Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have found that it is more difficult to tie some knots that I preferred tying when on land or in a boat as one is more exposed to the wind and wave movement (not to mention the limited space).

For example; I used to use a double or triple surgeons knot to tie leader to braid but I have found it difficult to execute it well from inside a kayak. I now use an Albright knot. It is strong and simple to do and I seem to have no trouble tying this knot in a kayak.

I like to use a double clinch knot or perfection loop for my hooks. They are quick and easy and not too difficult to do in the wind and waves.

I tried rigging extra leaders the night before a trip but I found that storing them as well as handling the waste to be a major obstacle.

I would really like to hear what knots/techniques others like to use when in their kayaks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually carry several rods rigged various ways. When I have a broken/cut leader, I just switch over to another already rigged rod. When I do stop, I will re-rig, have lunch, check the phone, etc. Of course, that's when I hook up to a big fish on a line I have out while a soaking bait. It never fails, when your doing something else, you will catch fish :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I keep my rods rigged up with a very small 65lb SPRO type swivel at the end of my mainline. I'll rig up any hooks or lures I plan to use the next day with a 2-3 foot section of flourocarbon leader and store them in the hatch between my legs in the Outback. Then I simply attched the leader of the desired hook or lure to the swivel on my mainline with a uni knot. Quick and easy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies. I also use more than one pre-rigged rod/reel; usually 3 (2 for live and 1 for artificial or 2 artificial and one live (or chunk)) but lines do break (or frey) and I would really like to hear what works best for all. I guess it would be helpful to indicate the type of fishing you are doing. In my case, I primarily fish salt flats/inshore and I am progressing to inlets/offshore.

Thanks to all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a big fan of the uni-knot. It works great for line to lure or line to line (tied back-to back). Holds well in mono, fluoro, and braid.

Lately, I've been practicing and using the davy knot for line to lure. It is very quick, easy and uses up very little line. When I need more "wobble" in my line to lure, I use a non-slip loop knot.

All those and many more can be seen here http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Palomar knot.. Use it for 200 pound tuna and 2 pound trout.

Quick, easy and strong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl, I think that Pre-Rigging is key to success. I hate it when the bite is on and I find myself without a pole rigged and ready to go in the water. I keep a good amount of my favorite lures pre-rigged in bags or sometimes in my pockets. The rest of the lures go in the Tackle box. When the fish are hungry and they are bitting there is no time to rig anything. For that reason i bring a minimum of three rods. Don't know if it matters much the type of knot as long as it has worked before and it is ready...
Seems like the feeding frenzy window of opportunity is always very short when you are having fun.

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie Angler,

Maybe it's my fat thumbs, but some knots like the two Uni-knots RockyRaab mentioned for line to leader, are tough for me in the wind and waves.

Another challenge is how to store the pre-rigged lures and leaders on the kayak for quick and clean access.
Do you wrap your pre-rigged lures around something or do they just sit free in your bag or pocket?
I have been trying to come up with a contraption for a kayak that stores a rigged leader slightly taut with the flouro nice and straight and the hook set in something that will hold it in place with the pointed edge out of harm's way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've always used Uni-Uni for line to line and Polymer for line to lure. As long as I keep it from twisting over itself and wet it (except braid) I've never had any problems. The uni takes me a bit longer but the polymer can be tied in a few seconds.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://grassflatsmafia.com/Grass_Flats_Mafia/Ande.html

at the bottom of this page, there are two knots we use almost all the time. everyone has their favorite, and plenty of reasons as to why. the knots on this page are my favorites and the associated tying videos are super.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Palomar for hooks.

Uni-to-uni for leader to main line, especially fluoro to braid.

Improved clinch only when a palomar isn't feasible, such as small hook eyes or flies. Works best with mono & not well with braid.

I use duolock snaps tied with a palomar for lures & jig heads or whenever a loop knot would generally be used to give added action. You can change lures or rigs in a fraction of the time it takes to re-tie. I also hate tying loops.

If you get good with a Tie-Fast tool you can use nail knots for everything except loops. Essential for tying leader to fly line & stronger than uni knot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gas Yakker wrote:
Palomar for hooks.
Uni-to-uni for leader to main line, especially fluoro to braid.

X2 ... i switched to braid several years back & never use mono anymore. i use 40lb power pro & tie direct with a palomar knot...no matter if im fishing tops or jigs. if im fishing super clear water i will use a uni-uni with 25lb leader... about 3' long

http://lonestarkayakseries.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Always use a Palomar tying straight to hooks.

Uni-to-uni for leader to main line (Braid to Fluorocarbon/Mono).

Only use swivels if bottom fishing and need to add weights.

I only use Fluorocarbon leader.

I live in the south so we have a very big diversity of fishing opportunities that I take full advantage of.

Depending on the fishing I will do any of the following (have multiple spools to swap out with different line as well as a variety of rods that can be match up for different fishing conditions)

50 lbs Braid - 20 - 30 lbs Fluorocarbon. I use heavier Fluorocarbon when fishing rigs/rocks or am going for Cobia/King Mackerel/Grouper/Tarpon

20 lbs Braid - 15 lbs Fluorocarbon - This combination is used for Bass/Redfish/Speckled Trout/Pompano/Sheephead and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been fishing for over 40 years. I have been tournament fishing for over 20 years and have been guiding for the past eight years. I fish almost every day and almost without exception I tie the same knot. I have had this knot tested on a knot testing machine and it is as good as any other knot out there. It is fast and easy to tie in rough or windy conditions, even with lures that have many hook points.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI_J8Bk1eiM[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That reverse clinch knot looks interesting. It's basically a six-turn hangman's noose. It wouldn't work well with flies but with any lure heavy enough to hang straight, would be very good. Don't forget to lubricate the line when pulling it up, though. He fails to mention that, which is unfortunate. Snugging mono up dry can actually burn it and drastically reduce strength.