Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So without sufficient information I picked up a couple sets of cradles from Hobie for the H18 I bought last year. There really are no installation instructions or materials list that comes with them or found really anywhere so I bet there are hundreds of ways to mount these things but this is what we did.

Album of all the pics http://dtbrown89.imgur.com/

I had 8" rollers with a 5/8 shaft.

After receiving the cradles we decided that 1 1/4 PVC fittings would be perfect for the mounting to the cradles as it fittings are just a little larger than the piping it makes for a tight fit without binding in the recess. So to make the "rollers" that allow you to mount the cradles to the 5/8" shaft you need:

1 - 4 Foot stick of 1 1/4" PVC pipe
8 - 1 1/4" PVC end caps
4 - 1 1/4 PVC Couplings
4 - 1/8" cotter pins
1 - 5/8 drill bit

After you get all your things together knock the caps off one side of the rollers to get at the shaft. Then cut the pvc stick into 8 peices about 3 1/2" long.

Drill 5/8 Holes in the end caps and make using 2 end caps, 2 cut pieces of pipe and 1 coupling make a PVC roller. The coupling makes the strap fit almost perfect on the cradles. Install on the cradles and your almost done!

Don't Forget to drill a whole for the cotter pins so the shaft can't fall out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good idea! I've been trying to figure out how I can attach my homemade cradles (made from 12" pvc pipe). This should work well. Maybe I'll make one over christmas break.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

do you want them on your trailer or beach wheels?

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a serious problem. Can anyone from the factory tell me what the cradles are made of? I thought they where supposed to be fiberglass and did not think anything of it when I installed them and now this........
It has occurred on all of the cradles. the only thing I have done is load the boat on the trailer and that was INCREDIBLE. The boat loaded so easy and sits so nice on those things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is my guess. Your PVC pipe design looks good, but I think it would be very flexible. Your design has 2 pieces of 3-1/2” long 1-1/4” Schedule 40 PVC joined in the middle with a coupling. The steal shaft is supported on the end caps, but the PVC pipe is loaded in the middle at the coupling. I think the Hobie Cradles are designed to be mounted on a steal shaft (like that on the beach wheels). Your PVC shaft bends, and loads the cradle on the edges and pulls on the bolts in the middle, causing the failure. You can see how the PVC end cap (on the right side) is pulling away from the pipe at the bottom as it bends in thelast picture. Just a guess, but that’s what I see.

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's the purple pipe cleaner you see in the last pic. The end caps are actually in the cradle area so the load should be on there. When I looked there was no flexing of the pvc. It seemed just as solid as can be. Btw those cradles wont mount to cat trax as the shaft is 2" diameter and the resess for it on the cradles is much smaller.