Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Santa kindly delivered a Silva 85 Regatta Compass for my TI. Now I'm trying to workout the best place to mount it! On the forward hatch, (but off centre so that I can read it when sailing from the back seat) would seem the logical place, but I am aware of my ageing eyes, especially when sailing at night. Hence I am also considering mounting the compass to the left of the mast, just in front of the fwd aka.

I haven't noticed any AI/TI photos with a compass, hence does anyone else use a compass or have you kept up with technology & solely use GPS? I still much prefer to sail via a compass course. Yeah, I know - old school!!

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Rob.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my TI I bought and mounted two - one for the front and one for the back. Makes it easy for either person to stay on a heading.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I often use the hatch as a seat, sliding over it to reach stuff so I wanted to keep it clear.
I've been using tube clips to attach a compass to the crossbars:

An alternative for your style of compass may be mounting a baseplate to the new Railblaza mounts designed for the crossbars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the Ritchie mounted into the hull, out of way & easy to view.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy, thanks for the suggestion! Using a Railblaza mount would mean that I could store it when not needed!

I had considered other options of mounting the compass aft of the mast, but I have found that when I have my children sailing with me and/or I'm using my Haka seats, the front cockpit is just too busy to safely mount the compass.

This is why I love the forum - lots of novel ideas!

Rob.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
An alternative for your style of compass may be mounting a baseplate to the new Railblaza mounts designed for the crossbars.
As far as I know, the Blaza railmounts are sized for the 41mm Aka bars, not the crossbars. You could use a Blaza sideport if you don't mind drilling all the way through the crossbars.

http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/sideport/180/59/

A cheap RAM strap-on system might be a better choice.

I like Stringy's clips too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have mine mounted just left of the mast, just in front of the aka.
That way it is always in view and it is easy to hold a bearing.
The old rule in sea kayaks was to mount it as far forward as you can while still being able to clearly read it. The reason is that you don't have to look down while you read it. Looking down causes some people to develop sea sickness, while keeping eyes on the horizon helps reduce sea sickness.
Here is a pic. Sorry it is not very clear, but I am in the bush for another week and the connection is so slow, it doesn't allow me to upload another picture. This one is already on a server so it will have to do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info on the Railblaza Nohuhu and sorry for the bum steer Rob!
It may be simpler and much cheaper to use the tube clips if you want to mount to the crossbar. For the TI you need the 44mm size tube holder- about $4 each at Bias Boating or Whitworths. The Plastimo compass I use on the TI (on right in pic) is mounted to PE cutting board for a base.

bjb wrote:
I like the Ritchie mounted into the hull, out of way & easy to view.

I agree and that was how I had it mounted on two of my earlier AI's. However I had trouble getting a good seal (the Ritchie gasket is useless on the rough plastic) and they became a leak source over time. For this 3rd install I went with a 50mm gauge mount.
BTW- is it an optical illusion with your pic or have Hobie changed the design of the forward footwell wall? Yours looks convex where my '11 hull is concave. :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
(the Ritchie gasket is useless on the rough plastic) and they became a leak source over time. For this 3rd install I went with a 50mm gauge mount.
BTW- is it an optical illusion with your pic or have Hobie changed the design of the forward footwell wall? Yours looks convex where my '11 hull is concave. :?

I agree the Ritchie gasket is a waste, I cut the hole for a very snug fit, haven't had any leak issues.

Must be the lighting, it does look strange! Had to go out & check, it is like yours!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Thanks for the info on the Railblaza Nohuhu and sorry for the bum steer Rob!
It may be simpler and much cheaper to use the tube clips if you want to mount to the crossbar. For the TI you need the 44mm size tube holder- about $4 each at Bias Boating or Whitworths. The Plastimo compass I use on the TI (on right in pic) is mounted to PE cutting board for a base.
Sure thing. In fitting the railmounts on a few boats we found that the 41mm mounts could be stretched around the cross members, but they require 3 additional sets of spacers, which Railblaza does not yet sell separately.

So drilling the bars for a sideport or flush mounting a standard starport to the upper deck are viable options.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bjb wrote:
Must be the lighting, it does look strange! Had to go out & check, it is like yours!

Thanks for that Bob. So it really is an optical illusion. Now each time I look at your pic I see the footwell wall in a different way -either in or out and whatever I see first sticks until I look away again! It's messing with my head :)

Nohuhu,
Thanks for that. Good to know for future reference!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy, NOHUHU,

I'm reluctant to drill into the crossbars, however I could use a RAILBLAZA flush mount & Platform to mount the compass in the space to the left of the mast. I would just need to ensure that the platform lifts the compass 90mm so that the compass base is above the crossbar. (The 44mm Tube holders are also a suitable option!)

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nicnrob,

I mounted two Ritchie XP-98 Tactician Sailing Compasses in exactly the same positions as shown above in the photo posted by Tom Kirkman. I chose the hatch location in both cockpits because it puts each compass on centerline with one's eye while sitting in either cockpit. Also, one compass backs up the other, and either person can hold a heading or otherwise help with navigation. Thus far, I haven't felt that either compass was in the way. Moreover, they're easy to read.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very glad it's working well for you.

Anyone that does this on an AI, however, should take note that the hatch isn't in the center of the boat. Thus to get the compass on hull centerline as well as keeping it from interfering with your pedaling motion, you'll need to offset it on the hatch onto the actual hull centerline.