Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a quick video of my first Fishing Trip of 2013. I was surprised to find good weather, clear water and hungry fish. Ended the day with four Trout and a 27” Redfish.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lln2muURc0[/youtube]

Can't wait to get back out there...!

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

Last edited by Hobie Angler on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video, thanks for sharing. Looks like you had some nice fishing on a beautiful day!

Weather sure is a bit nicer than out here in Portland, OR. On my trip on the 29th the water temp was 42, the air temp dipped to 34 by the time I came back in (from a high of 38) and it started raining on the trip back to the ramp. At least I didn't have to check the UV index before heading out :)

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pdxfisher,

34 degrees and rain can be a deadly combination. You certainly would not find me there. I guess that's what so many people like about Florida. It hardly ever gets down into the 30s... We did have a year when it dipped down below freezing and stayed that way most of the day. Had a massive fish kill. There were dead Redfish, Trout and Snook all along the shore for several miles. That's how you know it doesn't get that cold typically.

Of course, the temperature yesterday was fabulous...! It got up to 77. We call it beach weather.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rub it in Hobie Angler :lol: . I live in the same area as PDXfisher warm clothes and a drysuit is as warm as it can get.

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Hobie Angler, my brother lives in Florida so you don't have to rub it in, I get plenty of that already :) I do agree with BentRodyakker though, with my drysuit and several layers of clothing I am pretty toasty even on the cold days. The funny thing is that I consider the winters and water temps to be quite mild here compared to hiking through knee deep snow to go flyfishing in PA in the winter.

Hobie Angler, I remember my brother telling me about that fish kill. If I remember that was 2 or 3 years ago. He said that the fishing was pretty poor for a while after that.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good stuff there...thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice video. I was also on the Lagoon that same afternoon. The wind was calm and the water was exceptionally clear.

I saw a bit of tailing but I was only able to land a 15" Flounder and this sluggish beauty :

I does not look like the weather will be as nice tomorrow but I plan on getting out there tomorrow in my Revo 13.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:
Nice video. I was also on the Lagoon that same afternoon. The wind was calm and the water was exceptionally clear.

I does not look like the weather will be as nice tomorrow but I plan on getting out there tomorrow in my Revo 13.

Mike

Mike, I see that you are in the New Smyrna area... Do you ever put in there by the Smyrna Dunes and work the area by the Lighthouse/Inlet? Somewhere close to the Coast Guard station I have seen a couple of Kayaks Launch. Seems like there should be some good Flounder and Bluefish running right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JR,
Funny you should ask; I'm a So. Fla. transplant and have only been fishing this area since this past June (at least once a week). Up until Dec. 23, I have been sticking strictly to the Lagoon.
If you have seen me out there, you would easily recognize me by my smile:
Image :lol:

The 23rd was my first try at the Inlet and it was a blast. Not being familiar with the launch at Smyrna Dunes, I chose to launch at the North Causeway which is about a 4mi. pedal to the inlet (tons of bait fish on the way).

I beached at Smyrna Dunes for a short break and to gear up. I made a quick cast of a live shrimp from the beach and hooked up a Blue right away.

My goal was to time it right and ride the tide out and back in later and I was lucky enough to get it right.

While in the inlet, there was tons of action and I was hooking up Blues faster than the bait (live shrimp and mullet) could sink. I managed to land a couple of Stingrays and one fish which I later learned was a Whiting. I was glad to have my Sidekicks on as it can get pretty rough in the inlet and, with the Blues chomping up my leaders, I had to focus on a lot of knot tying.

As soon as the tide turned, my time in the inlet was over as that current was a chore to keep stationary in.

Needless to say, I had a blast and that afternoon I was at the local bait and tackle store picking up a the right rigging to get to the bottom of the inlet, a new Shimano heavy action rod, and a Saragosa 5000 to fight the big fight. I also picked up a cheap casting net to try and get my share of those bait fish I saw.

If you ever want to venture out there, I could always use a fishing partner.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl... Mike, it sure sounds like you have the equipment ready to fight. Good to hear that you are familiar with the Inlet area. I go there often but haven't taken the boat out there yet. I have always wondered about the tide being a challenge for Kayak fishing. We will have to stay in touch and perhaps one day meet up at the Lagoon for some Red fishing.

You mentioned that you were going to head out today...did you make it out there? It was actually a nice day, just a little windy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did manage to get out today but it was another late start (thanks to Corona Light). I was in the Lagoon by noon and out around 5pm. It was cold and windy at 5.

I only saw a couple of flats boats and 0 kayaks. The tide water was extremely low and I think this really limited access to the area I was in (not that it mattered as I only landed a huge catfish and nothing else).

I pedaled against the wind for a few miles then lifted the mirage drive and rudder in hopes of drifting close to some Reds. I found a few groups of them and drifted some live shrimp to where they were at but they had no interest whatsoever.

I eventually drifted into a sandbar where I beached the kayak and got out to try and do some broadcast casting into the nearby grasses. I had a couple of nice hits (not sure by what) but I only landed one huge catfish.

One plus was that I got to see a Bald Eagle pluck a fish out of the water and fly off with it. I had no idea that Bald Eagles were in the Mosquito Lagoon.

Always a good day when fishing............

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

looks like a good trip

we have fairly cold weather for 2-3 months hear in southeast texas ... December-Feburary....30's-50's i layer up pretty good ... thermals,sweats on bottom ...underarmour, a fishing shirt & fleece ontop ... this year i dug out my snowboard bibs & threw them on top of the layers... so much better than years past without them...top it off with waders & a wading jacket. ooohh dont forget a beanie,fleece neck gaurd, buff & neprene gloves ... works good for our flats fishing 8)

http://lonestarkayakseries.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here I am looking out the window, thinking today was the day... Wow... It is dead calm and with the exception of a few clouds almost completely clear. The weather man got it wrong again. Oh well, vacation is over today. Back to work tomorrow. :roll: