Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have upgraded from hero 2 to hero 3 and i want to take advantage of the HD abilities.
im am certainly a go pro novice so what i ask may be elementary.
some of my videos are not viewable on mobile devices. i think i can make that distinction when publishing from imovie, but im not exactly sure.
so when making video, would people rather see HD on the laptop or PC, or should video be published where it can be viewed on mobile devices?

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are you putting background music to the video? If so, and you're using songs that you've downloaded to your computer (rather than songs offered by Youtube) then you've likely have a copyright issue. If the song was flagged by Youtube they will still publish it to Youtube.com but it will not be viewable on mobile devices. This is b/c the U.S. and several other countries have an exemption that allows the songs to be used but there are a list of countries that do not allow the use of music other than your own or music that you have purchased the rights too.

If this is not the reason then you simply have to log onto your Youtube channel, select "My Videos", select the video in question, when it opens there will be a tab at the top that says "Info and Settings", click the tab, under the video on this next screen click on "Advanced Settings", on this screen you'll see a section labeled "Syndication", you just need to click the box to allow the video to be seen on mobile devices. If you can't change this then you'll have to refer to my first paragraph.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The internet is a low resolution medium. Putting HD videos on Youtube does not generally result in the viewer seeing a higher resolution video, but rather requiring more time to download and view a video displayed at the same resolution.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

YouTube usually has different resolutions available right on the video. I usually upload 720p and then you can pick the resolution. Sometimes if you are on a slow Wi-Fi a lower res helps download faster. Also write and perform my own music. Good ole Mac (Apple) makes it all soo easy.

Last edited by Kramster on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ring King wrote:
Are you putting background music to the video? If so, and you're using songs that you've downloaded to your computer (rather than songs offered by Youtube) then you've likely have a copyright issue. If the song was flagged by Youtube they will still publish it to Youtube.com but it will not be viewable on mobile devices. This is b/c the U.S. and several other countries have an exemption that allows the songs to be used but there are a list of countries that do not allow the use of music other than your own or music that you have purchased the rights too.

If this is not the reason then you simply have to log onto your Youtube channel, select "My Videos", select the video in question, when it opens there will be a tab at the top that says "Info and Settings", click the tab, under the video on this next screen click on "Advanced Settings", on this screen you'll see a section labeled "Syndication", you just need to click the box to allow the video to be seen on mobile devices. If you can't change this then you'll have to refer to my first paragraph.

music--yes. no copyright issue flag. i had that once, so i know what it looks like. i do have one video that had a copyright issue and got a notice. also i do have notice on one other about the 'blocked in some countries'. one of the ones that is not viewable on mobile, says, 'matched third party content'. the only HD one that i can view on mobile says 'acknowledged third party content'. so i guess the music is the issue, i just gotta figure a work around.

i did check the syndication. not sure if i am doing it right. there does not seem to be a way to change. it says 'no, should not be viewable on mobile.' dont see a way to change this.
i checked again on my imovie settings, and it 'should' be viewable on mobile devices.
it's a learning process.

ring king, you obviously have done this a good bit. your text matches everything i have researched. i may be bending your ear more often as my learning continues.

here's one of the videos i'm having the mobile device issue with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQ9BEeN ... tQ&index=1

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had similar problems on YouTube. There are companies that "match" the music used in many videos, even though it's not theirs so they can place advertising on our videos to make money. If your music is from a free or approved source, dispute the claim! include the source of your music and the music owners info. (For many this should have already been credited in your video or post) It can take over a month to be cleared but then it should be back unencumbered.

My Christmas card slideshow video this year was tagged 'matched third party content' and all during the holidays these idiots ads played through it. Won't be cleared for another couple of weeks.

The free music creators are constantly fighting this with YouTube. Hopefully a better system will be used in the future.

One of your videos marked 'acknowledged third party content', you must of (accidentally?) agreed that it used their music.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's my solution: YouTube issues. Post #5 & #7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My solution is to leave music out of my videos...

I may be showing my age but personally there is nothing i like less than downloading a video I want to watch only to find that it has been set to some sort of music that is "better than it sounds".

IMO society is putting far too much store in music these days - it seems you can never get away from the stuff... It is in restaurants, bars, rest rooms, dentists waiting rooms, telephone systems... everywhere! Talk about noise pollution! There doesn't seem to be any place you can go these days where someone has not decided that you need to be "entertained" with some sort of music...

Except the outdoors... but even there you all too frequently see people with earphones and hear the faint tish tish of popular music and when you find an outdoors video and want to enjoy the experience that someone else has enjoyed you often, dare I say usually, find that they have felt the need to replace the audio part of the experience with blasting guitars and drums and someone wailing about 'lerrrv'... The same is true of even high quality professionally produced outdoor programmes such as those from the BBC - even these feel the need to set the natural world to 'music of the spheres' most of the time.

Why is this necessary? If you are recording nature what is wrong with natural sounds I ask? Why is it deemed necessary to mask nature with music?

Anyway maybe I am showing my age/expressing a minority view... But you're welcome to go to my youtube channel ('Stobb0' - last 'o' is a zero) to enjoy a small selection of the natural sounds of the great NZ outdoors without my choice of music to "entertain" you.