Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.kayakwars.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I participated last year, but since I actually have a job (and one that requires I work half of my calendar's weekends) I was consistently up against people with more time on the water.
I won't bemoan my lack of catches, that's not sporting. However, I definitely felt that the year long contest made me feel worse about my limited fishing time to the point where I felt pressured to catch something every time I went out.

Needless to say, I will not be participating this year. I'll do a few one-day tournaments instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of the folks fishing KW are fishing 4-5-6 days a week. Not to complain but unfair to the weekend fishermen :x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jcanracer wrote:
I participated last year, but since I actually have a job (and one that requires I work half of my calendar's weekends) I was consistently up against people with more time on the water.
I won't bemoan my lack of catches, that's not sporting. However, I definitely felt that the year long contest made me feel worse about my limited fishing time to the point where I felt pressured to catch something every time I went out.

Needless to say, I will not be participating this year. I'll do a few one-day tournaments instead.

I work weekends and have a job with a family .What does working a weekend have anything to do with it . I myself would rather fish during the week anyway. I to would like catch more fish and have a better standing in the kayak wars but would also like to catch fish every time I go out. Guess what thats why they call it fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rubone47 wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:

I work weekends and have a job with a family .What does working a weekend have anything to do with it . I myself would rather fish during the week anyway. I to would like catch more fish and have a better standing in the kayak wars but would also like to catch fish every time I go out. Guess what thats why they call it fishing.

i believe the concern is that many of the top teams and anglers are actually guides who fish several days a week, or er weekend :mrgreen: . if you have competed in past years, you are aware that it is totally a numbers game. the more you fish, the more you catch the more points you achieve. this particular series is set up for guides, captains and those who fish several days a week to trounce the weekend--or weekday, angler. the disparity in points from the top positions down reveals this as obvious. even more so, with several years behind them, more and more guides are realizing this and creating teams of just the guides themselves. i have talked to several in the business and this is what they are doing this year. you get a team of 5 guides from a couple of different areas, who each specialize in inshore, offshore etc, and you are going to see a SE team with 25,000 points this year. in perspective, a team of guys who fish a couple of days a month each, will likely be at a whopping 3,000 points.
with that noted and filed, i'll probably fishing the series this year. i expect i'll be more in the 3,000 point category.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What he said ^^^
I don't have the available fishing time to be competitive on Kayak Wars. I'm not bitter about it, I just don't want that stress on me this year.
For 2013 when I get to fish, I will enjoy it for all its worth regardless of catches. I thoroughly believe that a bad day of fishing is better than any good day at work :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok and I agree on all points but again its just for fun or maybe bragging points. So in the end who really cares, Im out there any way.Hell even when Im out fishing with friends Im looking to out fish them and there trying to do the same

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought the whole reason most folks joined these types of competitions was to have a built in excuse generator to get out more.

"Honey, I don't want to go out fishing again, but I have to. Some guy just pulled ahead of me in the standings. You know how important this is to us. If I do well in this tournament I am sure we will get our own reality TV show" :lol:

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I'm going to get a trophy, I want to know that I won it rather than getting one for just participating :lol: Having to compete against "Pro/Guide" teams isn't a level playing field for the typical fisherman. I will concentrate my efforts on individual tournaments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aaaand despite my protests, I got talked into participating again this year.
one of my teammates made a keen observation, "even if we don't win anything, you can think of it as a free online catch-log" which actually makes good sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I participate for fun...