Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Add-on cart cradle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Yes, but it is plastic. Price here is $49 according to my dealer.

Hmm... An extra $20 over the US price? :-/

Will this be of any use for an A.I., or is it solely for the TI?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Australia has freight, duty taxes and another level of distribution cost... plus they deal with multiple currencies and exchange rates.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Australia has freight, duty taxes and another level of distribution cost... plus they deal with multiple currencies and exchange rates.

Fair enough...

Will this cradle (#80044202 CRADLE / PLUG-IN CART FOR TI USE) work with the A.I.?

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The picture of the cart shown has beach wheels, which according to Hobie's catalog have a capacity of 176 pounds. A later posts states this cradle on this cart is for the Tandem Island, which weighs 190 pounds according to Hobie. My understanding was that the Heavy Duty cart could only be used with the Tandem Island as recommended by Hobie (back when they were recommending this cart prior to this cradle)? Has something changed in the recommended load limitations? Are different wheels being used now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

We recommend the HD cart for the full TI load.

The Trax Cart shown (176 lbs) is suitable for a TI with Amas off... and has been used for the Full TI Load without issue here. The 176 capacity comes from the Tires printed limitation.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flaneur:
I had the trax cart with the grey balloon tires, and used it to haul my loaded TI, it worked, but was a continous pain filling up the tires, and making sure I didn't get sea shells between the rim and the tire (sharp sea shells pop the tires- FYI). I finally filled the tires with Slime (a thick green substance you put into bike tires), it all worked fine until one day I was hauling the fully loaded TI out of the water, my wife was helping, a sea shell splinter got between the rim and the rubber tire and punctured the tire. My wife got completely covered with the green slime (true story). I went to the local dealer and told them what happened, they gave me a good discount on a set of the tuff foam filled tires (they fit right on the existing trax cart). I have used the Hobie tuff (foam filled) tires ever since, I love them. I still have the grey air tires in the garage, but have not used them since, "am not allowed to use them within 20 ft of wife or her white convertible roadster".
Turns out 95% of the time the areas where I launch are firm enough to work just fine. In the few times I have had to pull over soft dry sand, we break the boat down and take two trips to the water from the car (not a big deal).

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Will this cradle (#80044202 CRADLE / PLUG-IN CART FOR TI USE) work with the A.I.?

This cradle will only support the central section of the AI's hull, between the scuppers. The edges of the hull will be unsupported so it's probably a waste for use on the AI. I've had no problems with the trax cart on the AI, just make sure you use the tennis balls for support.

fusioneng wrote:
I had the trax cart with the grey balloon tires...
Bob

Bob, were these the Trax1 or Trax2 tyres?
In the TI's early days we used the Trax2 successfully with the fully loaded TI. The balloon tyres on the Trax2 were much better than the Trax1 and we had no issues with them. They were right on the limit of their capacity though and looked to be doing it tough but they didn't ever fail. I added the extra wheels as seen in the pic on Page 1 of this post just for security, though they do help with flotation over sand. It's still the cart I use if I have to haul over sand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding this cradle to the C-Tug cart turns it into an effective and cheap TI dolly cart:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=46391&p=199751#p199751

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just checked and the TI cradle isn't a good fit on the AI. The centre hull lobe is narrower than the TI's and the cradle doesn't fit into the groove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if you could melt those to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

it shouldn't be too difficult to make one up in glass fibre over the hull of the boat for a bespoke fit.

Cc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is this cradle part #80044202 designed to be used with the Heavy duty wheels with a TI, and if so does Hobie deem this safe for TI use ?

(It was my understanding that Hobie had deemed scupper carts in general to be unsuitable for TI use and were only willing to sanction the "Dolly" ....)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe they have now determined that with mandatory use of this cradle the heavy duty cart is suitable for use with the TI

Post subject: plug in cart or Dolly?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences....!
I am about to buy a TI and trailer. I can get the trailer close to the water, but will typically have 100-300yards further to go to get wet.
I was thinking about the HD plugin trolley with the support cradle, but my dealer (whose opinion I respect a lot) is telling me to get the dolly.
The problem is the size of the dolly, and that I don't really have anywhere to put it by waters edge, necessitating a walk back and forth to the trailer.....

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1 - Is the preference for a dolly over cart purely a comfort thing or does the plug in with the support cradle still damage the hull? I can take discomfort for short periods of time!

2 - Is it really practical to take the plug in cart sailing as advertised, or does it get in the way of lines and need to be left ashore anyway?

3 - Now that a support cradle is required, does this cradle also fit in the TI in a comfortable way while sailing if the cart is taken?

4 - Can the TI be stored on the Dolly or trailer for any period of time or does it need to be removed from either ASAP and stored flat upside down?

5 - I am getting tramps, cover, trailer, cart, and mirage drive storage bags. Are there any other highly recommended and useful accessories I should consider?

Many thanks!
rezaff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I permanently store my TI on its trailer, on the Hobie cradles, but also supported on rollers, effectively dividing support of the hull into four quarters. I can't see any distortion