Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hooter Prep
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cny_ap wrote:
Maybe Hobie should simply make the jib larger. Since it does not come standard with the boat, new sailors won't have/buy one, so why not make it useful.

Dude
The only reason Hobie makes a tiny jib for this boat is to teach owner's kids how to handle a 2 sail rig (or to give a new sail crew with something to do with their hands). It also comes in handy for Sailing Schools and Resorts. The main has more than enough power to come about on its own.
Tri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A larger jib has been done. There's a fellow in Australia that had one customized so that it's 20% larger and it seems to work. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=ULOeuCsqC7hk0&v=OeuCsqC7hk0.

Question for Rick W, how does the hooter and hardware break down for trailering? Would it add a bunch of time to the set-up and take down?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Norm742 wrote:
A larger jib has been done. There's a fellow in Australia that had one customized so that it's 20% larger and it seems to work. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=ULOeuCsqC7hk0&v=OeuCsqC7hk0.

Question for Rick W, how does the hooter and hardware break down for trailering? Would it add a bunch of time to the set-up and take down?

The hooter is designed as a take down system. The connections to your boat are one bolt(for the pole), one pin(on the mast), and some knots. I guess 20 minutes extra or so. My boat stays rigged all summer so I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

9th time on Erie, 6 with the hooter out. Today a steady 10 mph wind and good results. Enough to get the hull up but no risk of capsize. Still furling the sail to tack and gybe. I'm lucky to be on Erie with miles in one direction. My lines are more organized on the tramp and the entanglement issues are gone. I mentioned that the boat may point better with the hooter but now I think it's the same as the stock boat. I sailed with a Hobie 18 yesterday. My speed was not much less but he could point so much better that it was no contest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking back at the Hooter posts and will try to answer some of the questions. I spent about 40 days on Lake Erie last summer with the Hooter deployed. Erie has steady winds and large waves.
The system held up well. I leave it set up all summer with a sail cover protecting the Hooter sail when not in use. Add 20-30 minutes set up time if you trailor your boat.
I weigh 200lbs, my wife 110lbs. Sailing alone I can handle 12 mph winds, with my wife 14mph. This means sailing under control, flying a hull without fear of capsize. I/we did go over a few times in higher winds but no big deal, IT'S A WAVE! Most of the time when in trouble we would depower by either pinching or heading downwind depending on our point of sail at the time.
I partially furled the Hooter when tacking or jibing as seen in this photo.The Hooter is a big sail with lots of overlap. The sail would not clear the rigging unless I furled some. The photo shows me beginning a tack. I have good speed and have just furled the Hooter. As I pass head-to-wind the Hooter will backwind a bit and push the front of the boat through the tack. Then unfurl, sheet in, and off you go.

Last edited by wattfarm on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet!