Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commercial Trailers?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does no one offer a sturdy, travel-worthy trailer for two PA's? I have the trailex with cradles but I doubt this thing could make a run to Orange Beach, AL much less Texas. Has anyone else tried already? I've yet to haul both yaks anywhere but the one PA-14 rocks it pretty bad.

I see lots of customized home-made trailers but what about for those of us with zero trailer-building skills or the tools necessary? I guess I could design what I want and have someone make one but I just can't believe no one makes a commercial trailer for serious travel yet.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

Post subject: Re: Commercial Trailers?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What you want to find is a tandem watercraft trailer. Most come with bunks that can simply be slid in or out to accommodate your boats. They're made for "serious" travel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get yourself a Magic Tilt MT14 900 Trailer. It is heavy duty as compared to the Trailex trailer. You can customize it to easily fit 2 PA's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgEkcpu_ ... tQ&index=1

i have this one for sale for $550. thats about what i have in it.

i would rather not have a dual watercraft trailer. i dont want to load my boats from end to front. i'd rather load side to side. just my preference. we dont always launch at a 'ramp', and for any other roadside or rural launching, i'd rather load from the side.
also, the dual watercraft type let the boats ride too low. i cant see them when im towing or backing down. i like seeing the boats up high in case something blows out.
also, while sitting on the trailer, they boats are at a great height to rig, play with gear and prep for launch-all at about waist high. a lower trailer would have me bending over to do all that.

we are having a 'commercial' trailer built by our local trailer shop right now. Float-On. the cost for a side-by-side trailer capable of towing over the road is right at $2, 000. most kayakers dont want to burden that sort of cost, so there are not that many trailer companies catering to the needs of these few.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

uno mas wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgEkcpu_94Y&list=UUSPu7c7Z6pGB9cT_4rrFYtQ&index=1

i have this one for sale for $550. thats about what i have in it.

cheers.
drew

Nice looking trailer Drew! Looks like the bunks are the right distance. I have cradles already and I think they'd mount just fine. Not sure I'd want to store/haul the PA's without them. How long have you been hauling them like that?

Know anyone that would like a trailex trailer? It would be fine for 2 - 4 light yaks esp for local use. Of course I paid like $1000.... LOL!

Any idea what it would cost to ship it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dual watercraft trailers are wide enough that you can easily see them in either of your rear view mirrors. I know - I use one weekly.

They also allow you to easily load the boats front to back or side to side due to their lower height. You needn't lift a boat more than a couple feet.

Not trying to put you off any other trailer, just speaking from personal experience. I've hauled the PA in many different ways and the dual watercraft trailer is far and away the easiest method I've found. It's almost too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The dual watercraft trailers are wide enough that you can easily see them in either of your rear view mirrors. I know - I use one weekly.

They also allow you to easily load the boats front to back or side to side due to their lower height. You needn't lift a boat more than a couple feet.

Not trying to put you off any other trailer, just speaking from personal experience. I've hauled the PA in many different ways and the dual watercraft trailer is far and away the easiest method I've found. It's almost too easy.

I am interested in making a double trailer in this way....Tom, what would it be like when I have a PA on one side and nothing on the other? Is that ok, or is it best to have 2 kayaks for long transport with this type of trailer...

Also, what size tires? Is 12 inch too small for long hauls?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It works fine with just one boat aboard. 12" wheels are more than adequate for highway speeds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a dual jet ski trailer too ....... ditto what Tom said

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:

That is the one draw for me to the lower trailer. Drew's isn't as tall as my trailex though. Right now I can handle the higher trailer ok but I have back issues. There are times when I pay the price for loading. :\

I appreciate all this info!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom always has well thought out ideas. Check out his YouTube channel for explanations.

Looks like ours is maybe 4-6" higher to load than his? Might make a difference to some folks.

I chose not to use cradles or to use PVC runners specifically so that I could load side to side and slide the boats over. We have run this trailer for a year, just over 6,000 miles and have no issue with hull memory. I loosen the straps when the boats are in the garage. I do slide them fore and aft from time to time and check for hull memory. So far, not a bit.
We might launch at our local ramp or on the side of the road in Louisianna or in a parking lot in Panama City, so I like the option of sliding a boat over to one side unimpeaded. Just my thing.

At the current height, the boats are belly button high. I spend more time rigging and playing in the boats so I love this height.

For loading, it's usually two of us so loading is simple from the side or from the rear in a 'traditional' way. If its just me, I load from the rear like you would into a pickup.

I'm not sure what size wheels we have. 12 or 13? Regular utility trailer wheels. Again, after seeing the little fat lawnmower tire and goofy bicycle tire trailers, I wanted something a little safer due to the miles traveled and hey, two PA boats are as valuable as a decent lil flats boat, so why would I skimp and have a possible expensive problem.

The trailer we are having built is going to be the same basic trailer we have now, but aluminum. This design has worked for us so we are making very few changes.

Cheers.
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Know what you mean about some of the trailers being to low. I usually need to raise the hatch lid on my SUV inorder to see to back the trailer. Guess I have become use to doing it this way as it isn't much of a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It works fine with just one boat aboard. 12" wheels are more than adequate for highway speeds.

Thanks Tom! You are the man...I've followed your videos for quite some time. I may end up getting a single jet ski trailer. I will only probably ever need to transport one PA. I think I might build a rack above the pvc rails on the to put another lighter kayak....Jackson Cuda or similar. I am looking into a "creek" running kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:

Tom - Do you have a video/pictures documenting what all you did to this trailer? Why did you decide not to use the bunks and just adjust them to fit the PA's? (Just curious). It looks like all one would have to do is adjust the bunks and remove the two bow wenches. Also, did you remove any of the springs?

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could certainly use the bunks if you wanted to. We wanted something that would allow us to store the PAs on the trailer for long periods and the scupper trough is the stiffest part of the boat. Plastic boats really aren't suitable for being supported cross-ways.

The pipe is something I came up with because they flex and conform to the scupper troughs, narrow at the front and back and wide in the center. Also, they fit the hull up and down, high at the bow and stern and low in the middle. Wooden bunks won't do that.

The boats also slide off the pipe very easily, as well as self center when pulling them back on. From the water you can just pull them on with a bow rope. Hardly any effort required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPd5n83lY5k