Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fading - PA 12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Living in FL and fishing 2-3 times a week, I know that UV fading on a kayak will occur. I have noticed that the top of PA is fading much faster than what I would normally expect. Most of the fading seems to occur where the surface has the grain finish. Don't notice it some much on the smooth portions of the deck. Guess I should add that the color is the yellow/papaya.

I give it a treatment every couple weeks with Aerospace Protectant 303 as this has usually prevented fading on other kayaks. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue???

Post subject: Re: Fading - PA 12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How do you store the boat? This is not a normal condition for a properly stored poly kayak, but the non-skid decks do tend to take on a chalky appearance, making it look like color fade. Just for grins, I would forgo the 303 and slather some Armorall on the non-skid portion for a month or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is stored in the garage and the SUV sits outside :!: Maybe your statement about the chalky appearance is a better description of the problem. What causes this to happen?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure what the cause is. Hobie changes their plastic formulas every so often. Some get more "chalkier" or lighter looking on the non-skid decks than others. Armorall seems to help, but it offers no UV protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Personally, I think you fish too much!! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish I could get out there more often. I did get the Dune/Ivory/Sand color PA in great part for that reason.. I believe the other colors are clearly more prone to display some significant amounts of fading.

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like Hobie changed the formula on their hull material. I'd go back to the dealer and complain. Hobie is usually very responsive with this sort of thing.

It's strange the 303 didn't 'fix' the chalking. That's one of it's big selling points. Makes me think maybe Hobie left some ingredient out of the formula......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dont know if we should give an opinion without photos. maybe a coupe of pics could give everyone a chance to see what issue you have. i know you have some other photos on here--ie, the battery box, but maybe a couple of pic showing just what the color fading issue looks like might find a solution.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any PA12 that has fade is not to be expected at all. This is a new model after all. If it sat outside every day from the day it was bought, it shouldn't have faded this soon. Document this problem with the dealer and see what he can do for you..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure the photo's will be able to show exactly the problem. Will give it a try to see if I can capture it with a pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Even though people believe that 303 or Hobies product is adequate being applied every couple months it's not. I have thoroughly tested these products on Poly and treated some samples every day, then some once a week, and some once every two months.
It's clear that numerous applications are necessary to retain max protection .

You only need to apply it on the top of the yak because that's what gets the most sun. When i applied it as often as once a week the yak retained it's color with zero fade after a years use.

The UV rays soak up the 303/ Ncnett product as it's being exposed while your out using it , if not replenished regularly there is nothing left protecting the yak, that's why the kayak often looks faded.

If you want the yak to be protected at all times you must repeat applications before you go out in the elements again, forget the once a month stuff, if you only go out once a month fine, but if you go out 4 or 5 times a month make sure you reapply regularly.

I know expensive, just do the top where it gets constant sun. I don't care about fading too much but fading indicates cracking is not far behind.

This is why if you read info on buying a used yak, nearly every article says stay clear of faded yaks, they indicate how much sun a yak has been subjected to.

The less exposure to the sun the higher retail value mostly due to micro fractures , i know a lot of offshore kayakers and none of them will take a chance of going offshore with a kayak that has seen years of use and has noticeable fade, they say it's way to chancy of having a sudden crack develop. It's the biggest drawback of poly kayaks and has been for years and years.

Manufacturers are starting to use other materials and the ones that are at the forefront will have a huge edge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

It is absolutely true that the non-skid areas show more of a chalky look. For starters... They have a faded look when new. They are rough and unpolished. They absorb salts and dirt and are difficult to coat with UV or other products. These areas will never have the rich color of the polished areas.

You can best determine if there is a problem with the plastic on the shiny surfaces. If these areas don't show unusual fade, the plastic is fine.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)