Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway sail on a Wave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone eve heard of trying a Getaway sail on a Wave? The mast is probably too short but I suppose it doesn't have to be completely raised. I'm sure it's way too big- 180 square feet vs. the 90 but it seems like an interesting experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Big miss-match. The Getaway main is far to large and longer in the foot. Unless you mount the Getaway mast on it and add a boom. Can't see how that would work. I think the larger mast would simply flip the wave or pitch pole it too easily... let alone break the bows off.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Big miss-match. The Getaway main is far to large and longer in the foot. Unless you mount the Getaway mast on it and add a boom. Can't see how that would work. I think the larger mast would simply flip the wave or pitch pole it too easily... let alone break the bows off.

Is there an aftermarket sail for the Wave that is bigger than the stock Wave sail?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I once put up a gataway sail on a wave. First it was hard to get it up the mast and then like it has been said there was a lot of left over sail. Helping a friend with a new used boat that he had gotten and didn't realize another friend had left his sail in the shed. Out come it would never work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
I have to replace the comptip on my Wave.

Would a TWIXXY mast and sail work on a WAVE to get more power easily (3 ft taller mast,15 sq ft more mainsail)?

I understand my U.S. Hobie dealer can now order Hobe Europe parts.

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have no information about the Twixxy mast and if it would work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Creative wrote:
mmiller wrote:

Is there an aftermarket sail for the Wave that is bigger than the stock Wave sail?
This man have slightly bigger aftermaket sail for wave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp7WSKnmGag. Skip to 11:22 mark for sail description.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

zojoe wrote:
Has anyone eve heard of trying a Getaway sail on a Wave? The mast is probably too short but I suppose it doesn't have to be completely raised. I'm sure it's way too big- 180 square feet vs. the 90 but it seems like an interesting experiment.

Does your Wave have a jib? It seems to me that that would be a much greater bang for your buck than trying to fit a larger main sail.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking that adding a Hobie 14 mast, boom and sail might be the easiest way to get more sail on the Wave. Any thought?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tradisrad wrote:
I was thinking that adding a Hobie 14 mast, boom and sail might be the easiest way to get more sail on the Wave. Any thought?

Once again, do you have a jib? A jib sail can develop twice the power per square foot as a main sail can since it's luff is not fouled by a mast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MITBeta wrote:
tradisrad wrote:

Once again, do you have a jib? A jib sail can develop twice the power per square foot as a main sail can since it's luff is not fouled by a mast.

Yes, I do have a jib and I love it. I even added extra hanks to the jib to keep the luff tight.
The more I think about a larger sail on the boat the more I realize that it's not really worth the time or effort. I am fortunate to have good winds here in the SF Bay Area and I have buried the bows on many occasion and with more sail I think the boat will spend even more time digging the bows in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I came across this ... posted yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOVc0tyi_VQ

Sail appears to be made by Precision Sails in Victoria BC. Video promo by Compass Adventures in Comox?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are you trying to accomplish? More speed? Get a faster boat in that case. I don't think the SF bay area suffers from a lack of wind, so more sail area won't, I think, make your boat faster, just throw off the balance and make it more likely to capsize or pitchpole.
I have a Getaway that I like a lot. That said, it's a slower boat than the H-17s I previously owned. The Wave is a nice boat too, but it's not going to be as fast as the glass boats. If it's more speed you want, then I think you need to consider changing boats.

Too many canoes and kayaks