Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a PA 12 this summer and I'm looking at installing a trolling motor. Been doing a bunch of searches but the answers are not really as specific as I was hoping. The two main players (evolve and bassyak) are well north of $1000 (one is much further north than the other) for the variable speed, retractable and rear drive units that I'm sure are the best way to propel a yak but high ????'s. My question: If I side mount from a IslandHopper (or similar) with a variable speed V45 MotorGuide (or similar) that I can purchase complete package for about $600, is the performance going to be just plain terrible versus a rear mount expensive unit? Would like to just set the speed on the motor and use the PA rudder for steering. Anybody have some experience and thoughts? I've seen some great DIY plans on forums for rear drive, cost efficient units but really don't want to go that direction, at least not right now. Basically, I'm looking at $600 for a god side mount unit or $1300 for a similar motor, mounted on the back. In your opinion is the extra $700 worth it? I really appreciate your opinions and I'm sure they will be diverse but that's what I love about these forums cause it gives us different information and thoughts to process before making a move. Please don't go into any Evolve versus Bassyak discussion. More interested in side mount versus rear mount.

Thanks, Brian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will indeed lose some performance by installing the motor on the side of the kayak, but if you get the motor set right (depth and offset angle) it won't be as bad as you might think. In fact, it'll work pretty well considering the cost difference. You can fabricate your own side mount, a good one, for under $20 and then use whatever your choice in trolling motors might be.

Don't worry about making anything to use as a counterweight on the opposite side. It's not needed. You can easily trim the boat by moving your battery an inch or two off center.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
You will indeed lose some performance by installing the motor on the side of the kayak, but if you get the motor set right (depth and offset angle) it won't be as bad as you might think. In fact, it'll work pretty well considering the cost difference. You can fabricate your own side mount, a good one, for under $20 and then use whatever your choice in trolling motors might be.

Don't worry about making anything to use as a counterweight on the opposite side. It's not needed. You can easily trim the boat by moving your battery an inch or two off center.

Brian, I had an 16ft old town canoe set up as above and it worked awesome!
I would recommend the Minn Kota Traxxis 45 for motor of choice.

Later, MM