Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know of an alternative seat = a bit higher - stiffer - keeps it's adjustments?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I swear by my chopped down lawn chairs. Parts list: Hack saw, rivet gun, two old low profile aluminum lawn chairs, pool noodle, and some foam. Puts the support up high and in the back where it is supposed to be. No straps going forward. I leave my Hobie seat at home and sit on a boat cushion. Nice plus: provides a place to hang and store stuff and keeps the main sheet away from my head when the sail is furled. See picture on my kayak mode post at my web site (below). Plans for an alternate PVC version is also at the site, but the aluminum is better.
The design takes advantage of the AI's aka connection behind the seat as a hard point. Not sure how this would fit on a TI, but I have been successful in adapting it to a cheap paddle kayak by running a strap forward.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a plastic molded seat that just sits in the canvas Hobie seat. The canvas seat adjusts where you want it and the molded chair will be the higher or ridged seat you are looking for. Goes for about 10 to 15 bucks at the sporting goods stores.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was looking at modified other sail making seat makers such as skwoosh. I love my adventure but the seat does suck compared to my native watercraft seat which was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same here. I have a 2012 AI and bought the i-comfort cushion which works great, but now the backrest is too low. I put the i-comfort seat cushion on the bottom using the eye posts from the factory seat and am looking for something to make the seat back higher. I also bang my head against the sail when it's trimmed.

The other problem I notice is that the straps to tighten the backrest tend to slip so the backrest slips backward. Is there a fix short of a new seat?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the straps slipping, when you get them adjusted the way you like them, tighten then just a little more then tie a half-hitch with the loose strapping and tighten it up against the plastic. The knot should jam and no longer slip.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sure fix for sliding seat strap is to introduce a second buckle - I use a stainless buckle I picked up at the local boat shop, hasn't slipped since.

Seat comfort - comfort pad only goes OK, play with the pressure and glue a non slip pad underneath.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's an idea I plan to pursue in the near future (I've been using the TI so much I sort of put the AI on the back burner). It should be possible to fabricate a sort of sling seat for the AI, which could be anchored to the gunwale on both sides. If the bucket was set so that the bottom was just an inch above the present molded seat bottom, you'd no longer be sitting in a tub of water all the time.

Comfort in such a seat would depend on the particular user's butt and his/her own preferences. It could easily be made to hold a thin pad if desired.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:50 pm 

its on the way http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Mid-Back-Folding-Seat&i=80900&aID=601C5A&merchID=4006

not sure how but I have a few months this winter to figure it out, any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What about a Skipper Seat?

We all use them. They are more comfy and dryer, the back support is better, and it doubles as camp-chair too. The ones we use have rounded corners and fit quite well.

Here is how Josh did it:

http://modernkayakfishing.com/articles/rigging/336-fitting-a-skipper-seat-to-adventure-island

I use the horseshoe clamps just as a guide for the loops attached to the back of the seat and then loop them over the 'button' below (the one you normally use to keep the back of your seat upright.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As discussed in another thread, Check out the Skwoosh high back seats.
You would need to add a couple pad eyes behind the seat for the lower seat straps but is an incredibly comfortable seat. Excellent high back rigidity.

http://www.skwoosh.com/category/kayak-fishing.html

Revo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Hi Revo

I worked with Skwoosh for many years when I was a hard core kayak fisherman. I tried really hard to get skwoosh to come out with a air assisted gel seat. So you can blow it up and let out the air and get the cushion and feel of the seat just right.

I like the seat and I actually used there fishing seat on my 2008 adventure island. I have a couple of different versions of Skwoosh seat in the shop, if I thought it would work better then the new Hobie seat I would have had it on there already.

My feelings is that the hobie seats are excellent, but I need comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got today the big tuna from skwoosh. I barely looked at it as I was leaving for work, but will provide a detailed report after I look at it. I love my 2006 AI but hate the seat from hobie. It's weak, and bends back causing a backache over time.

Revo_1756 wrote:
As discussed in another thread, Check out the Skwoosh high back seats.
You would need to add a couple pad eyes behind the seat for the lower seat straps but is an incredibly comfortable seat. Excellent high back rigidity.

http://www.skwoosh.com/category/kayak-fishing.html

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:57 pm 
Skwoosh seats have come along way, but they are still the same old kayak seat

thats also a very exspensive seat!!!!!

I spent $60 for my new seat and $14 dollar piece of pine to create mount over the cockpit.

I am very interested in your report of the seat for my other fishing kayaks, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeped wrote:
Anyone know of an alternative seat = a bit higher - stiffer - keeps it's adjustments?

Hi sailman,

I have been using Skwoosh seats for many years now and have found them the most comfortable for a kayak seat. jeped had asked about an alternative high back seat. I can only speak from my experience. I have sat over 8 hours kayak fishing in the Skwoosh seat with no loss of support or backache afterward.
The gel pad I find no less comfortable than the inflatable icomfort seat pad which I have and which soon leaked and then served no useful purpose at all. Patch it and it soon leaked again and once deflated it might as well be just a thin piece of foam. When that happens early in a fishing day you end up with a PITA by the time the day is through. I have a scrawny backside with little cushion. I am in no way knocking the Hobie seats. I just find Skwoosh more comfortable for me. I have a Skwoosh Angler II seat pad that I have put over the Hobie seat pad. I think I will try it atop the Skwoosh gel seat for kicks just to see what a double gel seat is like.

I sail my revolution and do not have an AI. Your seat solution looks like a nice cost effective adaptation for an AI since center of gravity not as critical in the AI. That seat is too high for a kayak alone. No question of comfort with that seat. Plush!