Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone attempted to create daggerboards or center board(s) for their Getaway in an effort to point higher? Better question, was your attempt effective? :)

I have an idea that would be somewhat temporary that "might" work. My concern is that it would involve the makeshift daggerboards being fixed at about 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees. I don't know enough about the physics of sailing but I'm curious if a catamaran had daggerboards that were positioned at 70 instead of 90 degrees would this be less or more effective than the typical 90 degree design found on Hobie 18's, 17 sports, Wildcats etc. Furthermore, I've seen versions of modern daggerboards that curve inward towards the center of the vessel. So I'm curious, if daggerboards have no curvature and are at 70 degrees would this design be more effective at pointing higher than a typical "90 degree no curvature design?"

My makeshift design would be simple and unobtrusive to the structure of the vessel since I'm mostly looking to test the theory of the design rather than destroy my beloved Hobie Getaway. The design involves positioning a simple 5 foot wooden paddle between the wing seats and the hull right where the 7 hole adjusters are for the shrouds. Then secure the paddle at the wing seat and the 7 hole adjuster with LOTS of duct tape (Never under estimate the power of duct tape.) Ofcourse, some sort of protective cloth would need to be placed over the wing seat and 7 hole adjuster so there wouldn't be any duct tape residue left over after use. In addition, a protective cloth of sorts where the paddle touches the hull to prevent rubbing or scratches. Lastly, this fixed design would need to be installed in water deep enough to clear the paddle in the water.

Has anyone else tried something like this? Or know of the angle of the makeshift daggerboard would be effective? As almost any other sailor I'm curious about the variations of designs that may increase the pointing abilities of a sailboat.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ClamCounter wrote:
What are your thoughts?

This is not going to work or provide any benefit. Period.

A paddle is not a daggerboard. A paddle duct taped to the side of your hull is certainly not a daggerboard. If you want to improve upwind performance, get a boat that was designed to use daggerboards. Otherwise, accept the Getaway for what it is and enjoy it as designed.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe if you attached hobie tiger dagger boards some how to the shroud adjusters in a way so they are solid against the hull, u might see slight improvement. And I doubt duct tape could hold em there because there is a lot of force applied to a dagger board while sailing fast.

A paddle would only slow you down, also angle is much less important than the shape of the dagger board foil. That's why tigers have much better boards than an 18.

SRM is right, the getaway just ain't designed for dagger boards, and if u really want them change boats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want a boat with daggerboards, then buy a boat with daggerboards. The Getaway was designed to be used without them. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Red Green approved..

I think it is a fantastic plan..

It just won't really work. Not without a proper foil.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The best way I found I could point is by adjusting both jib sheets to get the jib closer to mast leaving about a 6 inch gap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like others, I doubt you would see much benefit from this. Pointing higher is a laudable ambition but daggerboards aren't the sole arbiter of how a boat points. Adding a board changes the CLR (Center of Lateral Resistance) which means your sailplan COE (center of effort) will be unbalanced by the CLR so you will likely have significant weather helm (based on your suggested position). You could change the mast rake to lose the weather helm by reducing the rake. I don't know if you've noticed, but the boat does point better and better the more wind you are in...it outpoints a windrider and weta in the waters where I live. Basically, the physics of the system can be simplified...you are trying to keep a beachball from being blown downwind...so you stick something into the water to give leverage. the deeper and fatter (surface area) the "something", the more leverage. Sure, it helps them be more efficient to be shaped like a foil, but leeboards were the first "somethings" and they generally had no shape. The getaway comes with rudders and skegs that have pretty significant surface area. If you want to point better, clamp or slide something onto the skegs and get deeper rudders.... Trouble with that is the forces on the skeg attachments would be significant if there was a lot of wind and if the attachments didn't break off, you might break off the skegs instead.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The most effective thing for upwind pointing on my Getaway was a small outboard attached to a Cheata mount. Sadly...I'm selling the mount in the classifieds section so I'll be pointing poorly like the other Getaway sailers.