Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

May be able to get away mid Feb to lower keys. Cudjoe Key then explore various keys, outer islands. Got the Turbo fins and they make a big difference. Also have a 100 oz. Platypus hydration bladder for a long day on the water, much better than my old Camelbak.

Should be fun. Been talking to a guy in NJ from Key West. Says there are plenty of lobster to be had down there by bully netting or diving with tickle stick and net.

Also taking some rods for fishing for Kingfish and Dolphin. Haven't done any of the above in Florida.

Know the regulations and license costs. Can't wait, jumping out of my skin to get there. Anyone done the above with advise or shared experiences?

Anyone used their Hobies in the keys for any of the above? Any advise or shared experienced VERY welcomed! Thanks.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

cudjoe is a great 'in between' key. not nearly as busy as islamorada or bone key. summerland is the next key up from cudjoe, and ive stayed there several times before.
my input as far as lobstering is to focus on the florida bay side. there are tons and tons of shallow water rocks and heads that hold tons of bugs. we could spend all day on one or two rocks and pick up several persons limits without ever moving a hundred yards.
but, for kingfish and mahi, thats going to be on the outside, obviously.

cheers.
drew

Last edited by uno mas on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Drew,

Wife, adult son's, and daughter going. This time of year on the Gulf side should be decent for finding a few bugs you think?

Thanks for the postive statement of "tons of bugs". Makes me feel as if we likely have a chance enjoying a taste or two of them while down there. Fishing will be a blast too.

We'll be there for a week and some great times and memories will be created I'm sure. First time with the yak in the keys.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

there should be plenty of bugs during that time. the key you are visiting is not really a winter destination, so there is less pressure over the winter. it gives the lobsters time to 'restock the rocks'. as far as finding them, the house we usually stay it is on the water....we've found limits in the marina where the boat was parked, tucked under rocks and shelves in the sea wall.
but for bigger bugs, and more numbers, look at google maps. look at cudjoe basin north of the key. check out where the big channel opens up into florida bay. see the drop off / change in color? no need to go quite that deep, but honestly most of the better bugs are in 12-15 feet of water, without scuba. that is a boat ride, and too far for even the most enthusiastic paddler, but hey, if you want lobster for dinner for months, thats the place to be. i remember a trip maybe two years ago--mini season, we anchored over 2 rocks right where i described, and picked up a 6 person limit two days in a row--from the same 2 rocks.
you dont have to be a pro to find lobsters. if you find a rock in 10 feet of water, chances are pretty good there will be lobsters under it.
i dont need to im sure, but i will remind you--stay within the law. the locals will turn you in, in a heart beat if you keep shorts or keep too many.

btw, my favorite way to enjoy spiny lobster is to boil it crawfish style, with zatarans' crab boil, potatoes and corn. ive never met anyone brave enough to suck the head on 3lb lobster, though. lol.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
look at cudjoe basin north of the key. check out where the big channel opens up into florida bay. see the drop off / change in color? no need to go quite that deep, but honestly most of the better bugs are in 12-15 feet of water, without scuba. that is a boat ride, and too far for even the most enthusiastic paddler

Awsome response and info Drew. I'm getting pretty fired up about this trip. Only doing the legal way, plenty there for everyone apparently. I have a AAA map specific to the keys it will be helpful and considering that Cudjoe isn't a prime winter destination, that makes it all the better.

How bout peddler? We have spent 6-7 hours peddling covering many miles in the river and just off shore in NJ when coditions permitted.

What kind of yak do you use Drew?

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune