce, contains last year's information and will give you a good idea as to what to expect this year. Looks like this will pretty much a week long catamaran festival, complete with racing clinics and a lot of sponsorship. It's big on F18s, not as much on Hobies, but if we make a concerted effort, we can get together a good H16 fleet and hopefully introduce some folks to Hobies. This isn't an HCA sponsored event, but it will be fun, nevertheless. Maybe we can work on some HCA sponsorship down the road. This link has a bunch of pictures from previous year's regattas, http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever/. If you'll plug 1920 Milltown Road, Hartwell, GA into MapQuest it'll show you the regatta site.

Spread the word about Spring Fever to everyone you know with a Hobie, 16 or otherwise, and let's try to have a good showing and at least a large 16 class. More boats = more fun.

I'm going to plan to attend the Hobie Mid-Winter's East in Ocean Springs, MS, two weeks after Spring Fever, and hopefully one of the regattas on Lake Keowee after that. Then I'll see what the rest of the summer brings. If this works out then maybe we can converge on some other venues.

I look forward to sailing with you guys.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spring fever date corrected. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

looks like the only event I can make is the April 20th event. I'll be in Mexico on a surf trip during the Spring Fever. Keep me posted on how the 20th is working out. Can't wait for some better weather. I'm in MN right now and it hasn't gotten above 20F the whole time I've been here. Did have a great snowmobile ride today though and some good ice fishing. Would love to see someone with some blades and a sail out on the lake though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pee Dee Classic
March 16-17
Lake Robinson near Hartsville, SC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since that one is about six hours from Knoxville and I have to be judicious in using my kitchen passes, I'll have to pass on Pee Dee. However, I do still plan to go to Spring Fever in Ga over Easter weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD - Any report from Spring Fever?

Anyone headed to Bare What you Dare next weekend? I'm trying to decide if I want to make the drive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

GD_NC wrote:
MVD - Any report from Spring Fever?

Anyone headed to Bare What you Dare next weekend? I'm trying to decide if I want to make the drive.

Looks like photos posted...nhttp://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2013/13photos/

Trying for Lake Norman Sunday. Bare is up in the air.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spring Fever is a good regatta, however, there wasn't much Hobie participation. There were only four H16s, an 18, and a 21SE on the water that didn't compete. By comparison, there were 15 A Cats, 10 F18s (none were Hobies), 10 F16s, and 2 NACRA 20s. The numbers were disappointing from a Hobie perspective. Nevertheless, if you look at the Spring Fever photos, http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2013/13photos/, and click on Friday, you'll some good photos of H16s racing in light air. The Seabreeze sail (blue, yellow, green) is me. When they post the Sunday photos, you'll see it capsized.

I'd like to work with the guys at Lake Norman Yacht Club to encourage greater Hobie participation at Cat Fest in September. I think that we need to set a mark on the calendar far enough out there so that we can talk it up and hopefully allow time for Hobie people to make plans to be there. One of the keys to getting some more of the serious racers from a little farther away to travel to a regatta in Division 9 is to get an event designated as an HCA points regatta. Although no longer required to qualify for Nationals, points actually mean something to guys that compete a lot. If I can get the Cat Fest folks to commit to giving five Hobie 16s their own start, should that many show up, and I think that's very possible, we can work quickly to get it published in the Hotline as a points event and hopefully that'll draw a good crowd.

However, I've sent emails to some of the guys listed on the LNYC sight and they keep bouncing. Does anyone have any contacts at LNYC they'd like to share? I could use them in a hurry. I need to make contact with their Cat Fest Chairman.

I won't be able to make it to Bare What You Dare. Due to some health issues in my extended family, I had to cancel my plans to go to MWE this week and won't be able to travel for another few weeks.

I look forward to seeing some of you guys out on the water.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD wrote:
However, I've sent emails to some of the guys listed on the LNYC sight and they keep bouncing. Does anyone have any contacts at LNYC they'd like to share? I could use them in a hurry. I need to make contact with their Cat Fest Chairman.

We've even tried to join via the membership form and via email and just heard crickets. We even encouraged to but never had calls returned...
I know one contacts number and will pm you when I can find it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dug around last night and tried a couple of other email addresses. Maybe one of them will yield some results. But send me what you've got, I can use the help. I'd like to put something together in the next couple of weeks, before the next Hotline goes to press.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even though the Hobie participation was light at Spring Fever that's a great turnout for a Catamaran event in this area. I'm glad to hear they had a good crowd.

I sent you the name of the commodore at LYNC. Catfest had a H16 class race last year. So you might not even have to ask. There's a good chance that 3 H16's Raleigh will be there. If you and JonH make it, we are probably good to go. I suspect a few other 16's will show up.

I think a 5 hour drive for me is out of the question next week. I'll probably get my boat set up and hit the local lake and try to improve my tacking. :D