Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turbo Fin comes off post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys, I was sailing my TI Saturday on Botany Bay and only using the Mirage drives to clear and approach the beaches and assisting turning through the wind. After having removed both drives in metre deep water then the rudder, before jumping out and beaching her, a passer by came up and said "does this come from your boat?". Shock horror, it was one of my turbo fins. I looked and it was one off my rear drive, where I sit, I hadn't noticed when I removed it. The post was straight and perfectly intact, and with the adjuster screw and and brass knurled nut still in place. The rubber on the fin where the brass adjuster nut sits was absolutely undamaged. The only possible answer for this was that the knurled nut had been pulled through the hole possibly aided by spray lubricant I had applied that morning to the chains and all bearings.
Could WD-40 have stretched and lubricated the rubber enough to allow the nut to pull through the hole without any damage? Anyone had similar problems?
Cheers, Peter

Have: Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

This is from installing the drive improperly. The forward end is below the shelf and the aft fin is up in the well. When pedaled, the aft fin is pried off the clew hardware.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt. :oops: I would have sworn that I had it in correctly as in all the other times, but having said that, I do recollect having to adjust the pedal position further back than usual so I would say you are right. It just goes to show that there is always still a trap for old players. Cheers. :P

Have: Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The exact same thing has happened to me twice. I'm glad to see a response to this post from Hobie, as I couldn't figure this out and t baffled me. The first time I was able to recover the fin, the second time I lost it in the swells.

However, I will say that at least one of the times it came off wasn't from installing it improperly. The first time I had a first time passenger, and that could well have been the case. What I did the second time probably has the same affect, and should be a lesson to others. I began installing the Mirage Drive right after I opened the sail. While the boat was moving, I was placing the Mirage Drive. As I maneuvered it into place, the fin came off. Now, I always make sure I am stopped and not under way prior to inserting the Mirage Drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Problem is most common with the pedals adjusted well aft (for shorter pedalers) which tips the drive spine forward if holding by the pedal shafts.

I can't imagine a fin falling off in this manor by simply installing the drive. It takes considerable torque to pull the brass nut through the fin. May have been another cause or hanging loosely from a previous outing.

Fyi... Hobie Mirage Kayaks are coming with a drive alignment pin feature since 2012 model year to help prevent mis-aligned drive installation. Way easier now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)