Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got out and fished this afternoon. It was 70 degrees, water was 55 according to the FF. So with a slow bite, I decided to go in 15 minutes early and see how stable my PA 14 is. I bought it in October so it's been too cold to turtle/roll on purpose. I wasn't willing to push until I turtled or fell out but I was prepared in case. I was near the dock in 4 feet of water... took all my gear out too.

I stood up and rocked it as hard as I could. I'm 5'11", 260 lbs. I pushed pretty hard and never got water over the side. I got up close to the dock and put both feet on the same side of the boat (not on the gunnel) and bounced. No water in the boat. I put the H-bar up and rocked it as hard as I could without falling out and still nothing. I also sat down in it and rocked and leaned pretty far over. It'll tip back and forth pretty easily but then the secondary chine (?) catches it.

When the water warms up I'll definitely try to roll it but I don't see it happening without some external issues (caught off guard in big waves maybe?). I saw a video of a guy that rolled his in salt water in rough seas... Otherwise, I'm not sure it would turtle.

I want to be able to stand and fish a lot (pitch jigs in grass and slop frogs on mats). Even as stable as it appears, I'll likely add pontoons for added safety. It's one thing to fall out in open water... another beast all together to fall out in hydrilla/milfoil mats.

If you've ever fallen out/turtled a PA (14 in my case) I'd like to hear the story.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same results as you when I tried the PA14.
I fish from a PA12 and did roll it last summer in the river. Very little current and I was sitting. I think I know what I did wrong. I had the seat at its highest position, the boat was anchored using the anchor trolley. I caught a very small (maybe 8" ) trout. I didn't want to lift it from the water so I leaned to the side to unhook it. Next thing I know I was in 52 degree water that was arm pit deep. :-)
After I uprighted everything and got loaded back there was a friend close using a small pontoon, kick boat that smiled and asked if I leaned a bit too far to the side.
Morral of the story: lower the seat, use a net, and keep your head in the middle of the boat. :-)
Serious I realy enjoy the PA12 I am using.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

im embarrassed to say, i fell out of my PA12 during a tournament last year. actually i think it was tropical storm alice or whatever that first one was. funky wave, while i was leaning the wrong way. boat would not go over, so i sort of slingshot out of the other side. full foul weather gear, so i weighed about 300 pounds when i climbed back in.
and by the way, this was not a 'real' emergency, but in an emergency, i HIGHLY recommend climbing in the back of the boat. it is so wide, you have that big handle, and if you are tired or soaked like i was, you can easily drag yourself up the back. when you put weight on the back of the boat it tilts down into the water, allowing you to drag yourself up, without having to climb over gunnels or rails or anything.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 14 and have never turtle it. My son and I dive off it in the summer when the Texas heat gets to bad. I tried to turtle it. I had my feet on the rail and my hands on the other rail and had to rock it very hard back and forth to get it to flip over. So I think you would have to be off balance and a rogue wave catch ya to turtle.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a great idea testing your PA! I live in Colo and this past summer went out w/swim trunks twice to test my 14. Similar to a couple posts above I couldn't get mine to flip unless I grabbed a side bar and pulled. I don't have one but would warn anyone with an H-bar that if you hang onto the bar when falling you stand a pretty good chance of flipping! I haven't come even close to flipping my 14 and I've been in waves up to around 4'...although I'm sure it would flip if I hit a wave wrong!

Just as mentioned above, the easiest way to get back inside your PA is from the back. It's possible to get back in over the side-rails but pretty tough...especially if you have a fishfinder or any other gear in the way.

I would also advise tying a rope to at least 1 side-arm because my PA is nearly impossible to flip back over without a rope. I tied a couple knots in the rope at the right distances so the rope is easier to hold when pulling. I flip the rope over the back (top) of the PA, set both feet against the PA, bend my legs and pull backwards...using my body for leverage to pull the PA right-side-up. It is really simple to flip a PA over with a rope...however I couldn't flip mine back over in deep water without one! I only weigh 150 lbs soaking wet and imagine a heavier guy may have the leverage to flip one back over without a rope?

Anyway, made sure to wear a lifejacket and be prepared for the worse!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i think its harder to flip with mirage drive if u really wanna roll that sucker take the drive out

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my Pro Angler 12 for about 6 months now. We have been fishing on the South and West side of Oahu. Winds and swells can change unexpectedly and quickly. We are fishing pelagics in 20 - 50 fathoms. It can be pretty far offshore. We were fishing near Makaha on the West end, and a rogue wave got me while I was tying on a new rig in about 120 ft. Unfortunately, the center hatch was open when it flipped, and it took on a lot of water. I used the leashed paddle from the other side to right the kayak, similar to the rope that the others have suggested. I tried about a half a dozen times to get from the side, but I think it took on too much water and kept flipping over on me. I too got back on from the rear. It was pretty tippy especially in the bow. Used the bilge pump to get the water out of the hull. Even worse, my VHF radio failed when I hit the water and my LifeProof phone leaked. Couldn't call for help.
I am wondering if anyone has put ama's (outriggers or stabilizers) on a Pro Angler. From what I've read, I think the PA is too wide for the Sidekicks, so I'm looking at the Spring Creek stabilizers. The other question was where to mount them, just inside the front hatch, or behind the seat. From my experiences so far, I have noticed that it is difficult to control going down swell, and it feels a little tippy in the bow accessing the front hatch.
Are there disadvantages to having the ama's on the front, or the kayak at all, for steering and control of the kayak in bigger water?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd have to get a better look at the Spring Creek ones. Can they be raised from the cockpit? If not, I be hesitant to use them on the PA. They need to be moved out of the way when moving. I have no affiliation but I'm looking at the standnfish.com ones. They have mechanism attached to lift them up from the cockpit. They are a little more money but worth it in my opinion. Give them a call or email. The guy is very helpful in answering questions and making suggestions. They have a ton of pictures on the website too as well as some videos.

I have my bass boat up for sale. Once it sells I plan to order a set and try them. I fish on lakes mostly so I can't help you with the off shore part though.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have flipped my PA multiple times in the Gulf Coast surf.............so many times that I now come into the beach backwards (got tired of cleaning reels). By being backwards I can keep the bow of my PA into the oncoming waves.

In short, choppy surf waves the PA is very unstable.

Choppy surf:

One of my PA had a bad crack on the deck and in choppy waters I would take on water. The PA was full of water and I leaned to put a rod in a rod holder and it rolled on me. Easy to get right side and I had buddies to help me re-enter. I had to pump the water out to get to the beach.

The leak!

The PA is not designed for choppy, short surf waves but I make mine do because once past the surf it is soooooo comfortable and functional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've fallen out of my PA 14 twice so far.
One was caused by leaning too far to one side while trying to land a red drum who made a quick run once he saw the net & headed under the boat. I was afraid the braid fishing line would damage the fins & leaned hard to pull him out from under. The 2nd time also was just a lean-too-far incident.

In both instances, the PA had turned about 90+ degrees, but since I was in the marshes, it was only about 3 feet deep so I was able to brace the boat with one hand & right it before a complete turtle.

Two lessons learned. 1) keep head/body centered; 2) tether everything you don't want to lose!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yep...yesterday...considering the thing wont steer, i shouldnt have been out on it...was a river over shingles, was powering up, steering locked and over it went...

decided to shift some weight aft and install new rudder upgrade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few days ago I went out fishing in the Florida Keys. Upon returning to the boat launch I put the nose up on the concrete ramp. Swung my legs over the side like usual and then the boat started to move back off the ramp just as my feet hit bottom. Little of this slipping a little of that slipping and I fell in the water in less than three feet of water. I had my inflatable on and at least I got to test that. It inflated, fast and hard. Works great.

I have outriggers on my PA14. Started out with a straight length of one inch square tubing and six inch diameter Yoga exercise foam. Put in some 1/4 20 threads and used thumbscrews to attach the tube to the boat. Works great no way to tip it over. Even when both my lovely wife and I were aboard and we took on a whole bunch of water in the bilge (about 4 inches) the boat would try to tip with the water rushing to one side, but the outrigger would allow us to get back centered. I since have made up telescoping tubes to make it easy to deploy and retrieve the outriggers. Will take some pics as the new foam has arrived for the rear flotation and a quick setup will be done in the rear too. My outriggers ride about four inches above the water normally so there is no drag from them.

Here is a pic of the old system

Some random Modification Pictures